Great CEO.com service! Hello upgrade!

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
As you know I had some major concerns about not being able to upgrade to a 622 as a long time Dish customer and ex 921 owner. Here it the letter I sent to Dish,

Dear Sirs and madam, Our account is listed under xxxxxxx and xxxxxxPhone number xxxxx
No: xxxxx

Our concern, I have been an outstanding Dish customer for over 7 years. In fact I owned a C-band big satellite store Cal-Sat in Mountain view Ca back in the early
90's. I have installed many Echostar and HTS C-band satellites for Charlie over the years. I have paid lots of money and have upgraded many times.

The issue I have is not with the people at Tech support. I dealt with Jackie and she was awesome. She tried everyway she could to help me and just could not because of rules.

Here is the situation. I work for an oversea's military contract company and have been gone for 4 months. When you are on oversea's work it is very hard to keep your family and bills in order from afar. My wife has issues that make it very hard for her and I have to take care of my family and keep it all together even when thousands of miles away. I make no excuse, this is just the facts.

During my time away my family had to make ends meet. My wife stopped working and we had to cut back. We were not able to enjoy the 7 year luxury of Dish network and had to temporarily suspend our service. Then lived on 3 off air channels and DVD's until I could return. This was fine and while not a perfect world had to do at the time. Before I left I had my model 921 HD I bought at Costco activated as well as my children's room basic receiver and the PVR in our bedroom. We had major problems from day 1 with the model 921 and I joined a very pro Dish network news group called satellite guys USA. I tried everything however this darn receiver would not work right. Lots of glitches.

So I had my wife return it to Costco as I believed it defective while I was gone. It cost me $500.00 and that's allot of money for a receiver that was very buggy. I still was not upset with Dish as I appreciate that Dish keeps putting out receivers to make it better.

So we returned 921 and had to let Dish turn off until this week when I returned. Immediately I went online and activated my account by paying a reconnect fee. As well I called and paid 2 months in advance. I was happy as a clam to be getting my wonderful DISH NET BACK! Did not even flinch to pay whatever it took to get it back. No problems there as they immediate turned back on my 2 pvrs and basic receiver.

I then asked what kind of promotion I could do to get HD. I was told about all these wonderful new receivers. They switched me over to Tech support to order the model 622. I would replace one of my PVR's.

Jackie pulled up my account and said she could see I had my 921 still on my account. She said that because my service was off for 3 months that I don't qualify for the straight out lease of 622, however she could turn on the 921 that was defective for March for 5 bucks. She said that if she did that I could upgrade for 99.00 on April 1st to the model 622. I explained that receiver was defective. She said it is the only way to upgrade you sir. Just pay the one month and it will make it an easy upgrade.

However she could not find my serial number in my records to turn it back on, so as she was so helpful she was stuck. She said I might try buying a used one off eBay and turning it on for just SD as they are not allowed any longer activate HD on the older models. then upgrade for 99.00 in April.

I said I don't want to buy a used 921-942 and play games. I should not have too. I owned and subscribed to HD and paid 500.00 already to do it and suffered with a poor receiver. I just want to be able to upgrade for the 99.00 in April based on the 921 that she can see I owned. She tried everything and said unless I go get mine back or buy a used one I will have to pay over 700 bucks. This is just not fair!

I am asking for you to do the right thing and best case allow me to upgrade lease to the model 622 pvr HD for 99.00 as every other 921-942 owner is going to be able to. Or something comparable.

I don't feel I am asking for anything for free. I want to pay and want to subscribe again to HD. I love Dishnet and believe you will take care of people that are taking care of you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to my concern.

As you can see I was not rude and being a happy dish person made sure the letter was positive as there was no reason to be pushy or agitated.

I received a call from the CEO office by an extremely helpful lady named Natelie
She offered to let me upgrade and took my payment immediatly for upgrade and ordered me the 622 and Dish 1000. Both to be installed in 3 weeks. She was very helpful and proffesional. Another reason why I love dish network!

Thank you Natelie!
:)
Now just to hope the installer shows up with the dish 1000 as it sounds like they are not in many locations. I currently have 2 DP-34's inline to 5 tv's

One question, does the 622 not require dual inputs like my old 921??

Last edited:
The 2 DP34s should be fine for what you have and the D1000. From what I'm reading in the forums, it's been very difficult to get the DPP44 switch from the installers. Apparently, there is a shortage of these switches. If the give it to you take it. The DPP44 will allow you to have a single run to the 622 with a separator and still feed 3 more receivers.

Hmmm. I've had correspondance with that same Natalie W. at the executive office.

I didn't get very far there with her.

I'm glad you are happy though.

Enjoy your 622 when it arrives...

Thanks guys. Believe me I was not expecting Dish to budge. But Natalie was both charming in a professional way and very helpful. She went over and above what I had expected. Not knowing anyone else's issues. Maybe mine was an easy one. The only downside is having to wait a month. This is typical of my local dish istaller. They has an installation hub here about 1 mile form my home. I have had one very good installer and a handful of either inexperianced ones or RUDE ones.

Each time they come something is not on the work order or they did not have parts. In fact I better confirm ahead of time the dish 1000 is going to be installed.

They were supposed to install DP-44 last time and claimed there branch NEVER installs them.

But again, Love the customer serice I got from the executive office.

Hope you all have the same.....

COME ON 622!

Thanks
Tod

iceshark said:
The only downside is having to wait a month.

I ordered mine on March 1st and the earliest they could have someone come out and install it is Monday April 3rd! I hate waiting! I just hope everything runs smoothly as I've been reading a lot of horror stories on here! Also, I was told by one of the reps that they were shipping the 622 out to me, then I was told by another rep that the installer was bringing it. I e-mailed Natalie and she seemed to actually know what she was talking about.

DVDDAD said:
Iceshark,

Why should you be eligible for this when you infact returned your 921? I don't get it. You got lucky for sure.

Yeah, I'm confused, too. If he returned the 921, then I assume he got his money back, right?

As a result, it sounds like he got a very good deal, but I don't begrudge him of that.

Congratulations!

I absolutely got my money back for the 921 in December. My point was that the reason I returned the 921 was it was very buggy and blotched almost everything we programmed it to record. But even with that I would have gladly kept it for 3 more months at 5 bucks even if I as I did disconnect it and place one of my 508's in place of it. But since I did not I would not be eligable for deal.

My point is I had an HD and only returned it because IT DID NOT WORK CORRECTLY. Now I am penilized for not keeping it for 3 more months. So instead of paying 99.00 I would have ot pay 799.00 over 15 extra bucks I could have spent.

Also I because I turned off my service for a couple months while I was away oversea's became a new customer to dish when I returned and light up the dish again last week. As a new customer I have a BK on my credit and that makes me not eligible for 299.00 lease deal. Even with over 7 years with dish this time and 4 years prior before going back to big dish 4dtv for 2 years. In fact I go back as far as the start for Dish!

So with all of this above I was told by tech supervisor its too bad you did not keep that 921 3 more months. Cause now your only way back to HD with dish is 799.00 for a 622. (need PVR)

So Natelie saw my point and my longevity with dish and gave GREAT customer service.

In fairness to her and her authority I do not feel right stating the price I got. Lets just say it was exactly what I was looking for if you read my above story.

Hope that clears that up.

We are all a team here and I just want to help as lots of helped me.

Tod

If they did not ask you to keep the offer confidential, then you are under no obligation to do so.

If they offered you a $299 lease upgrade, then you got the everyday standard deal.

If they offered you an early $200 rebate, but you must first pay $299 and then send in for the $200 rebate, then good luck with that. The Dish CEO office offered me such a deal on my 942 upgrade in November, offering me a programming credit upon returning my 811, and then refused to honor it a month later, after I had paid for the upgrade. So if they offered you a special deal, then I hope you got the offer in writing, via an email confirmation.

I would have thought that your 921 would have qualified for the $99 deal after April 1, as long as it was activated, even if for only AT60, by March 31st.

iceshark said:
So Natelie saw my point and my longevity with dish and gave GREAT customer service.

In fairness to her and her authority I do not feel right stating the price I got. Lets just say it was exactly what I was looking for if you read my above story.

Hope that clears that up.

We are all a team here and I just want to help as lots of helped me.

Tod

As I said, I don't slight you at all for your deal. In fact I'm happy for you. I can speak first hand regarding Executive Offices extending courtesies to a long-term customer.

My comment wasn't intended to challenge your story, but rather to clarify it. Now, you've done so. Congratulations!

I won't be surprised if later he gets hit with an additional $200 charge. After all, the $99 lease deal requires the return of the 921 to Dishnetwork, not to Costco where he already got his $500 back.

here's hoping

iceshark said:
Thanks guys. Believe me I was not expecting Dish to budge. But Natalie was both charming in a professional way and very helpful. She went over and above what I had expected. Not knowing anyone else's issues. Maybe mine was an easy one. The only downside is having to wait a month. This is typical of my local dish istaller. They has an installation hub here about 1 mile form my home. I have had one very good installer and a handful of either inexperianced ones or RUDE ones.

Each time they come something is not on the work order or they did not have parts. In fact I better confirm ahead of time the dish 1000 is going to be installed.

They were supposed to install DP-44 last time and claimed there branch NEVER installs them.

But again, Love the customer serice I got from the executive office.

Hope you all have the same.....

COME ON 622!

Thanks
Tod

Proof will be in the pudding! Let us know if it shows up. Never consider anything a done deal until you have it in hand;) . Hopefully you have had better luck with Natalie than most. Hope it works out for you.. Gerry

Terrific story.

I have also had a positive experience with the CEO office -- last June they helped me get a 942 and were very nice about everything.

In fact, I've had Dish for about six years now and I have to say I only had one CSR that was a bit of a turd. Excluding that one exception, eveyone I've dealt with at Dish has been very good.

I tell eveyone I can to give Dish a try. They blow away Direct TV and Charter in my neck of the woods.

I am not worried as I got a confirmation email on our discussion and it says the notes would be put in my file. I am sure I will be fine!

Great company in my mind!

By the way, I have upgraded 3 times in the past. Of those 3 times I did not return the old receiver twice and was never asked too. I did not know I was required too>? Thought it an option!

Last edited:

To those that upgraded to the ViP622

522 diagnostics problems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)