Good Off Air Antennas/Amplifiers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dledeaux

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
Longview, TX
I was wondering if anyone could post about their experiences with various models of off air antennas and/or amplifiers. How far you are from transmitters, obstacles, and how well the antenna performed in those situations.

My Antenna

I am using a Winegard HD 7084. I live 40 miles from the closest broadcast tower. I used to have the Channel Master Stealth with amp. However I could receive every channel OTA except channel 2 wihch in Chicago is CBS and is low power and is very difficult to pick up where I live. Well ever since I installed this winegard 7084 I not only get CBS but it booms in as well as all other channels.

You can check it out here:

http://winegard.com/offair/offairmain.htm

Bill

I am in an apartment with a south view, and my local tower is southwest. I have a 15 story building blocking my direct view of the tower. So, I am frustrated that I am not receiving locals.

I have tried the TERK TV55 which picked up diddly squat. I bought a SilverSensor which if you hold it in the right place, scratch your butt and stand on your left pinky toe, will get two stations. i have successfully received OTA for all mapped stations with the antenna in different places, but have yet to find an all in one solution.

Anyone out there, PLEASE HELP!!! I don't want to be stuck without locals! I want my all HD locals...badly! Can anyone help me?

digi,
are you saying that all your locals are from the same tower? How far is the tower from your place?

And: that's what i am saying. about 17 miles away. the building that is in my way is about four blocks away, so there has to be something that could scoop up the signal for me. Would the TERK 42 work?

All of these stations broadcast from the same tower:

2 KDTN Cedar Hill PBS
4 KDFW Cedar Hill FOX
5 KXAS Cedar Hill NBC
8 WFAA Cedar Hill ABC
9 WFAA Cedar Hill ABC digital
11 KTVT Cedar Hill CBS
13 KERA Cedar Hill PBS
14 KERA Cedar Hill PBS digital
18 KTXA Cedar Hill UPN digital
19 KTVT Cedar Hill CBS digital
21 KTXA Cedar Hill UPN
25 K25FW Cedar Hill HSN shopping
27 KDFI Cedar Hill IND,Fox Kids
32 KDAF Cedar Hill WB digital
33 KDAF Cedar Hill WB
35 KDFW Cedar Hill FOX digital
36 KDFI Cedar Hill? to be IND, Fox Kids digital
39 KXTX Cedar Hill IND (to be Telemundo)
41 KXAS Cedar Hill NBC digital
42 KPXD Cedar Hill to be PAX digital
45 KDTX Cedar Hill? to be TBN digital
48 KSTR Cedar Hill Ind. to be Telefutura (spanish) digital
49 KSTR Cedar Hill Ind. to be Telefutura (spanish)
51 KFWD Cedar Hill to be TLMD digital
57 K57IG Cedar Hill Spanish videos-MMTV
58 KDTX Cedar Hill TBN
68 KPXD Cedar Hill Pax

digideal said:
And: that's what i am saying. about 17 miles away. the building that is in my way is about four blocks away, so there has to be something that could scoop up the signal for me. Would the TERK 42 work?

All of these stations broadcast from the same tower:

2 KDTN Cedar Hill PBS
4 KDFW Cedar Hill FOX
5 KXAS Cedar Hill NBC
8 WFAA Cedar Hill ABC
9 WFAA Cedar Hill ABC digital
11 KTVT Cedar Hill CBS
13 KERA Cedar Hill PBS
14 KERA Cedar Hill PBS digital
18 KTXA Cedar Hill UPN digital
19 KTVT Cedar Hill CBS digital
21 KTXA Cedar Hill UPN
25 K25FW Cedar Hill HSN shopping
27 KDFI Cedar Hill IND,Fox Kids
32 KDAF Cedar Hill WB digital
33 KDAF Cedar Hill WB
35 KDFW Cedar Hill FOX digital
36 KDFI Cedar Hill? to be IND, Fox Kids digital
39 KXTX Cedar Hill IND (to be Telemundo)
41 KXAS Cedar Hill NBC digital
42 KPXD Cedar Hill to be PAX digital
45 KDTX Cedar Hill? to be TBN digital
48 KSTR Cedar Hill Ind. to be Telefutura (spanish) digital
49 KSTR Cedar Hill Ind. to be Telefutura (spanish)
51 KFWD Cedar Hill to be TLMD digital
57 K57IG Cedar Hill Spanish videos-MMTV
58 KDTX Cedar Hill TBN
68 KPXD Cedar Hill Pax

Digi,
most of these channels are not digital, and you will not be able to watch them via Voom box. I am sure you are aware of this. Also, do you know whether your neighbors are getting the stations you are hoping for?

I don't know if my neighboors are receiving them, most of us are satellite or on cable. But, a majority of these are digital, and the major networks, in the least, are digital (which is what I want to view). No Apprentice tonight, it's killin' me!

The Terk antennas don't work well at all, for most folks. They are designed with aesthetics, and not reception performance, in mind. The only aesthetically pleasing solution with mildly acceptable performance is said to be the Winegard Squareshooter, which is rather expensive at $100. See more pictures of it here. VOOM would probably use this model by default if it didn't cost so much.

Other antennas designed with performance in mind include the Channel Master models 4228, 4221 (also known as 3021, smaller version of 4228), and 4248. The 4221 and 4248 run around $40, while the 4221/3021 costs about $20. These are UHF-only models, so they may not be the best choice if you are in one of those few markets with some VHF digital broadcasts. Warren Electronics also sells a variety of antenna mounts.

With all of these models, antenna orientation is very important, so you'll have to make sure it is pointing the right way.

I am on the fringe with a lot of trees (in NH). I ended up with a Radio Shack VU-190(?). The antenna is huge and is made by ChannelMaster (I think/was told). This is a uhf/vhf antenna and pulls in the major network stations from Boston (~50-70 miles away). I also have a rotor on it so that I can get the NH channel which is 90 degrees off of the MA stations. I still don't get the WB, UPN, or FOX because they are too weak. Maybe I will try an amp, but I don't have much hope for them.

One thing to consider, supposedly the plan was to move away from the UHF frequencies back to the VHF frequencies once the big conversion was completed, so you might want to keep that in mind if you are spending some serious $$$ on an antenna.

At least you guys are getting something! My install was 3/10 and I'm still waiting on an antenna. The subcontractor from Installs, Inc. here in SE North Carolina is putting a hold on installations period until they can solve the antenna problem in our neck of the woods. They are turning down orders for 10 installs per day because of all the call backs they are having to make on previous jobs with Stealth failures. I can't say as I can blame them. Surely Installs, Inc. can come up with a solution, in conjunction with V*, to deliver the OTA channels to us poor rural folks. It's bad enough that we don't have teeth! Now we have to keep our subscriptions to D* to get our national network feeds.

twalsh,

Perhaps if you had your own antenna pre-installed, and could confirm your reception, Installs Inc might be willing to make an exception for you. The CM 4228 antenna + CM 777x preamp is a popular combo for rural folks.

The conversion back to VHF isn't likely for another four or five years, regardless of what the mandate says, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

twalsh,

Perhaps if you had your own antenna pre-installed, and could confirm your reception, Installs Inc might be willing to make an exception for you. The CM 4228 antenna + CM 777x preamp is a popular combo for rural folks.

Ken, I had looked at the CM 4228, but the problem is my locals are broadcast in VHF already. I live in extreme southwestern Va and the locals come from TN, the towers are 50-60 miles away, what would you recomend?

Any suggestions for me? I need a UHF/VHF antenna with just a little more strength than the Stealth. On a very clear day I can receive all my channels, but usually my local CBS [light green range] does not tune. Occasionally I have problems with one or another yellow range channel too. I am 25 miles from the towers and my local NBC is VHF [channel 2].

I recommend the winegard

I live 40 miles awa from the towers and I am using the Winegard HD 7084.

Now I get all the channels booming in which never happened with the stealth and the amp.

bill

Videofx, do you have an amp on that Winegard HD 7084? Or just the antenna? How big of an antenna is it? My wife (and neighbors) are not too keen of the idea of having a huge monster up there on the roof.

Oddly enough, it would seem that my replies in this, as well as other threads, are being deleted?

Anyway, Radio Shack sells a 21-1560 UHF for about $22. It's the UHF element from their much larger VU-190, and if you only need UHF, it works great. I'm 35-40 miles outside Boston, and it works great at my house. Installed a second one at a friends house, works great on his HD system as well.

And if it doesn't work, you can take it back to Radio Shack.

Lob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts