Good install report

commodore_dude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Alpharetta, GA
Greetings,
I'd been a D* customer, but when I tried to use their mover's connection service a couple of weeks ago the installer who came out said I had too many trees at my new house, even though there was a 3lnb dish in the yard pointing through a convenient gap. Not sure why I didn't think to call Dish right away, but I settled on U-verse and after waiting 2 weeks and a no-show install I ordered Dish last night. The installer was out promptly at 8 am this morning and said he saw no problem using that gap in the trees - he just put the new dish on a taller pole to be safe. Good start so far... he was also willing to put the ground block inside my crawlspace as I requested (I did some research on this and it was within an acceptable distance to the copper pipe for grounding yadda yadda).

But the biggest thing that impressed me - whoever had installed the old D* dish had just run RG6 along the siding and punched right into the rooms. I find this disgusting, but I told the installer I was willing to use these wires for now and just go back later and run wire under the house (I'd already wired the house for Cat5 in preparation for U-verse so all the drilling and cutting was done). However, he offered to go ahead and fish new RG6 to the new outlets I'd put in for free! I was not expecting this (and yes installers, he got a good tip in appreciation). Dish definitely got off on the right foot with me! Hope to see some more HD channels that I'm missing from D* get added soon (CW, My Network TV, Speed being the top 3), but other than that I'm feeling good so far :up

Always good to hear. They did good good installing mine too. There coming tommorrow and upgrading my dish 1000 to a dish 1000 plus so I can pull in 118.7 so it should be as simple as just putting one dish in place of the other. :)

Good to hear about a job well done. Although that business about new HD, particularly CW and MyTV, I wouldn't hold your breath. The best option for those channels would be to pull the hd feeds in over the air, if possible.

Yeah, I'm going to probably try some rabbit ears and see what happens (not going to invest in a better antenna for only 2 channels, when I really only want them for ACC and SEC sports and there's less than a month of that left until September). HD nationals are of more interest :)

My very first installer was great. However, the next 4-5 I dealt with were absolutely pitiful. Most were meth heads I didn't want anywhere near my house, and I especially didn't want them in my house to see my 50" plasma based home theater. They all screwed up something I had to fix. So far, other then the first guy, the best installer I have dealt with was myself. I did my HD upgrade after it was messed up, I put a Dish up on 2 friends houses for them, and I put mine up at the new house I just moved into. I showed up right on time, ran a clean wiring job, didn't leave a mess, and the job was done exactly to my specifications!

I, too, just had an awesome (great) experience with an install. Sunday morning I lost all reception (kept searching for signal like in a check switch). Installer showed up and inspected the situation. He looked at me and shook his head in disgust, saying the install (upgrade to HD last fall) was really botched. Cables were stapled, and eventually shorted out the connection including ruining the switch and the 722. He immediately went to work ripping out everything, replaced the 2 dishes with a 1000, rewired the entire system, and set up a brand new 722. He was so neat no one would know anyone had ever done any work here. My expensive home theatre was left just as he found it as well.

I was so pleased I emailed his boss and cc'd the ceo office. Next morning I had an email back from ceo saying how pleased they were that I was pleased, then a phone call from the local guy wanting to know if it was working correctly. WOW

Great to post something positive for a change!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)