Google call

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I am using it for voice and used video between me in LA and daughter currently in Atlanta. Both modes worked and of course are free for US calls.

The call forwarding to almost any number is also very nice.

Try it, it's free.

Really??????? You don't even know me and you have to make that kind of assumption about me?
Given that web cameras with built-in microphones are available for under $9+S&H and your lamenting not being able to use a free service because you don't have one, what else is one to assume?

Given that web cameras with built-in microphones are available for under $9+S&H and your lamenting not being able to use a free service because you don't have one, what else is one to assume?

Hmmmm.....Let's see.

1. If I want to talk to someone I call them with my cell phone or home phone, both have free long distance.

2. I don't know anyone overseas so I don't need a service like skype so I don't need a web cam.

3. I never wanted to do video chat.

So it's not because of the reasons that you assume are the reasons, so why don't you just leave me alone.

I guess they want to battle Skype.
As mentioned in an article linked here, it might be Facebook they are after, not Skype.
This service is very useful for consumers outside the US that don't have the GoogleVoice option
but for the US consumer GoogleVoice is doing everything what Skype does and then some, for a while.

I believe the Facebook argument.
It looks like the fight today is to keep people within your app/site/interface as long as possible.
For Google this is the browser (what will become the OS shortly). This is the reason so much effort is put into Chrome:
6 versions in 2 years, Apps, Calendar, Buzz!, Video Chat, etc. all gets hooked into the browser.

Diogen.

Also mentioned, Google would have trouble clearing antitrust concerns if buying Skype.
Wouldn't Skype need to be a money making proposition for this to be an issue? It seems like at the prices they are charging (and only if you use Skype to non-Skype), they can scarcely afford to maintain a billing system much less make a pile of money.

Don't forget that Magic Jack is still around.

Wouldn't Skype need to be a money making proposition...
I don't think so.
If allowed, Google would be more than happy to buy Skype one day and kill the next, I think. What is $5B if your annual revenue is $20B+...

I believe at this point it is mind share that counts.
After the dust settles, the result of this battle will be decided between Ciscos and Googles of this world and not Skypes and MagikJacks.

Fortunately, SIP is standardized and you can always resort to other means of communication...

Diogen.

I don't think so.
If allowed, Google would be more than happy to buy Skype one day and kill the next, I think. What is $5B if your annual revenue is $20B+...
Microsoft makes these kinds of acquisitions almost weekly and nobody is heard from afterward.

eBay bought Skype for 2.6B and I think they'd have a tough time explaining why they bought it and why they haven't done more with (or killed) it. I suspect it is more of a "he who dies with the most toys" mindset and that's not likely to get gummint protection.

Google Call with Youtube and Facebook would be very nice integrations into those sites.

I was using Google Chrome until it wanted to crash (particularly the java crashes) so I quit using it and stuck with Firefox. Has Chrome been fixed this year to address some of those problems? Don't it have built in web browser accelerator (like earthlink and some other dialup providers have)? I remember google had their own add on accelerator but done away with it. Perhaps that is due to it being built into Chrome?

I imagine Google Call will be built into future versions of Chrome and their new OS coming soon.

I was using Google Chrome until it wanted to crash (particularly the java crashes)...
I haven't seen Chrome crash for good 6 months now, while using mostly betas...
Don't it have built in web browser accelerator...
That will come in v.7
I imagine Google Call will be built into future versions of Chrome and their new OS coming soon.
It is built into GMail. And probably will stay there.

Diogen.

I will have to try Google Chrome again. Google does not offer its accelerator anymore but I think I have the software saved from where they used to have it. If I have that software, will it still work? I know the software from EarthLink Accelerator worked really well. Sometimes this satellite broadband connection gets slow.

I seen where Google has a suite of software that you can download and am wondering if Google Call is in the list of that suite of software you can download as a package. DSL is coming to my area by the end of the year so hopefully they will still have some free usage available. I know that VoIP does not work well on satellite broadband.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)