Got my 811 upgrade and have ??'s (1 Viewer)

Offroad

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 13, 2004
102
0
Previously using a Dish 301. I have all my HT components programmed on a Home Theater Master MX-500 remote.

1. The basic entry's I had programmed into my MX-500 (301 Remote) to control things like Menu, Guide etc seem to also control the 811 receiver ok but now I have some new buttons on the 811's remote I'd like to bring accross like "Format" etc. The 811's remote seems to be RF only? as It doesn't seem to want to teach my MX-500 anything. This seems weird since there are a couple of plastic things on the front of the 811 remote that appear to be an infrared emitter.

Any way to get this to work or am I just stuck with two remotes?
I really love my MX-500 and would like to reprogram it and put the 811 remote in a drawer.

2. Also my MX-500 has favorite buttons that you can program to take you to a channel with one push. This is easy to do with the Satelite channels that have numbers like 314 but I can't figure out how to do it on my Local Off-Air Analog and Digital channels that I have added to the program guide through the local channel setup in the 811.

3. And, is it just me or do the 811's spend waaay more time retreiving information than my Dish 301 did when I go to the guide?

4. The Dish 811 Owners Manual seems to prefer DVI over Component imputs. I'm currently using a Component cable robbed from my DVD player. Anyone test both of the inputs and really see which is best? I can get another Component cable from PartsExpress.com pretty reasonable but don't know where to get a good quality 12 foot long DVI cable reasonably priced from. Any sources?

Thanks for any advice.
 

Broadband Lab Rat

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 10, 2003
63
0
Alabama
Offroad said:
4. The Dish 811 Owners Manual seems to prefer DVI over Component imputs. I'm currently using a Component cable robbed from my DVD player. Anyone test both of the inputs and really see which is best? I can get another Component cable from PartsExpress.com pretty reasonable but don't know where to get a good quality 12 foot long DVI cable reasonably priced from. Any sources?

Thanks for any advice.

On my Samsung 50" DLP set, I definitely have better results using DVI. If your set is native digital format like a DLP, LCD or plasma, the DVI will probably be worth it.

I got my DVI cables from e-bay... There are many at 12' length for under $30.00. I paid $6.00 shipped for my 6' one. Just search for dvi cable on e-bay for a bunch of choices.

BTW, I have 2 DVI sources (811 and DVD) and only one DVI input into my set. I did not want to buy a $$$ DVI switch at this time, but I was concerned with plugging/unplugging devices may eventually damage a DVI connector, so I also bought a DVI male/female extension cable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...4&category=3668&sspagename=STRK:MEBWN:IT&rd=1

I connect the extension cable to my set and run it's other end and the ends of my 811 and DVD out to the side where easily accessible... and when switching from DVD to 811, I'm unplugging/plugging the ends of two inexpensive cables... so if a connector does get damaged, it's not the one on my set. Just a little insurance for those who manually swap DVI inputs...

Cheers,
 

Craig Henrikson

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 26, 2004
105
0
The 811 remote seems to be only RF in sat mode, but is IR for the TV, etc. I don't think we have an IR command for "format" tho I wouldn't be suprised that one does exist. The suggestions I have gotten suggest using the code set for the 6000, but I really haven't tried to customize my MX-700.

Getting to the OTA stations is something that may well involve some macros, but with only 2 weeks of ownership of the 811 I still need to tackle that one!

Craig
 

David_Levin

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
1,293
16
Denver, Co
IR: If you can get/borrow/buy a 50x remote you could learn the format command from that (not too expensive at the store here).

The Radio Shack/One-4-All remotes can also send the format command using extended codes. So, you could learn from that.

(If you also get the jp1 cable you can reprogram the remote, but that is not required to send the extended code to the MX-500).

Start here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/adv-codes.shtml

If you have excel you can also download JP1 remote configuration files and see the extended codes (most have been figured out).

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/3. Device Codes/

I believe the way to key in numbers and get to the local channels is to prepend the 0's....

So for channel 2-1, key in 002. I'm not sure what happens if you have also mapped 2-0 (analog). You'll have to experiment.
 

Offroad

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 13, 2004
102
0
David_Levin said:
IR: If you can get/borrow/buy a 50x remote you could learn the format command from that (not too expensive at the store here).


David: Sorry if this is a silly question but what is a 50x remote? Something else from Dish or what?

Thanks.


Broadband Lab Rat said:
On my Samsung 50" DLP set, I definitely have better results using DVI. If your set is native digital format like a DLP, LCD or plasma, the DVI will probably be worth it.

Lab Rat: Mine is a Sony RPTV, so I don't think its native format is digital. Do you still think that DVI would be better than Component?

Thanks.
 

aperry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 26, 2003
700
0
Offroad said:
David: Sorry if this is a silly question but what is a 50x remote? Something else from Dish or what?
50X refers to the 501/508 Dish receivers (and probably the 510/721/921 would have the same codes).
 

David_Levin

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
1,293
16
Denver, Co
921 will not work - it's the same remote as 811 (no ir when talking to the receiver).

721 is a good remote for us 921 people to leave from because it has the pvr keys (but probably costs more then a 501 remote).
 

Broadband Lab Rat

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 10, 2003
63
0
Alabama
Offroad said:
Lab Rat: Mine is a Sony RPTV, so I don't think its native format is digital. Do you still think that DVI would be better than Component?
Thanks.
Some Sony's RPTVs are LCD. If it's a Sony LCD RPTV, then it's native digital and yes, I'd certainly go DVI. If it's a CRT RPTV Sony, then it's not as likely to make a difference.

The logic is that with a native digital set, going DVI eliminates an unnecessary digital to analog and back to digital conversion.
 

Offroad

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 13, 2004
102
0
David_Levin said:
IR: If you can get/borrow/buy a 50x remote you could learn the format command from that (not too expensive at the store here).

I believe the way to key in numbers and get to the local channels is to prepend the 0's....

So for channel 2-1, key in 002. I'm not sure what happens if you have also mapped 2-0 (analog). You'll have to experiment.

David:

Putting Zero's on the front fixed the Favorites problem. I now have all my OTA locals through the 811 programed onto favorite buttons.

Does the Dish 6000 receiver have a "Format" button? Does it use Infra-Red? If so perhaps I could "Learn" the "Format" button from a 600 remote to my MX-500.
 

Bobby

Publican
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
60,477
13,438
Rohnert Park, CA
Offroad said:
David:

Putting Zero's on the front fixed the Favorites problem. I now have all my OTA locals through the 811 programed onto favorite buttons.

Does the Dish 6000 receiver have a "Format" button? Does it use Infra-Red? If so perhaps I could "Learn" the "Format" button from a 600 remote to my MX-500.

If by "format" you mean the ability to change screen sizes, then yes, your 6000 remote has one and it is the "*" button.
 

Offroad

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 13, 2004
102
0
Bobby said:
If by "format" you mean the ability to change screen sizes, then yes, your 6000 remote has one and it is the "*" button.

Great, is the 6000 an Infra-Red remote?

I understand the command set are simular to the 811 so if its infrared I could learn the "format" (zoom screen size) button to my MX-500 remote from a 6000 remote.

Thanks.
 

Bobby

Publican
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
60,477
13,438
Rohnert Park, CA
Offroad said:
Great, is the 6000 an Infra-Red remote?

I understand the command set are simular to the 811 so if its infrared I could learn the "format" (zoom screen size) button to my MX-500 remote from a 6000 remote.

Thanks.

Yes.... I programmed my Sony RM AV3000 with it and it controls the 811 just fine.
 

Offroad

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 13, 2004
102
0
Bobby said:
Yes.... I programmed my Sony RM AV3000 with it and it controls the 811 just fine.

Bobby:

I didn't think this problem would be this simple, I just taught my MX-500 the * button from an old 301 remote and now I have the "Format" (aspect ratio)
function on my MX-500 remote.

What is the SD/HD button on the 811 remote supposed to do?

On my 811/Sony CRT RPTV setup I can't see that it does anything.

Thanks.
 

David_Levin

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
1,293
16
Denver, Co
Offroad said:
Bobby:

What is the SD/HD button on the 811 remote supposed to do?

Probably nothing. On the 921 this button toggles between the HD and SD outputs (which unlike your 811 aren't active at the same time).

On the older receivers this is the TV/Video button - and probably acts as an RF switcher if you have the external antenna hooked up (I never tried this).
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top