Google Fiber Goes Live in Kansas City

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DustoMan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 9, 2010
Sparta, Wisconsin, United States
Every ISP should be building up their infrastructure to offer service like this:

1,000 Mbps Up/Down
No CAPS, Throttling, Overage Fees!
1TB of Cloud Storage

"Google Fiber Television" box similar to GoogleTV.
Bluetooth Remote
Records up to 8 channels at the same time
Pairs with an Android or iOS Tablet or Phone that can be used as a remote with voice search. Future update will allow video streaming to device.
Ethernet and Wifi to extend Google Fiber to other devices near the box
Netflix and YouTube support

Network Box
Gigabit Routing/Firewall
Wifi a/b/g/n 3x3 MIMO

Storage Box
2TB Drive - Records 500 hours of TV that can be accessed from any TV in the home.
Also stores you own videos, music, photos.

Pricing:
$300 construction cost to bring the fiber to your home
Two Plans (Construction Fee waived):
$120 Fiber + TV
$70 Fiber Only
Special free 5down/1up plan (Just need to pay construction fee or $25 for 12mos)
Nexus 7 included with service.
$299 Chromebook Offer

More Here:
Google Fiber launches in Kansas City, promises 1000 Mbps up and down | The Verge
https://fiber.google.com/plans/residential/

Well hopefully this is a huge success and it expands beyond the demo market to foster more competition.

Everything sounds amazing about this until you look at the channel selection; no Time Warner, Fox, Disney/ABC, AMC, BBCA channels. No ESPN = no sale for me. I don't live in KC anyway and, if this ever goes nationwide, hopefully the channel selection will be better in the future.

Everything sounds amazing about this until you look at the channel selection; no Time Warner, Fox, Disney/ABC, AMC, BBCA channels. No ESPN = no sale for me. I don't live in KC anyway and, if this ever goes nationwide, hopefully the channel selection will be better in the future.

Yea I noticed the channel selection isn't so great.Who cares about the tv portion anyway,the internet speed would sell it for me.

Yeah, my interest in this is all about the Internet side of things. Ridiculous bandwidth with no caps at a reasonable price. Or, pay $300 up front for free basic Internet. That would pay for itself within a year. If google succeeds in this endeavor, it will be beneficial to consumers and very disruptive to home broadband providers (who are currently making ridiculous amounts of profit as compared to their margins on traditional tv and voice services).

Without hesitation I would get on that just for the internet. I won't hold my breathe though, I can't even get fios internet here.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

When I do a trace route most IPs require 13 - 17 hops back to the server. Even if your local ISP offered the same bandwidth that Google does in KC, your bottle neck would just move upstream on the network or even back to the server.

Once you have enough bandwidth to stream video in HD how much more will most people be willing to pay for? Without paying customers to justify the investment mega back haul networks aren't going to be built. Same problem with larger and faster server farms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts