Good DVR a VCR replacement

PKII

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
WV
Anyone find a really good DVR that acts just like a VCR with built in tuner and all that. That I can set to come on at a certain time and channel. And work exactly like a VCR? :confused:

Not wanting Tivo or Dish or Dtv DVR's just a regular VCR type DVR.

Anyone find a really good DVR that acts just like a VCR with built in tuner and all that. That I can set to come on at a certain time and channel. And work exactly like a VCR? :confused:

Not wanting Tivo or Dish or Dtv DVR's just a regular VCR type DVR.

Not cheap, but...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVDR3576H-Recorder-160GB-Built/dp/B0013WM0BQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247428216&sr=1-6"]Amazon.com: Philips DVDR3576H DVD Recorder with 160GB Hard Disc and Built-In Tuner: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31sA9AHa5OL.@@AMEPARAM@@31sA9AHa5OL[/ame]

As you mention, everything else either comes bundled with TIVO, or doesn't have an ATSC tuner.

Not cheap, but...

Amazon.com: Philips DVDR3576H DVD Recorder with 160GB Hard Disc and Built-In Tuner: Electronics

As you mention, everything else either comes bundled with TIVO, or doesn't have an ATSC tuner.

Looking at this a little more closely, it appears that Phillips manufactured this last year under Phillips and Magnavox brands:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-HDD-amp-Recorder-%2528H2160MW9%2529/dp/B0020ZW8P8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247429385&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: MAGNAVOX H2160MW9 HDD and DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner, Black: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/312zK0k%2B8CL.@@AMEPARAM@@312zK0k%2B8CL[/ame]

Looks like it was discontinued and not replaced. The resellers are having a field day with the left over units for a product that used to MSRP at $279. Also note that it was recently closed out at Target (Magnavox), so there may be one in their bargain bin. Worth a look.

Your original question is kinda confusing, because you say you don't want a 'dtv dvr', but you do want a dvr. DTV is for digital TV, so if you don't want a DTV one, then the only other option is analog tv, and those broadcasts went away (for the most part) in June. Methinks you want a digital TV recorder none-the-less.

This is a lot cheaper and acts like a 'VCR', I guess:
Dish Network DTVPal DVR

You don't need to pay any monthly fees, it's not required to be a dish network subscriber and it's a lot cheaper then the previous option listed. If you don't like that, you may want to clarify what you really want.

The comment about everything else either coming bundled with TIVO or no ATSC tuner is not true.

Hmmm, I could have sworn the original post said he wanted a DVD recorder with DVR capability. That's what I researched.

If its just a DVR, I agree on the DTVPal.

Hmmm, I could have sworn the original post said he wanted a DVD recorder with DVR capability. That's what I researched.

If its just a DVR, I agree on the DTVPal.
I agree too. I had to do a lot of sorting out of DVD recorders to verify that the DTV Pal DVR was the best fit.

Your original question is kinda confusing, because you say you don't want a 'dtv dvr', but you do want a dvr. DTV is for digital TV, so if you don't want a DTV one, then the only other option is analog tv, and those broadcasts went away (for the most part) in June. Methinks you want a digital TV recorder none-the-less.

This is a lot cheaper and acts like a 'VCR', I guess:
Dish Network DTVPal DVR

You don't need to pay any monthly fees, it's not required to be a dish network subscriber and it's a lot cheaper then the previous option listed. If you don't like that, you may want to clarify what you really want.

The comment about everything else either coming bundled with TIVO or no ATSC tuner is not true.
DTV = Directv :confused: at least to me that is what it means. :D

I want what a VCR used to do. Since everything is digital and VHS is going away and DVR's are coming. I need a DVR that will receive the new digital signals. However, I do not want one that requires the signal to come from Directv or Dish Network. Aka time recordings. Remember setting the VCR to come on at 8pm then go off at 11pm? A DVR that does that. :)

Last edited:
DTV = Directv :confused: at least to me that is what it means. :D

I want what a VCR used to do. Since everything is digital and VHS is going away and DVR's are coming. I need a DVR that will receive the new digital signals. However, I do not want one that requires the signal to come from Directv or Dish Network. Aka time recordings. Remember setting the VCR to come on at 8pm then go off at 11pm? A DVR that does that. :)

I agree the DTVPal name is confusing, but this is what you want. In this case DTV stands for Digital TV. It is one of those digital converter boxes with an integrated DVR. Pretty much a DISH 510 with a digital tuner instead of a satellite receiver on the front end.

Here is a link to the product: DTVPAL.COM Select the DTVPal DVR tab.

Apparently, this unit is only available from Sears Online:
DTVPAL DVR

I agree the DTVPal name is confusing, but this is what you want. In this case DTV stands for Digital TV. It is one of those digital converter boxes with an integrated DVR. Pretty much a DISH 510 with a digital tuner instead of a satellite receiver on the front end.

DTVPAL DVR
The link I gave above appears to work and is $50 cheaper than sears online (not factoring in shipping). So it may not be ONLY available through sears.

We ought to re-iterate to the original poster that this method doesn't require someone to be a Dish Network subscriber nor use a Dish satellite.

PKII, you can keep the $50 or the $300 for the savings tips. I'm feel like giving today. :)

Actually, I think it is necessary to emphasize that DTVPal DVR will only tune in over-the-air transmissions: It does not have a tuner capable of tuning in cable or satellite. It is the least expensive, ATSC-compatible (digital over-the-air) DVR currently-in-production for sale in the United States.

If you want to record digital television with satellite, you're currently limited by the choices they offer. They have both received waivers of regulations that would otherwise have required them to open their networks to other devices, and have elected to keep their networks closed in this regard.

If you want to record digital television with cable, there are some older, no-longer-in-production choices, but essentially the options are the TiVo HD (with lifetime service, you can often get it for around $700), and the Moxi HD (always comes with lifetime service, for about $800). Of the two, the TiVo is the only option that also could be used for ATSC signals (and simultaneously with cable signals).

It is interesting that none of the manufacturers that supply DVRs to cable companies or satellite services are willing to sell their devices to the general public. For the satellite receivers, that makes sense, since the satellite services have closed networks. However, the law requires cable companies to support customer-owned DVRs that support CableCARD. Still, Motorola, Cisco, and Samsung have no interest in entering the consumer marketplace. The most reasonable assumptions I've seen are that the cost of supporting consumers with devices so dependent on service provider networks is considered prohibitively expensive.

DTVPAL DVR

I seen DTVPal DVR posted someplace before but I thought it was some sorta Directv item. :eek: Thx for the info.

Yep, the DTVPal is what you really want.

I once thought I wanted what you stated, and got a DVD-RAM recorder. Worked well. But the DTVPal is so much easier, I haven't used the DVD recorder since. I have one DTVPal and might buy another.

Out of my price range for now. $299 :(

Do they have new VCR's that will pick up the new digital signals? :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)