Got a C-Band dish...now some questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'll check again, but I'm pretty sure there was no "wafer" in mine. Just the two pins in there.

THere is no Dielectric Slab when you order a C band LNB or LNBF unless specially order, or it will come in the box but not insert into your LNB.What Iceberg got is the floor base 6 footer solid assembled dish, which have to manually adjust all the angles. When I used my 7.5 footer at the old house, I have my digital box slave to the analog receiver, when there is a digital signal, always a click or two before the digital signal came in strong from the analog side. So, there is sure the difference angle for digital and analog signals.

Here’s a goofy question.

To get digital, could I take a KU band LNB and get KU tuned in on a satellite, then swap out the LNB to the C-band?

Iceberg said:
Here’s a goofy question.
To get digital, could I take a KU band LNB and get KU tuned in on a satellite, then swap out the LNB to the C-band?

Here's a goofy answer, I don't see why it wouldn't work. You get the Ku one zeroed in and it should be the same position for C. But what do I know, I thought all you had to do was find a satellite, bolt down the arm and turn on the juice. I didn't know a thing about this tracking the arc. I thought you just zeroed in on AMC 6, tighten the arm down and it would follow right around to AMC 7. We might me moving this summer and the BUD is going with me. I thought I could move it and set it up, but after reading all of the post here I am having second thoughts. It will go, but I think it well be worth the money to hire someone that knows what they are doing to reinstall it.

It will work, Iceberg....so long as the perforations in your dish's surface are smaller than the size of a pencil.

If the perforations are pencil-size or larger, then the surface of the dish will not reflect Ku signals well enough.

Diamond Jim said:
We might me moving this summer and the BUD is going with me. I thought I could move it and set it up, but after reading all of the post here I am having second thoughts. It will go, but I think it well be worth the money to hire someone that knows what they are doing to reinstall it.

If you choose to move the BUD, some planning will make the set up @ the new home a lot easier. I have moved a BUNCH of dishes this way.
1. DO NOT TOTALLY take apart the DISH if you can avoid it!
2. Before removing ANY wires, move the dish to the most Southern Satellite, kinda like installing a FTA receiver.
3. Remove all wires to actuator, LNB, and Feed.
4. LEAVE FEED IN PLACE, if you can at all!
5. Loosen the bolts that hold the bolts on the pole and using the arm or frame swing dish back & forth to make sure it is REALLY LOOSE (Don't be afraid to use some WD40 if you need to).
6. Get a couple of fairly strong FRIENDS, that you can work together with to help you remove the dish & arm from the pole. THEN slowly work the dish back and forth while lifting the dish assembly until it CLEARS THE POLE. (Do not be ashamed if you need to take a break when you get to the top of the pole and just let it rest there and take a little break, it beats ruining the reflector)
7. Set the dish assembly on the ground or on the trailer or truck you are using to transport the dish assembly and tie it in place.

After you get to your new home just set your new pole, plumb it, and run the new ribbon cable, then set the dish assembly on the new pole, with some friends again, and line it up to the satellite where you removed it from. It is a little harder to get it to sweep the arch but with a TV & Receiver @ the dish you should be able to realign the dish.

BryanSR

That's a good looking dish there, Iceberg. I bet its Ku performance is incredible. I hope you're having some luck now with getting some c-band FTA channels.

Ice, why not setup the 6' dish with a KU feed and adjust on a strong C/KU satellite until you get the best KU digital picture. This way you know for sure that you are locked onto a satellite. Then swap out the KU feed with the C feed and make fine adjustments until you receive the best signal.

Congrats on the new dish. I'm looking forward to hearing that you have achieved success. This summer I'll be scouting out unwanted Buds. I know where there is a nice one on in the country, abandoned homesite and even the home is gone, but its a 3 hour drive from here and I'd have to trailer it.

Hey Bryan,

Thanks for the tips. That was basically the game plan I had, but then I started reading all of the technical jargon that the guys are telling Iceberg and I thought that maybe I don't know as much about this as I thought I did. I wish I could have been home to watch the origional installation 20 some years ago so I would have some idea what they were dong. As it was in those days I had a real job that I had to show up at everyday. If I was having it insallted today I would be right out there asking questions and taking notes.
Thanks again.

~Jim~

This would be it:

Attachments

• Dsc00210.jpg
    Dsc00210.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 184
  • Dsc00212.jpg
    Dsc00212.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Dsc00213.jpg
    Dsc00213.jpg
    773.4 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
It looks like the declination is fixed (unless you shim the dish) on your polar mount anyways Jim. I wouldnt' sweat it :).

Congrats, Iceberg, on your dish!

I will be watching your progress, as I still have that 6' solid spun-aluminum Andrews BUD in the yard face down :)

I don't have a mount for it, so that's going to present a problem. Also, the feed supports/assembly are for Ku. I need to find a buttonhook as on Jim's dish.

I know some have wondered my status...well the dish is in the same spot since Saturday night :(

-I moved the dish to the corner Saturday night to protect from weather and the neighbors.
-Sunday the weather sucked...rain/snow/fog all day. KU didnt even come in so I decided not to deal with it
In the process of building "Kingdome II" (If you tip the dish face down it looks like the Seattle Kingdome. The 10 footer I tried was Kingdome I, this was Kingdome II) I think I stretched too far for my out of shape body and totally screwed up my legs (both my legs suck to begin with) so walking was a chore. whew!
-Monday night didnt do anything
-Tuesday night had a family emergency

So now we're up to tongiht and I think we're ready to continue. Have to move my 36" dish on the deck down the railing farther and move the one motorized setup to optimize signal :)

This weekend I plan on really working on it... :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)