Good riddance Joe Clayton

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
Well today is Joe Claytons last day, and I'll be the first to say good riddance.

Been almost 4 years now, and I have seen nothing good.

Granted the Hopper system was an improvement, but that project was well within the works well before he took over as CEO.

No real subscriber growth under his control, and the situation with the retailers has been worse than ever.

Hopefully charlie realizes this and will turn the company around.

I think the biggest thing he accomplished was increasing Dish's brand awareness. In the past most people only thought of Direct when they talked about satellite TV but now I think Dish pops in their more than it use to. Their marketing was much better as well. These are things that we knew Clayton did well though.

Claude, did the appointment of Clayton to CEO coincide with things going downhill for the retailers? Was it better under Charlie, or were problems beginning to start before Clayton came and then got worse under him? Maybe things can change if Clayton was part of the retailer problem, and Charlie can implement some changes. Supporting local retailers and making sales more attractive for them could prove to be an advantage for Dish in customer service.

If Clayton had been allowed to match the competition and provide $200 gift cards, payment of at least part, in some cases all, ETF's for people switching to Dish, the subscribers numbers would have been decently upward. The problem is, when Charlie was CEO, we had several qaurters (YEARS) of declining subs and even old Charlie couldn't turn those numbers into meaningful positives.

Now, witness Dish with new the $200+ savings challenge over a YEAR, which is a watered down, delayed $200 gift card facsimile--not the cool $200 in the pocket of a new sub from day one. We all know WHO was saying, "No!" to such a match of competitors with the $200 just for switching and not having to prove anything a year later. Um, I think it was board chairman Charlie, ya think?

The only way Dish can get some of those subscribers who are choosing DirecTV, especially, and some Cable Co's. is to MATCH their giveaways and introductory pricing. I do know of a number of folks who choose DirecTV ONLY because they wanted the $200 gift card. Of course, the gift card has/is being used by Verizon and other MVPD's with Dish being the most significant exception.

I've been on both sides. I think the reputation for losing channels to "keep customer bills lower" while customer bills were rising just like the other guy "see Directv" hurt the most.

Dish always led on technology, but Directv kept the channels on mo' better.

I think two of the biggest things keeping DTV sub numbers much higher than Dish is the NFLST monopoly, and the fact that it is much easier to account stack with DTV.

I think two of the biggest things keeping DTV sub numbers much higher than Dish is the NFLST monopoly, and the fact that it is much easier to account stack with DTV.

There is not enough account stacking going on where it would make a difference in subscriber numbers.

Sunday ticket is a factor but only in August and September.

People are not thinking of Sunday ticket the other 9 months out of the year.

Sure the question came up but selling dish I can say it's only a deal breaker in those 2 months of the year.

Directv also has a 24 month commitment, don't they? People don't sub to them just during football season...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is not enough account stacking going on where it would make a difference in subscriber numbers.
You would think. Just from an anecdotal level, I know of 4 DTV subscribers within my circle of co-workers/family. 2 of them are stacking, and they are both parent/child relationships.

Sure the question came up but selling dish I can say it's only a deal breaker in those 2 months of the year.
My brother has DTV. I keep trying to convince him to come to Dish. All throughout the year I try. His answer has never changed. "I'll move to another company when they have the ST". The folks spending $300+ on a football package, think about football year round. Not just during the season.

Reactions: navychop

Sunday Ticket is a factor in Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec, and a bit of Jan...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dish paid the price for those retrans and other programmer cat fights
There have been no mass defections during retrans negotiations and temporary loss of channels. Unless the channel being lost fora period is going to be ESPN, people, in general, just don't leave in mass numbers.

The only way to for Dish to compete with MVPD's who are giving people $200 to switch to their service, is for Dish to give people $200 to choose them, instead of the competition, not old iPADS and other such items, but those lusted after gift cards. One has to MEET the competition, and Dish is NOT meeting the competition.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
There have been no mass defections during retrans negotiations and temporary loss of channels. Unless the channel being lost fora period is going to be ESPN, people, in general, just don't leave in mass numbers.

The only way to for Dish to compete with MVPD's who are giving people $200 to switch to their service, is for Dish to give people $200 to choose them, instead of the competition, not old iPADS and other such items, but those lusted after gift cards. One has to MEET the competition, and Dish is NOT meeting the competition.
I keep getting the $200.00 gift card come back deal from Directv every week in my mail box. If I didn't hate Directv so much for the last time I had them and they screwed me royal on the break up fee, I would really consider it. If DISH ever stops giving me credits off of my bill , I might have to reconsider Directv's offer.

I think Mr. Clayton changed things for the better, did he do things a bit cheesy, sure he did but I think the company is marketed much different then it was before and while I know he may not have a direct link look at some of the sports options right now available, not bad for the provider that hates sports :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts