Google Fiber

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
I am extremely jealous of Kansas City...

1GBit/sec Up and Down!! for $70/month

free 5mbit/sec

TV & internet $120/month...

Google Officially Launches Google Fiber - 5 Mbps Free, 1 Gbps For $70, TV and Fiber: $120 | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

The company is offering Google Fiber in three flavors to local residents. One is the Google TV and Fiber package, which includes a symmetrical 1 Gbps connection, and one bundle of television channels (all major broadcast networks, hundreds of fiber channels, on demand, all in HD), and a free Google Nexus 7 tablet to be used as a remote control -- all for $120 a month. Google says if users sign a two-year contract, they'll waive the install/construction fee.

Google already rules the internet world..........maybe this is the next step towards ruling the world outside the internet. Either way I'm a Google fan & would love to test drive this service for 2 years.

I see they have a contest to get the most people that want it in an area to register to get that area on the priority list.

Our city has a Metronet with the closet fiber trunk to our house being about 300m away (just need to string some fiber through the neighbors' yards; I'm sure they wouldn't mind as long a I shared :)) But the prices they were quoting were closer to $1,000/mo for Gigabit.

I don't need a Gigabit/sec to my house, but I would be extremely satisfied with 20 Mbps as long as it is priced to beat AT&T and Comcast. The $120 for TV & Gigabit? That would get me to switch from Dish...

Looks like it has no HBO, DISNEY (including EPSN) and no Time Warner channels.

It is surprising that HBO is holding out. Perhaps it is really a technical issue with HBOGO? I could see that Google would want to offer it, but it might be an infrastructure issue since this is a new system.

Disney probably just wanted too much. Also I believe Google wants all HD. Disney probably wants them to buy SD versions and show them too.

Listening to Tech News Today over on TWiT, it sounds like Google still needs to sign up the Content Providers. They aren't near ready to launch yet, so they have some time.

It would be great if other fiber owners looked at Google's success with the Fiberhoods that Google is trying to promote and introduce similar deals. Of course, in a lot of towns, the cable company has council members in their pocket to make sure nothing like this Google Fiber comes along.

Listening to Tech News Today over on TWiT, it sounds like Google still needs to sign up the Content Providers. They aren't near ready to launch yet, so they have some time.

It would be great if other fiber owners looked at Google's success with the Fiberhoods that Google is trying to promote and introduce similar deals. Of course, in a lot of towns, the cable company has council members in their pocket to make sure nothing like this Google Fiber comes along.

No kidding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts