Google Voice in Google Mail: Tactics or Strategy?

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
This might be of hardly any interest to US consumers since they can get a Google Voice account without any restrictions. But this is not the case for the rest of the world. Canada included.

So, Google decided to apply Gizmo5 technology and merge Google Voice into GMail.
Google introduces Call from Gmail, free calls to US and Canada (update: impressions) -- Engadget

And that is the next best thing to having a full Google Voice account: you still don't get a phone number (outside the US), but can use the dial out capabilities of Google Voice. And I think Canadians benefit the most from this: they are more likely to have their friends/business contacts in North America and therefore can call them for free.

There is hardly anything groundbreaking in this offer. VoIP has been done before in many different ways. And for almost free as well.
Here is an interesting point of view regarding what this is all about and why Google did it
Gmail Phone Calls Are All About Facebook, Not Skype | Epicenter*| Wired.com
The move has prompted some to speculate that Google is going after Skype, but the real target here isn’t a cheap telephony company — it’s Facebook.

Interesting read.

Diogen.

EDIT
The way Google added Voice to Mail, resembles how they implemented Voice on the iPhone, i.e. HTML5-style app after AppStore refused their normal app.
http://mashable.com/2010/08/25/no-google-voice-iphone-app/

If you are not allowed into the door, try the window...:)

Last edited:
I tried it yesterday. Called my house phone from my laptop. Was pretty impressed by how easy it was. Had to set the proper settings for the proper microphone and sound, but other than that easy as pie.

Will I use it? I doubt it. But I can. :)

I tried it yesterday. Called my house phone from my laptop. Was pretty impressed by how easy it was. Had to set the proper settings for the proper microphone and sound, but other than that easy as pie.

Will I use it? I doubt it. But I can. :)
What pops up on CID?

Used it to call Atlanta from LA. Worked fine for the whole 1.25 hour call and saved me a lot of $$$. Set up call forwarding of incoming calls to Google number to Computer, Home and Cell. All rang at same time and all showed callers CID. Seems like a good deal at least to Jan 2011 as it's free calling to US & Canada until then.

Used it to call Atlanta from LA. Worked fine for the whole 1.25 hour call and saved me a lot of $$$. Set up call forwarding of incoming calls to Google number to Computer, Home and Cell. All rang at same time and all showed callers CID. Seems like a good deal at least to Jan 2011 as it's free calling to US & Canada until then.

Did you use video too, or just phone via computer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts