Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I got my first U-VERSE bill today in the mail and I am a little surprised of how HIGH it is.

Ok lets break it down.

Since I ordered the 1.5 MB internet service last month there is a fee for last month of $25. (I think $25 is WAY to much for 1.5 MB DSL service when the same company AT&T is charging $14.95 a month for it via their regular DSL service)

Anyways here we go:

Code:
AT&T U-Verse TV U 400             $  99.00
Double Pack                             $    5.00 cr (This is a discount)
HD Technology Fee                    $  10.00
AT&T Yahoo High Speed Xpress   $  25.00
TOTAL MONTHLY CHARGES         $129.00

Prorated Charges 03/03 - 03/06 $  19.80
ProRated HD Fee                     $    2.00
1.5 Yahoo High Speed Xpress     $  25.00
Total ProRated Charges             $  46.80

CT Sales Tax                          $     6.24

Total Bill                                  $182.04

Yes $50 of it is prorated charges.

My monthly regular charge (less sales tax) is $129, $25 of it is for the 1.5 DSL service and $10 for the HD Technology fee.

I guess I could get their package U400 with their 3 MB service for $119 a month (and then $10 for HD technology fee) which would come out to the same price.

I may just do that, although my wife wants me to get rid of the $51.99 Cox Cable internet service which gives me a 15 Meg Connection (to be honest I never see that speed execpt when I run a speed test, as most sites are throttled.)

I know Uverse is coming out with VOIP service which is supposed to be under $12 a month, when that happens I may just switch everything over to AT&T and off of COX.

I was at someones house yesterday here in Atlanta and they one of the product testers for U-Verse . Its being tested here in Atlanta and his speed was 18MB down but only 786 up. I look at there site and they are a little high in price.

Since I ordered the 1.5 MB internet service last month there is a fee for last month of $25. (I think $25 is WAY to much for 1.5 MB DSL service when the same company AT&T is charging $14.95 a month for it via their regular DSL service)

Agreed, my buddy in DFW is getting their 6Mbps DSL for 22.95/mo. Saw the proof first hand so I know he isn't blowing smoke.

Scott: I understand how you feel about your first bill. I worked for a time as a call center CSR for a small cableco in Augusta, GA, and calls from confused and/or angry customers who did not seem to understand prorated charges are the norm in the industry when a customer gets installed and/or adds services in the middle of a billing cycle.

LOBO2999: 18 Mb downstream just for Internet seems a bit of a stretch. I wonder if a large portion of that bandwidth is allocated to the video, and the rest to data?

FWIW: An AT&T CSR told me last Thursday that DSL service should be available where I live (an apartment community in northwest Albany) within the next month, after wiring issues are ironed out. Ironically, the following day, a survey crew planted several pink flags in my neighborhood; it is my educated guess that they were marking a route for AT&T to lay new fiber. Maybe U-verse in Albany cannot be far behind? ;)

$99 for the package that doesnt include the HD package. That seems really high. Is that every single channel including premiums? Even D* with 4 receivers, plus package, HD, HBO, and DVR is less.

One correction here Scott, 1.5Mbps is not $14.99, it is $19.99 per month. 768Kbps is their DSL Basic package for $14.99

Of course, that is here in Oklahoma. Don't know if different other places.

Per AT&T's website http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=6431

We have AT&T phone and DSL service.

I have the best DSL package they offer - 6mb down 768k up. I pay $29.99 a month for that.

Since we're on the fringe of DFW, we have to have a metro line for local calls, so that most of the calls to and from the DFW area are local. That line with features is about $25 a month. This is with no long distance (use cell phones for that).

I'm looking forward to getting Uverse when it becomes available, which I was told last week should be any day now. My wife is getting pissed at DISH.

I wouldn't hold my breath Neutron, AT&T told me over a year ago DSL would be coming to me in the next 6 to 12 months (I'm about a mile to far away from CO to get it). Don't count on what they say about U-Verse.

Sadly, I don't even have DSL service so I'm a long way from ever getting U-Verse. This is why I believe IPTV is years away (10-15 in my view) from being a real alternative to DVD, satellite, or even cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts