Grandfathering of Locals

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I never sub'd to locals. When my son was living with us (recovering from cancer) we sub'd to HBO/SHO for him. Recently dropped it. No problem. A few days pass out of town, and I notice when we returned that I suddenly have locals. Didn't look like I could access the old OTA versions, either, but I didn't look too hard. Then I noticed I got an email from Dish yesterday, talking about changes to my account, but noting no changes and stating "Locals, no change."

GRRRR! My bill is high enough. I called and the VERY POLITE lady at the other end said "no problem, we'll take them off, and there will be no charge." Perfect English, BTW.

Sure enough, they're gone. Not happy they ever appeared, and I'll be watching my bill most cautiously.

I suspect a programming error, where some periodically batch run program searches for accounts with recent changes, and ensures locals (& the charge for locals) is on the bill. Even though this particular change does not require locals. I think only if I change my basic programming pack would I have to start with locals.

Are you aware that locals are now included in the base packages and are not an additional charge.?

For new subs and when you make certain modifications to your subscription. Old subs still save a few bucks by doing without them, until they make a change in their (basic?) programming package.

Are you aware that locals are now included in the base packages and are not an additional charge.?

Some are saving $5 per month by not having locals from E*. For example, AT120 is $34.99 without the locals and not the $39.99 being charged otherwise for newbies and others. If the basic programming package is ever changed, they'll get them whether they want them or not. Also if they make changes online they will also lose the grandfathering. For example, if you have Platinum and no locals and dump Platinum online by unchecking it on your account, you'll automatically get the locals and $5 added to your bill. To avoid getting the locals added when dropping Platinum requires doing an online chat or making a phonecall. Why it works this way, I do not know.

yup, thats pretty much the deal, with all the HD free frenzy, I dropped the Platinum pack them bam! I got locals back. Since I get my Chicago locals anyways via basic comcrap (and all of them in HD unlike E*), I had no other remedy but to "move". At least I got some variety for the football season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)