Gotta love the double standard...

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
I love how people in here and nation wide always make a HUGE deal about student-athletes at the University of Miami...but yet when OTHER major programs due JUST as bad or WORST....ya bearly hear a peep. IF THIS had happened at The U, it would have been one of the main stories on ESPN....:mad::rolleyes:

Longhorns Hit With 6th Arrest Since June
By JIM VERTUNO – 1 day ago

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas freshman running back James Henry has been charged with two felony counts of obstruction and tampering with evidence, making him the sixth Longhorns player arrested since June. Henry, arrested Monday, is accused of beating up one of the victims of a July home invasion that allegedly involved two other players, Andre Jones and Robert Joseph.

Henry was booked into Travis County Jail where bond was set at $30,000. He was released Tuesday morning and coach Mack Brown said he was suspended indefinitely from the team. Henry, who redshirted last season, has played in two games on special teams for the No. 7 Longhorns. Travis County jail and court administration officials did not immediately have a record of an attorney for him. "It was a mishap," Henry told the San Antonio Express-News after his release. "They just came and got me, and said they had a warrant for me. I'm trying to figure out what's going on." Brown defended the integrity of his team and football program when he met with reporters after practice Tuesday. "When someone is accused of trouble or has trouble, it is devastating to me personally," he said. "It's really all on me. It's on me alone. I'm responsible for making all the final decisions at the football office at the University of Texas. It's obvious I need to be more accountable and do a better job." When asked what changes he might make within his program, Brown said he didn't know yet. "I've got to go back and look at everything I'm doing. Twenty-three years as a head coach, I've dealt with more in six months than I have in 23 years," he said. Henry's arrest is the latest trouble for a program reeling under a string of arrests. On Monday, Brown reinstated linebacker Sergio Kindle and defensive end Henry Melton, who had been suspended for the first three games because of drunken driving arrests over the summer.

Last week, senior safety Tyrell Gatewood was suspended indefinitely after his arrest on drug charges. Freshman defensive back Ben Wells, who was riding with Gatewood when he was pulled over, was given a citation for possession of drug paraphernalia and released. Jones remains suspended from the team. Joseph had already left the team before his July arrest because of an earlier incident. Austin police learned of Henry's involvement by listening to taped recordings of Joseph's phone calls from jail, said Det. Anthony Bigongiari.

During the investigation of the robbery, one of the victims told police that some of Joseph's friends had assaulted them. In one of the taped phone calls, Henry said he "went over there and whupped" one of the victims, who told police they were thrown on the ground and punched and kicked in the head several times, Bigongiari said. Henry, who did not participate in the robbery, was charged with tampering because police believe he disposed of a backpack containing items stolen in the home invasion, Bigongiari said.

Police also charged a third person, Eddie Ramirez, who is not a football player, with threatening the victims. Brown said Henry would have been suspended earlier if the team had known the latest allegations. But he also acknowledged that team officials knew Henry continued to be questioned by police and had been interviewed at police headquarters as late as Aug. 20. Brown said he did not feel he could have taken any action until charges were filed. He said team officials asked Henry about the police interview but would not divulge what the player told the football staff. Brown said he is disappointed that the arrests have embarrassed the program but challenged the notion that Texas is riddled with problems.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i3nuMB0yu9kYFu6OYLNG6rXNBY2g

Yeah your right Salsa. They are getting as bad as the Bengals.

Not to mention all the crap that has been going on at West Virginia....:rolleyes:

Yeah, plus there was some other schools that have had stuff happen too and you never heard about it. I can't remember what they are right now.

OK, I was going to leave this alone, but I can't resist. Salsa, I think the coach's comments in paragraph 2 are the most telling. He accepts blame, and the fact that his players have not been a problem for the majority of his 23 years, say a lot. This seems to pale compared to the run Miami had with trouble. Sorry, but you should let dead horses lie. Miami, is doing a great job of cleaning things up, no need to keep bringing up the past. If you want everyone to stop picking on Miami, stop reminding everyone about what WAS. It's not that way at Miami anymore.

Well salsa, If it will make you feel any better, the SOONERS will find the horns guilty and give them 40 lashes. Also, mayby Miami should change their name to breeze instead of huricanes.

OK, I was going to leave this alone, but I can't resist. Salsa, I think the coach's comments in paragraph 2 are the most telling. He accepts blame, and the fact that his players have not been a problem for the majority of his 23 years, say a lot. This seems to pale compared to the run Miami had with trouble. Sorry, but you should let dead horses lie. Miami, is doing a great job of cleaning things up, no need to keep bringing up the past. If you want everyone to stop picking on Miami, stop reminding everyone about what WAS. It's not that way at Miami anymore.

You missed the WHOLE premise of my argument....:( My argument is that Texas has had 6 ARRESTS....no run-ins...not mis-communications....not "misunderstandings"....to stupid flare-ups during games...or stomping on some schools logo in the middle of the field....BUT ARRESTS of SIX players!!

FIND me when Miami has had 6 arrests of players....in more than 5 years...ever??!!! But where is the outcry to "shut down the football program" for Texas??!! AND what coach in Miami has EVER NOT except responsibility for what has happened??!!

Amazing...:rolleyes:

Well salsa, If it will make you feel any better, the SOONERS will find the horns guilty and give them 40 lashes. Also, mayby Miami should change their name to breeze instead of huricanes.

....this has nothing to do with hating Texas....but again...you missed the point...

You missed the WHOLE premise of my argument....:( My argument is that Texas has had 6 ARRESTS....no run-ins...not mis-communications....not "misunderstandings"....to stupid flare-ups during games...or stomping on some schools logo in the middle of the field....BUT ARRESTS of SIX players!!

FIND me when Miami has had 6 arrests of players....in more than 5 years...ever??!!! But where is the outcry to "shut down the football program" for Texas??!! AND what coach in Miami has EVER NOT except responsibility for what has happened??!!

Amazing...:rolleyes:

No i didn't miss the point, you did. Who freaking cares about Miami anymore, except you? Take a valium and let it go. You alone are perpetuating Miami's bygone reputation. Do you really believe that Miami did nothing to garner their reputation?

You make a good point Salsa,
I figured the media would be all over it, but you have hardly heard anything about it.

If it happened up here at OSU you can be assured it would also be National news. ie, that MC guy, I'd rather not talk about form back in the Championship year.

Jimbo

No i didn't miss the point, you did. Who freaking cares about Miami anymore, except you? Take a valium and let it go. You alone are perpetuating Miami's bygone reputation. Do you really believe that Miami did nothing to garner their reputation?

Wow....apparently...someone has put their tampon adhesive up today....:rolleyes: I never said that Miami has not contributed to the their reputation....BUT, just because you have a reputation, it does not justify some of the bad press....especially unfair press. But I guess when you start the season getting their asses handed to them TWICE at home.....I would be a little upset too.....

At least I actually went to U of M. I'm proud of my school. If I remember right, you went to FSU, and now you're a Miami fan? The alumni police will be knocking at your door....

At least I actually went to U of M. I'm proud of my school. If I remember right, you went to FSU, and now you're a Miami fan? The alumni police will be knocking at your door....

Nahhh...my explanation is pretty simple...I grew up Loving Miami and wanted to play baseball at Miami...they didn't offer me a full ride and FSU did....My loyalty is about the education and not the school.....:rolleyes: And besides, they gave me a full ride to sit the bench...and I STILL got drafted...so in the end...it became a win-win situation for me...

Nahhh...my explanation is pretty simple...I grew up Loving Miami and wanted to play baseball at Miami...they didn't offer me a full ride and FSU did....My loyalty is about the education and not the school.....:rolleyes: And besides, they gave me a full ride to sit the bench...and I STILL got drafted...so in the end...it became a win-win situation for me...

Never got over Vietnam, did you? That would explain a lot of your postings!:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts