Starlink goes to work...

NYDutch

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 28, 2013
Where our wheels go
Starlink is already serving the public good during the rebuild of fire devastated Malden, WA...

WA-SpaceX.png

Got my notification of availability today. Equipment I can handle. Monthly subscription? Come on Elon!
Will stick with my cable 'net. If that pees me off anymore for 5 bucks more a month I can go the Tri-County REC's newly run fiber.

1613614370480.png

I saw the availability email for our Northern Lake property. It would make an interesting addition to the antennae already there. By-in from my siblings, though, may be tougher to swing, but I would counter with subtracting the Dish account to make it closer to what we pay for the DSL alone.

Reactions: NYDutch and KE4EST
The deciding point to me would be the speed and dependability of service. Would the recent snow storms prevent service or even rain fade?
Everything that I have seen seems to indicate that Starlink is not significantly impacted by snow or rain. There may be slight speed reduction, but it could also be attributed to the less than complete coverage in the beta phase of service.

The Starlink dish produces enough heat to melt snow and ice, and the dish is usually at an angle where the melted precipitation runs off.

One problem with searching YouTube for Starlink in Heavy Snow is there isn’t a before and after comparison on the ones I found. One user in Canada was seeing 18 Mbps down and 22 Mbps up with icicles hanging off his Starlink dish, but he didn’t say what his normal results were in clear weather.

Reactions: NYDutch and FTA4PA
I am signed up for them as well, however, at the moment they are saying you get speeds something like 25 to 100 ... and its costing $100 p/m.
If I wanted to spend the money, I could, but I can get those speeds for less already.
Also the $500+ for equipment sees out of line ...

I was under the impression that speeds were more like 300-1000 ...

For the lake location, it’s on an island in Lake Michigan, so Gigabit Fiber is not happening. The local DSL is somewhere between 15 to 25 Mbps down and 1.8 Mbps up, so Starlink is very attractive even at the current beta phase speeds. Sure, it’s $50/mo more than the DSL, but we could shuffle some costs around, and as long as they have an off-season hold for vacation properties Starlink could be pretty cost-effective on an annual basis.

Reactions: navychop
I am signed up for them as well, however, at the moment they are saying you get speeds something like 25 to 100 ... and its costing $100 p/m.
If I wanted to spend the money, I could, but I can get those speeds for less already.
Also the $500+ for equipment sees out of line ...

I was under the impression that speeds were more like 300-1000 ...
Speeds are expected to increase as more sats and laser linking occur.

Thank you. Be sure and let us know if subscriptions can be placed on pause, for vacation spots

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)