Starlink review...good article (2 Viewers)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
I'd think it wouldn't be too difficult to come up with an RF transparent bird resistant shield for the flat surface. Maybe just a "teepee" of thin plastic legs. If I had the problem, and had Starlink for that matter, I'd give it a test using simple plastic straws if they can still be found anywhere.
Birds will light on pretty much any surface other than spikes.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
While on vacation, I did a quick site survey for a Starlink Dishy McFlatface and was not happy with my results. Being a cabin in the woods, there are lots of trees in the sightline of Dishy. It might work on the south edge of the roof, but I don't think we're going to get uninterrupted coverage. Too bad this site doesn't have an actual Starlink forum (why is that?) where I could ask questions.

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
With only 100,000 beta customers (and many of the new ones to be non-US customers), is it really to that point yet?
Well, I guess I would counter with how many Orby customers are there, but it’s a different class of service.

I would think Satellite Internet should be more prominently featured as this site is called SatelliteGuys, instead of being buried all the way towards the bottom of the Forums after Chit Chat, Sports, Cooking, and Video Gaming. Making Satellite Broadband part of the Satellite Signals Forum seems like an idea that everyone could get behind. I’d be curious to see how many Starlink, Exceed, WildBlue (hey, that’s what the Broadband sub-forum still lists!;)) customers are on SatelliteGuys.

Maybe this conversation would best be had in the Support Center…

Reactions: TheKrell

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
Well, I guess I would counter with how many Orby customers are there, but it’s a different class of service.
The difference being that Orby was a full release product and Starlink really isn't.
Maybe this conversation would best be had in the Support Center…
In that is it in the forum that Scott suggested for Starlink discussion, it probably is in the right place.

It is surprising to me how much deadwood Xenforo seems to foster. It must be really hard to redistribute things.

Reactions: charlesrshell

EarDemon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 5, 2014
USA
I’d be curious to see how many Starlink, Exceed, WildBlue (hey, that’s what the Broadband sub-forum still lists!;)) customers are on SatelliteGuys.
Numbers would say not many. (Wild Blue and Excede are the same thing now going by their corporate name, Viasat)

While I can't seem to find current numbers, the figures from a few years ago have HughesNet at a little over a million subscribers and Viasat at little under a million. Add in how ever many DishNet subscribers there are on re-sold Viasat and HugheNet and the beta testers on Starlink and you're talking less than 2.5 million satellite internet customers nationwide. Compared to over 20 million subscribers combined on Dish and DirecTV.

Users who are viewing this thread