Google in discussions with Dish to launch new wireless giant

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
I don't know if this is true or not, but that's what this https://nypost.com/2019/07/07/google-joins-dish-network-in-talks-to-create-4th-mobile-carrier/ says.
The idea is for Alphabet-owned Google and Dish to launch a new wireless giant with the help of assets acquired from T-Mobile, which is now under pressure from the Department of Justice to aid such a project in order to get clearance for its $26 billion merger with Sprint, according to sources close to the situation. “There’s no question they are talking,” a source said of Mulally and the Dish execs.

Reactions: JSheridan
Won't work. The sweet spot is a "big 3". A 4th player will be too weak even if they are good. Tesla is a perfect example.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Market is changing. If they can get widespread coverage, perhaps cars and traffic control systems will be interested. And buy. Perhaps an IoT net can be cheaper to run than a cell voice/data system.

Alphabet can fund this out of petty change.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

It's not that far fetched. I don't know if Google has been wanting to get into the Wireless business, other than Google Voice VoIP, but combined, those are some giants and working would put DTV in the same class as US Cellular - a niche carrier/provider, and hit AT&T with a decent punch

It's not that far fetched. I don't know if Google has been wanting to get into the Wireless business, other than Google Voice VoIP, but combined, those are some giants and working would put DTV in the same class as US Cellular - a niche carrier/provider, and hit AT&T with a decent punch
Wireless data, not cellular, if at all. I’d chew the claim with less salt if it were from the Times and not the Post.

Google is already in the wireless business with their MVNO service Google Fi

Google Fi

Google is already in the wireless business with their MVNO service Google Fi

Google Fi
Yeah, I forgot about that, but Fi isn't much of anything, really, compared to what it could be when you see that they supposedly want to be the 4th major carrier. I wonder how many people actually use Fi

Yeah, I forgot about that, but Fi isn't much of anything, really, compared to what it could be when you see that they supposedly want to be the 4th major carrier. I wonder how many people actually use Fi

Best guesses I've seen is millions, but not tens of millions. It is VERY popular with techies who like Android.

Google denies talks with Dish on creating new U.S. carrier - 9to5Google

This would be a huge step up for Google’s cellular ambitions, but the company has firmly denied that there are “any conversations with Dish about creating a wireless network.” While it’s possible that Mulally is in discussion with Dish, he could be acting outside his capacity as an Alphabet board member.

“These claims are simply false. Google is not having any conversations with Dish about creating a wireless network” a Google spokesman said, declining to comment on whether Mulally was speaking to Dish.

With that said... Google was all over the place at Team Summit.

So anything is possible.

I'm betting if anything happens, we might see a google / dish merger.

Won't work. The sweet spot is a "big 3". A 4th player will be too weak even if they are good. Tesla is a perfect example.

Tesla is selling more cars than they are estimating. There is a demand for it. I would buy a Tesla over a Ford or Chevy. Ford lost my business when they missed the 47/47 mark with the Fusion Hybrids, and it was more like 37/37 real world.

The business press reported several weeks ago that in the federal T_M/Sprint spin off negotiations, T_M/Sprint wanted a commitment that Google/Amazon could not become a significant owner in the spin off.

I'm betting if anything happens, we might see a google / dish merger.

Tesla is selling more cars than they are estimating. There is a demand for it. I would buy a Tesla over a Ford or Chevy. Ford lost my business when they missed the 47/47 mark with the Fusion Hybrids, and it was more like 37/37 real world.

That's great if you want to pay the price. But GM and companies their size make only a few thousand dollars on a vehicle (the company, not the mark up by the dealer)

Tesla doesn't make enough cars to do that and they must charge much more. They will eventually have to merge or be bought, it's a mathematical certainty.

If Google were to get involved with the Dish venture they could give financial support that could make it work. Otherwise they are trying to compete in a business dominated by much bigger companies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)