Got rid of Premium channels because of crazy PPV charges

This is why I recommend setting your account PPV limit to zero. No more PPV charges by whatever method, real or imagined. ;) This does not inhibit your enjoyment of free stuff on BB@home, but does work for all receiver on the account, without the channel locking fuss recommended above.

This is why I recommend setting your account PPV limit to zero. No more PPV charges by whatever method, real or imagined. ;) This does not inhibit your enjoyment of free stuff on BB@home, but does work for all receiver on the account, without the channel locking fuss recommended above.
But not if you do order PPV but just don't want the kids to be able to. Otherwise, that is certainly going to stop any ordering....true dat...

Then you aren't doing what is being explained.

pabeader is most likely doing is right, and so am I. The VOD 1 channel does come back in the guide, whereas the other channels locked this way do stay hidden.

The way to fix this is to unlock channel 1 VOD, exit the locks menu, then lock channel 1 VOD again, then again exit. This again lasts for another day or two, until the VOD 1 channel comes back in the guide. The good news is that if someone tunes to just channel 1, the receiver picks OTA channel "001-01 Whats" in the SF Bay Area, CA over channel 1 VOD. I have even tried locking out all OTA channels 001-** in the past, with similar results.

Note that other PPV channels hidden this way, do remain permanently hidden in the guide. This is a 722.

Last edited:
Since I don't have a 722 as I mentioned, I guess I can't say for certain what is happening on that unit, but on my 612's it has not ever come back in all the years I have had it locked. But even at that, it must stay password protected if you do see it again?

I've got a 211k and channel 1 doesn't even show up on my channel lock option. Neither does Banners on Guide Format screen. Maybe PPV lock works better on my receiver than others.

I have three DISH accounts : one with a 211k and one of them have 722k and third with a 722k and two 211ks on it. NONE of them have ANY problems with channel 1 or any pay per view channels or banner coming back in the guide. I've had DISH for 15 years and I never have a problem with locks. I use LOCKS to clean up my guide of duplicated hd channels in the 9000 range, as well as pay per view and adult channels. Never had a single pay per view ordered that I didn't intend on.

:popcorn

Since I don't have a 722 as I mentioned, I guess I can't say for certain what is happening on that unit, but on my 612's it has not ever come back in all the years I have had it locked. But even at that, it must stay password protected if you do see it again?

Yes, the VOD1 channels do stay password protected, even when they re-appear.

Again, I am not sure if it is because of a 722 issue, or because we have OTA channels 001-01 through 001-16 in the guide, confusing the receiver. I say this because, when the VODs reappear, they are not in order in the guide. eg: At the moment, I have channel 001-01, 001-02, VOD1, 001-03, another VOD1, 001-04, another VOD1, etc... in that order in my guide. The locks menu shows that VOD 1 is locked, and the locked channels hidden. All the PPVs in the 500 range are still hidden though. So, I have learnt to ignore this.

Matt and I have came to a mutually agreeable solution. I have asked him to set the PPV limit to zero as well. I have no intentions of ordering PPV at the prices that Dish charges so hopefully that will fix all my issues.

Now to come up with 200 bucks to get a couple Hoppers and I will be all set. guess I will have to sell my 722k

I was doing more experiments, and it looks like a Ch 1 OTA channel in the 722 guide, maybe actually pointing to a Ch 1 VOD on both my 722s.

The first picture shows that 1 - VOD is locked, but not the 001-xx OTA channels.

The second picture shows that locked channels are hidden, and that the system is locked.

The third picture shows that when I try to tune to OTA channel 001-01, as confirmed by the dark green to the right of the attention popup, I am prompted for a password. There are no rating locks set, and channel 001-01 (What) was not locked. So, I should not be prompted for a password here. I believe that the only reason the receiver would be prompting for a password, would be if it thinks I am ordering a PPV/VOD, instead of tuning in to the OTA channel. Note that I have not tried entering the password, as I do not want to accidently order something.

Now OTA channel 001-02 (Family) does not prompt me for a password. So, I tuned to it. However, pressing either "browse" (Picture 4) or "guide" (Figure 5) makes it look like I might be on a VOD channel. i.e. The bottom banner belongs to "The Descendants" in browse, and/or the guide goes directly to the 1 VOD "The Descendants" channel instead of channel 001-02 "Family". Note that no arrow keys were pressed.

This is easily reproducible multiple times on both my 722s. So, I suspect that it maybe possible to accidently order a PPV, especially if PPV is not locked.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG

I've never seen a channel 1 for ota ? I didn't think that was even possible to be used . There wasn't even a channel 1 possible on old tvs ,before the change to digital. How about you delete channel 1 on your ota channels and the problems go away?

In Tampa I can get channel 40 WWSB, and it scans as such, but it also scans in as channel 24. Is your channel 001-01 not really the channel, can it be found higher up? I would say you found the problem, the receiver is actually being confused. Get rid of 001-01 and all should be normal?
I have confirmed at least with an email I got here and a friend's receiver VOD-1 never comes back on their 722's if blocked and hidden just as my receiver works, so I have to think this OTA channel 1 is the culprit.

I know when you look at the BB streaming movies, some of them have charges. If you did not notice that you may have ordered a streaming movie with a $ charge. You can click on the button that says to list the FREE movies only, but you have to do that each time you sort the list.

I've never seen a channel 1 for ota ? I didn't think that was even possible to be used . There wasn't even a channel 1 possible on old tvs ,before the change to digital. How about you delete channel 1 on your ota channels and the problems go away?

He lives in the San Francisco Bay area. Channel 1 is a virtual channel number that comes from a low wattage transmitter in the South Bay.

Correct. Channel 1 is transmit channel 42 - KAXT, and 1-1 is a valid OTA channel in the San Francisco Bay Area. 001-01 is the guide channel, what's on, for channels 001-02 through 001-20, and it is not present higher up or carried by Dish.
TV Query Results -- Video Division (FCC) USA

Tampa8 is also correct. i.e. Deleting all the OTA channels in the 001-01 through 001-20 range, also correctly hides the VOD1 channels, as expected. And, if I add OTA channels 001-* again, VOD1 also reappears, along with the erratic guide behavior.

Also, just deleting channel 001-01 alone, without also deleting 001-02 through 001-20 as well, does not resolve the guide issue. i.e. One has to delete all twenty 001-* sub-channels to fix the VOD 1 issue.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip guys on the pay per view limit setting. I realized i should get around to setting this as i was setting the locks on the hoppers we got yesterday.

Funny thing is that i tried a chat CSR last night thinking this would be a two second thing, but that CSR tried to tell me it wasn't even possible. Luckily i caught myself before i pushed her too far and just said "good night" before I tried asking her even more questions.

Called Dish directly today and they picked right up and changed it. The guy on the phone noticed i got the hopper and was excited about his upcoming install too. Even asked me if all the TVs really will do HD. Guess he was a little excited too. heh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts