Google buying Motorola Mobility

This will probably take some time to digest (and have the smoke cleared)...

Competing with your own customers is never a good idea but it looks like Google felt vulnerable to all those sharks threatening the Android ecosystem.
This won't make the Oracle lawsuit go away, but Microsoft might have to slow down with their $5-$15 per Android handset crusade...
And Apple's intimidation campaign against Samsung and HTC might lose a bit of steam.

Reportedly, Google is going to pay $12.5B.
That looks like pocket change when considering it would probably take half that much to win the bid for Nortel patents.

I just hope they will kill MotoBlur and embrace stock Android on their mobile gadgets...:)

Diogen.

Thread needs to be moved to the correct forum. Motorola Mobility is a phone maker.

At this point stock holders are not favoring the offer, considers Google over bid for the company. GOOG is off by about 1% when the market for all sectors is up this morning. MMI is up by 57% I would have been happier if Google acquired htc as I think htc is a better run company with better products but then I haven't looked at the fundamentals on either. Opinion is just on gut feelings that MMI is not as strong a phone maker, but MMI has lots of IP that certainly has good value.

Last edited:
I've merged and moved the threads. It could go in either, but my gut was saying it primarily belonged in the Phone Zone. So I listened to my gut. :)

And right now, my gut is saying feed me... ;) :D

If only Motorola would dump blur, but I'm not holding my breath waiting. The bigger question for me is the unlocked bootloader.

meStevo- I think you are right. The key motivation for the acquisition is the IP assets. Google has shown in the past it does not want to be a hardware company. That is why they are leaving MMI to operate independently. Google is primarily an advertising business. Everything they do is to support an ad revenue stream. But their work in the mobile phone OS may have put them and their android phone makers at risk of Patent infringement. This protects everyone and continues to pave the way to an even better ad revenue base. Kind of convoluted business plan but then what plan is simple these days?

Here's one for you- Apple needs to buy Facebook! To be a complete tech company, they are still missing the social media business.

Been looking at the business in MMI and I now see that this largest Google acquisition will spring Google into a whole new level.

This sounds interesting now. Google will have a strong foothold on the phone market with their own big name phone brand.

I think they probably will cut back on Blur. I just read this morning where Moto said earlier that they were cutting back on Blur. This was before Google bought them.

MARKET TALK: S&P Equity Not So Fond Of Google After Motorola Bid
3:25p ET August 16, 2011 (Dow Jones)
MARKET TALK: S&P Equity Not So Fond Of Google After Motorola Bid
3:25 (Dow Jones) Google's (GOOG) $12.5B deal to acquire Motorola Mobility (MMI) poses "greater risk" to the Internet giant and its stock, according to S&P Equity, which slashes GOOG all the way to sell from buy. "Despite MMI's extensive and valuable patent portfolio, we are not sure it will protect Android from [intellectual property] issues." S&P Equity sharply cuts its 12-month price target on GOOG shares to $500 from $700, saying MMI would hurt GOOG's growth, margins and overall balance sheet. The stock hasn't reacted to the news, and remains down amid the broader market's slide, recently trading off 3.6% at $537.08. (steven.russolillo@dowjones.com)

The stock has continued to fall and now this just hit them while they are down. Why is Google now the whipping boy of the industry? Has Al Quaeda taken over S&P? First the US government downgrade and now Google.