Got um Pinned in a corner!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Y2k06

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Got um Pinned in a corner! - 622 install gone bad

Been on hold over 1 1/2 hours with Tech to find out why they say I need a Dish 1000, which was NEVER on the work order and why when the installer came out yesterday without the required DPP44 switch, what they are going to do about it?

The guy yesterday said I was fine with 2 dishes, DP Pro 500 at 110/119 and the other Single DPP LNB pointing to 61.5.

Tech guy says 61.5 is mirroring 129, but NOT in Mpeg 4. I had to call his hand on that one.

I also had to call his hand on discrepancy on need for the Dish 1000 4 LNB dish?

Also call his hand on why the separator has anything to do with the number of sat inputs (3 on the 34 vs 4 on the DPP44).

Then asked (this is level 2 by the way), with all four receiver ports being used, (2 301's a 211 and a 508 (being replaced with the 622), how or where I was going to bring another line from???

Not to mention the work order clearly states 2 story house downstairs impractical /impossible to run new 2nd cable, therefore use separator. But the installer thought they sent the switch to me...which they didn't.

So, this Level 2 guy --- oh -- going now on another 15 minutes of hold, ( think he figures I'll just hang up).. But why, I'm spending their money for the toll free call. Maybe he'll come back with a miracle.

Why is it that NOBODY seems to have a damn clue here?

Got my phone set to speaker phone listening to Muzak - still waiting.... (last discussion he was trying to reach a hub (Texas) and see about a DPP44 and reschedule same guy that was out yesterday .. He said If I had switch, I could do it, but they wont send me one direct.

Ho Hum.... I'll let you know if they come back on the phone in the next 3 or 4 hours while I wait.. Can still do my work on another line + comptuer work.

****UPDATE****

The 'on hold call' somehow got switched to the Dallas Distribution Hub. Unfortunately, the person was unable to tell me if they had any DPP44 switches...all she knew is they have been on back order for quite sometime, and when they do come in there are very few of them. She was going to contact the installer and see if they got their order in today and if it had any DPP44 swithces. So, I sit and wait some more!

Damn this is fun.......

*** UPDATE *** Local installer called - they have been on back order for 2 months! Fat chance any time soon of seeing a 44 switch. NOBODY in Dallas has any DP44's - Now back to Dish again for options....like just laying a wire for 2nd line and cascade some 34's but don't have a 34 either to cascade.

This is absolutely Ridiculous.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know about dish reimbursing you, but I too recommend ebay. I got a DPP44 with power supply for less thatn $100 shipped.

OK.. experts ONLY

I am now down to the nut cutting / fish or cut bait with DISH on this issue that they claim I do NOT need a DPP44 swith to use the separator.

My system again. All Dish Pro (no Legacy). 1 dish w/ 2 lnb dish pro pointed to 110/119. Second dish with single dish pro LNB pointed to 61.5.

Those come inside the attic to a DP34 switch, which has cables out to 4 receivers. (all ports are occupied).

I need to split 1 port (don't care which one) using separator to feed the 622.

CAN THIS BE DONE IN ANY CONFIGURATION USING ONLY A DP34? Tech says YES, but can't/wont explain to me how. Says installer will do it. I say BS.

HELP ---- as the s*** is going to hit the fan on next call. Either they find a way to make it work (until god knows when a dpp44 will get here- and no, I'm not buying one) or Dish can pull all their crap out of the house and I'm off to someone else.

HELP SAVE A DISH CUSTOMER!

I suggest you call/email the CEO office - copy this thread to them.

There's no way they can improve if they don't know what's wrong.

OK, now that I've said what should be said, good luck - you're gonna need it. :cool:

guys, way back when i had 8 irds on my account i had first had 3 dp34's, yet all my dual tuner dvr's were coming with dpp seperator
anyways i spent the better part of 2 days on ther phone with dish execs
i told them all my irds i was buying all came with dpp seperator and i have switches that cant use it
so i told them i wanted 3 dpp44's in exchange for my 3 dp34
they told me that it would be 212 usd per dpp44 shipping included
i told them that wouldnt do
so finally they offered if i pay for 2 dpp 44 out of my pocket, dish will throw in 3rd for free
so i got 3 dpp 44's through dish for the price of 2

dish does reimburse just have to commit to spending all day or more on the phone

I would call dish tell them youll buy the dpp 44 on ebay and have them put notes on your account that they will reimburse you for the price of that switch

500th post couldnt have done it without Dish, they put their customers through the ringer
heres to another 500 posts dish
try as you may to rid yourself of me dish
i sub the family pack just to bitch
haha

Last edited:
That info is correct. You can only use a DPP Seperator, notices it really says DPP seperator right on it, with either a DPP 44 switch or directly off of the DPP Twin LNB. NO other Dish pro legacy and anything else will work correctly with a seperator.

Understand your frustration, ive been a customer of over 5 years paying at least $60 a month and now I have the AEP. Wanted to get a 622 and go HD but I wont just because the CSRs have no clue what they are doing. I dont know how they can claim they help anyone.

email to CEO at DISH

Here is a copy of my email to Dish CEO.

Dear Sirs;

I will try to be brief as I know as an executive you are busy and have many other obligations to fulfill. Nonetheless, I need to make you aware of a situation which should be scrutinized with an amicable response to remedy a situation your organization has fallen short in customer satisfaction that has left me just a little frustrated.

As an analogy, lets try this: Phone call – Hello? Mr. XXXXXX, this is John at ABC Chevrolet and I wanted to let you know your brand new 2006 Corvette Z06 is in and we will be bringing to your home and we’ll even put it in the garage for you. I say Great! The car shows up they carefully put it in the garage, then say, OH. Mr. XXXXXX, we don’t have any keys for this car and unfortunately, we can’t tell you for sure when we will get them. Thanks, have a good day. How would you react to such a situation?

Now to the facts. I ordered a VIP622 on Feb 2, paid my upgrade fee and was told my install date was March 5, 2005. I extensively went over with 2nd level technicians the configuration of my current system. As my home is a 2 story house, there is absolutely no way to run a second coaxial line to the room where the VIP 622 will be. Tech advised that was not a problem, as the 622 comes with a ‘separator’ and will allow 2 feeds from one cable.

Having well founded misgivings about this information I inquired about a new switch known as a DPP44. They insured me this was not necessary based on my setup – Dish Plus 500 pointing to 110/119 and a second Dish Pro single LNB pointing to 61.5, all running through a DP34 switch with each of the 4 receivers out on the DP34 being utilized.

So, I wait. About a week before the install date, the new 622 arrives via UPS. It sits in a closet despite my best attempt to talk with Level 2 Tech help and convince them I am perfectly capable of this simple installation. I was denied that opportunity and told it would void any warranty and should any attempt to install myself could involve a cancellation of my service. Further, if I did try it and an installer needed to be dispatched for any reason on any other matter, I would be charged for such call and billed for any replacement equipment that may be damaged. I took the hint and left well enough alone.

The installer shows up at the scheduled time and immediately recognizes what his work order did not tell him – this was a 2 story house and no possible way to run a second coax for the dual tuner, and that despite what my many calls to tech help said, there was no possible way he would be able to install my new 622 without this DPP44 switch. He called his supervisor and advised him of this. The installer indicated they would try to locate a DPP44 switch and get back to me.

Today (Monday, 3/6/06), I called Dish Tech level 2 and was basically told the installer didn’t know what he was doing and that a DPP44 switch was not required. After I had convinced him to the contrary, he put me on hold while trying to contact the Dallas Dish Distribution Hub to inquire about a DPP44 switch. I was on hold for an hour and a half! Eventually, the phone passed the call through, and thinking it was Dish Tech, it turned out to be the Dallas Distribution center. The dispatcher was friendly but was unable to tell me if there were any DPP44 switches, but immediately put my call through to another person. They asked for my number and promised to call me back within minutes, which they did. The caller identified himself and apologized that they do not have any DPP44 switches and have been backordered for over 2 months. They were unable to give me any timeline whatsoever as to when that part may arrive, despite the fact that another installation date had been re-scheduled for April 6, another full 30 days out.

There you have the facts. That brand new car that you have already paid IN FULL is in your garage but you have no keys to it. What, sir, would you do about that?

The remedy I am seeking is in asking your help to locate a DPP44 switch, have it Fed-Ex overnight and contact an installer OR let me do my own installation immediately. The wait is unrealistic, without legitimate explanation, nor any idea when this situation can be corrected.

I may be reached at any time by calling 972-xxx-xxxx, or by return email. I await your advices.

Regards,

Bill
972-xxx-xxxx (account phone number)

PS. This has also been discussed at length on the computer at the following location.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=58566 as well as many other similar locations within this computer forum.

okk why not just put up a new dish with a dpp twin and if u can use the 129 u only need a d500 if ur using the 61.5 get a dp spliter and send the signal into the port on the dpp twin put it on a tripod if u dont want it mounter to ur home until the dpp44 switch is available . assuming u can pass another cable in which then u will only need the one cable to feed ut 622 with the dp seperator

It takes 3! (And all 3 must be DishPro Plus)

Here is how you can prove to Dish that a DP34 won't work for a single cable 622 install (if they continue to argue this) --
If you go to this Dish web page - http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/equipment/dish_pro.shtml and then click the "DISH Pro Plus Technology" link in the upper left, you will find the following --

Under "DPP Key Points" it says:
"It takes 3! for a single cable install for DPP receivers. (DPP Switch or LNBF, DPP Separator, DPP Receiver)"

Another Dish Tech Document (at http://www.solidsignal.com/dishnetw...cts-Single_Cable_Dual-Tuner_Installations.pdf ) says it even more clearly:

"All three of the following MUST be used for the single-cable, dual-tuner installation, and must be connected together:
1. A DISH Pro Plus Switch or DISH Pro Plus LNBF
2. A DISH Pro Plus Separator
3. A DISH Pro Plus (dual-tuner) Receiver"

And, of course, a DP34 is not Dish Pro Plus.

If I was in this situation I would, as others here have suggested, get a DPP44 on eBay for $100 to $200 just to end the frustration. At the time I write this there are several available.

I'm getting a 622 installed on March 15th. To avoid installation delays (in case the installer doesn't bring the necessary parts), I bought a Dish Pro Plus Twin LNBF and a second Dish 500 on eBay. I don't need a DPP44 because I will only have two receivers. It cost me about $100 and took a couple of hours, but I'm a geek anyway and I enjoy these types of projects!

Last edited:
OK, what about this option????

Cascade using another DP34 (or whatever) and temporarily just run another cable line from the attic down the stairs around the corner to the living room and just lay that extra cable on the floor next to baseboard until a DPP44 arrives from Santa Claus? That way, I would have 2 lines into the 622 and not distrub any of the other receivers?

If this would work, what would be the connection schematic?

Would I use another switch - split 61.5 off of the DP34 and run that cable along the floor for the second tuner?

The next problem is Dish is saying I cannot do my own install and activate myself. Even if I did, they say that would cancel out the work order and they won't ship a switch direct to end user. So, I would have to pay another installer to come out and do the obvious 2 minute swap of switches.

I also keep hearing (From Tech) that the Dish 1000 w/ 4 LNB's would also work without need for DPP44. This can't be correct either for a single wire feed then split with separator. Problem is for permanent install, there is ONLY one cable available where the 622 will go. No way around that!

D1000 does not have 4 lnbfs, it utilizes 2 - 3 lnbfs for 3 orbital slots.

D1000 with DPPtwin and DPdual will not need a switch to run 1 dual tuner and a single tuner, 2 single tuners, 2 dual tuners.

All other 3 orbital configurations that use a switch to provide service to 1 - 6 tv's will require one or more switches and any variation in lnbf types. The switches and lnbfs can be legacy or dishpro.

Van said:
D1000 does not have 4 lnbfs, it utilizes 2 - 3 lnbfs for 3 orbital slots.

D1000 with DPPtwin and DPdual will not need a switch to run 1 dual tuner and a single tuner, 2 single tuners, 2 dual tuners.

All other 3 orbital configurations that use a switch to provide service to 1 - 6 tv's will require one or more switches and any variation in lnbf types. The switches and lnbfs can be legacy or dishpro.

So, what you are saying is understandable, but how does that specifically fix my problem without having to wait for a DPP44? What / how would that be connected ?

call dish tell them you want the dpp 44, they will tell you they have none,
waiting months for dpp 444 is unreasonable
so i would call and almost demand that you will buy the dpp 44 off of ebay and tell them they can reimburse you the cost of the switch by giving programming credits
you now have a 622 you cant use until dish send ya the dpp 44
dont hold your breath lol

stone is right. You only have a couple of options. I would call them and tell them if you purchase a DPP44 will they reimburse you will programming credits. Your second option would be to call them to find you a DPP44 switch or come and get there sh*t. I guarantee they will start to get off there lazy asses then. I don't see what the big problem is here. This is Dish network, the people that make the DPP44 switch and they say that they can't send you one. What is the problem? Dish needs to start running these people out of there that don't know how a satellite system works. I mean this sh*t isn't rocket science. They need to send there employees to a school to learn how satellite systems are installed, maintained, and the whole shabang. They are hiring people that don't know the difference between legacy, dish pro, or dish pro plus. Hire good employees that actually care about learning about what there job requires, quite outsourcing to mohammid aljabar azreaca from India, start paying there american citizen employees a decent wage, and they will start seeing a improvement in the amount of disgruntled customers that switch to cable or directv.

Y2k06 said:
So, what you are saying is understandable, but how does that specifically fix my problem without having to wait for a DPP44? What / how would that be connected ?

It doesnt solve your problem unless you were to change to a 622 and a 625, but I had posted that info as you were asking about the D1000 having 4 lnbfs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)