Good old boys

Comptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Travelers Rest SC
I must say what pro tree companies wanted to remove a few huge trees was outrageous. Had some local insured boys take down three 60 foot poplars in the front yard, a hundred foot Hickory in the back yard that was dying and some 30 foot tall sweetgums in the 20 foot space between houses today for a thousand bucks I have a deep hole behind me, so but all of the trunk of the Hickory was sent down the the hill. Amazing to see the skill of saying we are going to drop this one straight down the driveway and do it. Glad to see some young people still have standards and work ethnics.

That would likely be at least $13,000 locally to me, for that many trees that tall in that tight of an area... Prices around here have more than doubled since "Covid".

I forget what my buddy I went to high school with told me how much just the insurance was for his tree company cost. But it was outrageous. That and vehicle registration, and commercial vehicle insurance Comp. If they just dropped those trees and left them where they lay. You got a deal.
Forestry and tree service is big up here. There are log trucks running up and down my road today. Jake brakes and all.

There 'were' 15 maples lined along the road in front of my property that my dad and me tapped in the still snowy early spring and made maple syrup. That was the mid 70's. They are getting old. Well over 100 years old. They were big from aerial photos from the late 40's. 2 were cut down and hauled off some years ago and last summer lightning blew another one over.
It cost $375 to have a crew come and cut it up and haul it. I would have cut it for fire wood but lightning and firewood don't exactly make anything but a smoldering wood stove of stink.

The standing trees, when I asked what it would cost to get a few that are really showing their age cut and hauled away were quoted at around $3500-5000 apiece. I had to change my jeans!

Tommy passed on a few months ago. That dude and his crew could choreograph felling trees in tight places like a boss. And he climbed them like a scared cat. A plus for him was good trees got hauled to the sawmill and he had a firewood processor and a few guys to run it.

I forget what my buddy I went to high school with told me how much just the insurance was for his tree company cost. But it was outrageous. That and vehicle registration, and commercial vehicle insurance Comp. If they just dropped those trees and left them where they lay. You got a deal.
Forestry and tree service is big up here. There are log trucks running up and down my road today. Jake brakes and all.

There 'were' 15 maples lined along the road in front of my property that my dad and me tapped in the still snowy early spring and made maple syrup. That was the mid 70's. They are getting old. Well over 100 years old. They were big from aerial photos from the late 40's. 2 were cut down and hauled off some years ago and last summer lightning blew another one over.
It cost $375 to have a crew come and cut it up and haul it. I would have cut it for fire wood but lightning and firewood don't exactly make anything but a smoldering wood stove of stink.

The standing trees, when I asked what it would cost to get a few that are really showing their age cut and hauled away were quoted at around $3500-5000 apiece. I had to change my jeans!

Tommy passed on a few months ago. That dude and his crew could choreograph felling trees in tight places like a boss. And he climbed them like a scared cat. A plus for him was good trees got hauled to the sawmill and he had a firewood processor and a few guys to run it.
They dropped them, then picked them up with a excavator and sent them down the deep and steep woods in my backyard,

The best deal I ever got on tree removal was years ago when my wife and I had been discussing getting a quote to drop a couple of 60-70 foot deteriorating trees near our property line. A new neighbor came over one day with a tree service foreman in tow. The neighbor asked what it would take for us to let his tree crew take down three trees along our mutual property line that were blocking the view for the C-band satellite dish he wanted to install. Two of the trees were the ones we had been discussing taking down, and the other one was one that didn't matter to us. Being a good neighbor, we didn't ask for any compensation, just that we had it writing that all damage would be repaired and all evidence of the trees would be removed. The neighbor and the tree crew were as good as their word, and after removing the stumps and filling the holes, the area was completely seeded.

I thought of that event several years later when I was clearing trees around our new mountaintop home and dropped a few that would block my own planned C-band dish installation. I didn't have to ask permission though... ;)

Reactions: navychop