Got My Hopper w/Sling Replacement for 1st Gen Hopper Today (Observations)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cditty

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Northeast Louisiana
Fast is an understatement. I have never seen a DVR that is this quick.

Pixellation at the top/bottom of the hour is STILL present.

Software downloads, pairing, and first use was automatic and went without any problems. Truly a plug and play replacement. Then, activated in my account via the online option.

I'm a little bummed at the pixellation issue, but everything else is great. I am still floored by the speed of this unit.

Figured as much about the top/bottom hour thing. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not it's worth the money and/or contract renewal to replace one of my Hoppers with the new one.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Figured as much about the top/bottom hour thing. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not it's worth the money and/or contract renewal to replace one of my Hoppers with the new one.

Unless you need the ipad transfers or it really gets on your nerves about the speed, I would say don't spend $$$ to upgrade. I was able to get mine upgraded for free because of the timing of my service. I've had both and the sling adapter on the first one. The speed with the HWS is very noticeable, but I never felt like the original hopper was horribly slow.

if the upgrade price is $50 that would be fine. $200 I don't see it's worth it.

Hopper 1 used to be a bit faster until more recent updates. Hoping that an update will speed it up some. Also not thrilled about the iPad transfers having to delete the original copy on some channels. So I dunno, might hold off, might go ahead, maybe there will be a Hopper 3 less than a year from now...

Remember that's it's only two networks out of so many. I don't transfer a bunch of hbo max content so it doesn't really bother me. Not to mention hbo and max have pretty much all their content available on demand through the Hopper and hbo go.

Remember that's it's only two networks out of so many. I don't transfer a bunch of hbo max content so it doesn't really bother me. Not to mention hbo and max have pretty much all their content available on demand through the Hopper and hbo go.

Did you pay a fee to get HwS?

If I thought I would use the iPad transfers I would be intresting in upgrading from the original, but I really don't think I would use it that much....right now at least :)

I paid $100 for the Hopper last year on launch and $200 for this one. I love having new technology right when it comes out.

If I had an infinite income I'd be the same way. I prefer "bang for the buck" for the most part. Though I've already invested quite a pretty penny into my current setup. Not sure if $200 for iPad transfers is worth it.

I sure wish my income was infinite. I travel a bit and go on frequent road trips so this is great for the car, airport, airplane and grandma and grandpa's house for my toddler so to me, the upgrade was worth every penny. Nothing like an iPad filled of Dora the Explorer and Yo Gabba Gabba!

With no kids, a vast array of titles on my iPad already, 4G in most locations, Netflix, DRA, etc. that's why I'm not so sure personally. Sometimes I enjoy not staring at a screen and checking out the world around me too :) .

With no kids, a vast array of titles on my iPad already, 4G in most locations, Netflix, DRA, etc. that's why I'm not so sure personally. Sometimes I enjoy not staring at a screen and checking out the world around me too :) .

Yeah I feel ya. My iPad is Wifi only so I don't have as many options but it works for us.

I have the 32GB WiFi but I tether it to the iPhone :) .

Nice, I did that when I had a jail broken iphone but once I used 52GB of data one month they got a little pissy and sent me an email, Asking me to stop or they would throttle me. Since then I got a new phone and haven't tethered again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts