GOOD News !!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

eddwall

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
I tried the following and it worked..

Router->Ethernet ->HIC->COAX->HIC->Ethernet->Hopper

I hooked up Ethernet to the second Hopper. Getting about 5.5 to 6 Mbs to the Hopper.

Hooked one sling to 1st Hooper (straight Ethernet from router) for the connection. On 2nd Hopper I used the above scenario for 2nd sling to that Hopper. Had both slings going at the same time to two different Iphones. Worked very well until daughter got on computer and started downloading & son started a blockbuster movie download. Ran out of bandwidth and things got a little frozen after that. Very pleased how the HIC worked . Wanted to try it this way instead of using tap and running Ethernet back through the Duo Node. Had several spare RG-6 cables to several locations and two HIC's for the test. All Joeys off 2nd Hopper can use the broadband from the HIC's. All is good

GaryPen said:
If you are running ethernet to your Hoppers, why are you using a HIC?

Did not have Ethernet at 2nd Hooper location. It would be a very hard Cat 5/6 run...lots of plumbing in that wall and attic space is at a minimum there too. I was going to use Wifi or something else, but since I had extra RG-6 cables
to use I decided to give the HIC's a try. Very pleased with results.

rglore said:
You have a little private MoCA network there just for the network connection, cool.

You hit right on the head.... My own MOCA network. Works very well !!

Once one hopper is connected to the ethernet , the other hopper and Joeys are also connected.No HIC is needed.

isaacmorseMI said:
So you can't use one HIC to give internet to 2 Hoppers?

Initially I wanted to use straight Ethernet from router. That was the first & best option. But the second Hopper could not see or use the broadband connection from Hopper one due to no integration between the two Hoppers. So I could have pulled the Ethernet connection from Hopper one and hooked up HIC and passed it through the Duo node, but I heard they were getting around 2.5-3Mbs going this route. So I thought I would let the HIC ride on its coax by itself and use as much bandwidth as possible.

odbrv said:
Once one hopper is connected to the ethernet , the other hopper and Joeys are also connected.No HIC is needed.

My second Hopper didn't see the broadband connection and couldn't download or get sling to work ......????....

According to the install rules the 2nd Hopper cannot use the 1st Hopper's broadband connection until full integration is enabled.

Attachments

• Hopper.Joey.Activation.Setup.Job.Aid_Page_4.jpg
    Hopper.Joey.Activation.Setup.Job.Aid_Page_4.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 99
sparc said:
why is the HIC listed twice in that diagram? you have two HICs?

Ethernet in & Ethernet out at the far end.... HIC's + COAX is just a means of extended my Ethernet network.

isaacmorseMI said:
So one HIC won't give both of your Hoppers broadband connectivity?

I could and probably will try it ... Run one HIC and put Ethernet into the duo node and check to see if the 4 Joeys & 2 Hoppers see the broadband connection . Just to see if it works and what kind of speeds I can get out to the far end. I thought I could improve my speed my using a separate COAX and not share with the other spectrums of frequencies for the tuners.

According to the install rules the 2nd Hopper cannot use the 1st Hopper's broadband connection until full integration is enabled.
If you look at the same install tips page 3, item 4 , It say once a hopper is connected to broadband the whole stystem is connected. Wow even the installation tips are inconsistant.

Run one HIC and put Ethernet into the duo node and check to see if the 4 Joeys & 2 Hoppers see the broadband connection .
that should definitely work as the node has no way of differentiating between either hopper for internet connectivity. It will have to pass internet connectivity to both. (unless there is some bug)

Yea...but if I can't get the speed of 5.5 -6Mbs to both Hoppers & all Joeys ... I will keep my current configuration and it's gives me a lot of flexibility to extend my network. I have a patch panel with several RG-6 cables. I can patch one COAX to another a have instant ethernet by plugging an HIC at that location.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)