Google and Dish make highest 1st round bids for Hulu

Given Google's propensity for keeping content (never delete), I'm rooting for Google and their demand for more content. There are a ton of old shows out there that are not available on DVD, nor streaming that I would love to see made available. I did two 30-day trials on Hulu, and exhausted all the content I wanted to watch on Hulu in that timeframe.

I probably don't fully understand the business end of Hulu, but it seems like they are fully dependent on the networks to allow them to have and charge for the content. What if Dish (or Google - unless Google's conditions are addressing this) gets Hulu and then the networks don't renew whatever contracts they have? Wouldn't the networks at some point want to market their own online streaming of their shows?
Maybe there's more to it than that?

Either way, it is a win-win situation for Dish Network. Either you will be able to stream Hulu shows to your 722K receiver or be able to stream it through GoogleTV if Google wins out.

I probably don't fully understand the business end of Hulu, but it seems like they are fully dependent on the networks to allow them to have and charge for the content. What if Dish (or Google - unless Google's conditions are addressing this) gets Hulu and then the networks don't renew whatever contracts they have? Wouldn't the networks at some point want to market their own online streaming of their shows?

I think the idea is that deals that Hulu currently has or recently renewed will carry over to Hulu's new owner once they are purchased. Content providers are dealing with Hulu as a content distribution channel and not Hulu, the company that is part owned by FOX, Comcast, etc. Especially since content providers are starting to double down on their streaming rights now that they know they can charge many many times what they have been asking for before. The less wheeling and dealing an online distributor needs to do to get video up on the web, the better.

What makes you say that? What part(s) of Google don't you like? From what I can tell, Facebook is more likely to be losing folks than Google.

Well I signed up my wife for GooglePlus yesterday being a friend of hers asked she join. I adjusted every security/privacy setting it would allow me to do. Then I saw it has those mini games you can play like Facebook does. Clicked on 1 so I could see how GooglePlus handles it. What happened next affirmed my dislike of Google. In order to play the game you have to accept the relinquishing of your profile and all your "friends" profiles to Google in order to play. I did not accept and it will not skip that relinquishment. I tried multiple games and every one had the same screen come up.

I don't want content tailor made, I don't want anyone tracking my internet usage in detail. What I do is my business as long as it is legal. You want basic info from cookies such as operating system, browser,etc, ...then fine. I see the need for that. I try to use Google as little as possible for those reasons.

I have no use for a company or service that feels they are beyond the law. To me Google falls into this area. And to be honest I am not too thrilled with Facebook. But at the moment I seem to be able to control Facebook better.

It is said Dish's main interest in Hulu is actually the back end technology. Hulu does a huge amount of streaming on demand...

Well I signed up my wife for GooglePlus yesterday being a friend of hers asked she join. I adjusted every security/privacy setting it would allow me to do. Then I saw it has those mini games you can play like Facebook does. Clicked on 1 so I could see how GooglePlus handles it. What happened next affirmed my dislike of Google. In order to play the game you have to accept the relinquishing of your profile and all your "friends" profiles to Google in order to play. I did not accept and it will not skip that relinquishment. I tried multiple games and every one had the same screen come up.

I don't want content tailor made, I don't want anyone tracking my internet usage in detail. What I do is my business as long as it is legal. You want basic info from cookies such as operating system, browser,etc, ...then fine. I see the need for that. I try to use Google as little as possible for those reasons.

I have no use for a company or service that feels they are beyond the law. To me Google falls into this area. And to be honest I am not too thrilled with Facebook. But at the moment I seem to be able to control Facebook better.

Then obviously you haven't looked in detail at what you're giving apps permission to do with Facebook....

Its going to be googles... Charlie can't throw enough money at it and won't... He's to cheap! Google may have stipulations, but in the end, how can you turn down that amount of money when google is offering at least triple of what dish is... I don't care what the stipulations are, Hulu will be bought by google because money talks, so charlie will walk. I just don't see dish getting this one with the amount of money google is throwing at Hulu.

Its going to be googles... Charlie can't throw enough money at it and won't... He's to cheap! Google may have stipulations, but in the end, how can you turn down that amount of money when google is offering at least triple of what dish is... I don't care what the stipulations are, Hulu will be bought by google because money talks, so charlie will walk. I just don't see dish getting this one with the amount of money google is throwing at Hulu.

The same way Staz walked away from Netflix. It is no longer about the highest amount of $$ they can get, but about preserving the golden goose that is the tons MORE money they make with MVPD's. Hulu may not like the restrictions, no matter how much $$ is thrown at them. They are actually thinking with their heads this time instead of their short-term greed. It is now about the LONG-TERM greed.

It is different for Dish--or any MVPD--as they have existing relationships with the content owners and providers. With MVPD ownership, they could easily agree to allow only subscribers of the content owners/providers channels on an MVPD for viewing or have some other clever tie-in. Also the MVPD's do have some leverage: The content owners/providers need the MVPD MORE than the other way around in today's world. But, Dish would still get the back-end that in itself is valuable.

Also, sometimes competing companies make bids just to drive the price up or put pressure on the competition to either drop the conditions or just pay more. So, one doesn't not know how serious Dish is in bidding for Hulu. I would bet the latter reason. Never make it easier or cheaper for the competition to acquire something when one can bid for mischief.

u must really hate dish network then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)