good morning america in hd

Yes I did too. It looks very nice. That is 720p I take it. Is there anything being transmitted OTA in true 1080i? I watched The West Wing last night (on NBC which broadcasts in 1080i) but it didn't look as sharp as GMA today which broadcasts in 720p.

Well, Video sources (like GMA) tend to look sharper than film sources (like TWW) to begin with.

Then there's the production aesthetics, and TWW has never been one that tries to wow us with their HD picture quality. If you go back to a season 5 episode, Access, which was shot in HD video, and it definitely shows a tremendously sharp picture.

Do I wish they had a sharper picture on most episodes of TWW? Yep. But that is the production staffs call!

Cheers,

Could the differance be between interlaced and progressive? I would say no in that my understanding is 1080i should be sharper however 720p would work better with fast action.

Just for info -
Film has always produces a softer image than live or tape. May producers (I'm a retired one) think film it gives viewers warmer feel to the show. Many of the old show like "All In The Family" were taped using excess lighting because the Norman Lear school thought it worked better than the softer film look. Some shows like Cheers wanted the softer look shot on film. Even some tape show's sharpe image were degraded/processed down to what is called a "film look" if the producer/director wanted a softer look to the show. That is why you will see the difference between TWW, a filmed show, and GMA which is live or taped delayed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)