good signal strengths but still Error 002

MikeCTM2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
02 530i sport
i have a Dish 500+ , DP34 switch , and a 311 receiver. i get one international channel (ch. 726 Prosieben). i moved the end of june to this new apartment or 'cottage'. the tv has been just fine until a few days ago i got a black screen. then today turned it on and there was the 'Error 002' message for my channel 726. i looked at the 3 signal strengths. 119 was 125, 118 was 52 and 110 was 60 or 70 something (rather low lower tone but still green). then five minutes later the intl' channel (ch. 726) came in. then i went to another channel and then a couple minutes later back to ch. 726 and only the Error 002 came up. looked at the signal strengths and they were 119 at 88, 110 at 110 (easy to remember), and 118 West at 53. all three green bar. then i checked a few minutes later and 118 was 32 then flashed 0 then 33 then 0 then 33 and stayed at 33. then a bit later with still the Error 002 on ch. 726 and i checked the 118 signal strength and it was 53. so 118 was always at 53 except one time i remember it did that 33, 0, 33, 0, 33 thing. and then that weird initial signal check when 119 was 125 (i had never seen a signal strength like that before) then 88 every time after. and when 110 was 60s or 70s then 110 every other time.

that was my experience. can anyone explain that? is my receiver broke? i know that the 'line of sight' for the Dish 500+ is tight, meaning it barely clears an eve. i've been watching tv for about three weeks though. the 118.7 and the eve haven't moved. i have been planting plants and lightly bumped the Dish. but i did that too during the course of the past three weeks. the other things to mention is the 311 is plugged into a 'high-end home audio' power bar. this power bar brags that its supposed to boost the flow (Aural Thrills Audio). also i painted the plastic covers of the lnbs to match the top trim of my fence since i'm downstairs now i didn't want the Dish to get stolen or vandalized. and no i didn't paint like a moron:). with a little paint brush i just lightly painted the lnb covers not getting any paint anywhere around the lnb's eyes or connections. just paint on the gray plastic. i've been watching tv for weeks since that. my equipment is 1 month shy of being 12 months old. Do i need a new receiver ? Did a little painting cause damage to lnbs? Is the Dish out of alignment (but then why are all the signal strengths good)?

i appreciate the help.

for others learning experience i'll explain what happened today. evidently on the 118.7 36 to 37 signal strength isn't strong enough and 38 to 39 is. this is all on transponder 19. this morning i had Error 002 on ch. 726 with a signal strength of 36, 37 on the 118 on tr. 19. this afternoon i get a perfect picture on ch. 726 with the 118 on tr. 19 being 38 to 39 and tripping to even 40 now and then. i remember a Dish installer said once with the signal you either get it (and get it fine) or you don't. well i now know that first hand that is true. the receiver is fine, the lnb's on the 500+ are fine, the Dish is just slightly tweaked out of alignment because i bumped it i'm guessing. each bump maybe brought down the signal strength a little and i never knew it. now with the last bump it finally brought it to borderline, or occassionally losing the signal. i'd love to know for sure what transponder i should be checking the signal strength of the 118 on. i had thought it was tr. 04 before. also, i think the different signal strength readings were just me not noticing at one thirty am that it wasn't on the same tr. every time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)