Greenville,SC local HD's???

Spinerep

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
Waterloo,SC
First time poster here!! Thanks for all the useful tips and handy knowledge!!
My question is.... does anyone know when the Greenville,SC local HD's will be available? I just did the upgrade from an 811 to a 622, and cant hardly wait to get my locals in HD, my attenna just isn't cutting it anymore. Thanks in advance!

Russ

:welcome to the site

They're on "the list"

so they could be added during any of the 10-9 months left in 2006

I get them both. The traffic reports are similar. The who shot who are similar. The only real difference is sports and politics. I don't care that much for either. I do like to choose my weather forecast. If I don't like one, I change to the other, it's usually a little different.

Spinerep said:
First time poster here!! Thanks for all the useful tips and handy knowledge!!
My question is.... does anyone know when the Greenville,SC local HD's will be available? I just did the upgrade from an 811 to a 622, and cant hardly wait to get my locals in HD, my attenna just isn't cutting it anymore. Thanks in advance!

Russ

I don't know where you are in the area, but I've done quite a few OTA installs in the area, and I am getting FANTASTIC OTA on 211's an 622's in this area.

Unlike many DMA's, the antenna does not have to be that large, as the stations have many translators.

In many areas, almost all of the station towers are on Hogback (not Brokeback:D ) Mountain just north of Greenville.

Even on analog, many of the stations are clearer that what my neighbors get on cable. You do, however, need a VHF/UHF antenna, though. A UHF only antenna just won't cut it.

Iam located down on Lake Greenwood, about 40 miles southeast of Greenville. I get OTA signals pretty decently, channel 7.1 would be the only exception. Iam very happy with the quality of OTA signals, I would just like to have the conveniece of not having to sit and wait for the signal to lock. Not to mention, one less cord in the rats nest behind my reciever!

Mike, would you happen to know who installs for Dish down here in the Laurens area? I have the Vip 622 on order (should be here anyday), but install isn't scheduled until April 1st. I would love to talk to the installer and see maybe if the install could be moved up.

Russ

Spinerep said:
Iam located down on Lake Greenwood, about 40 miles southeast of Greenville. I get OTA signals pretty decently, channel 7.1 would be the only exception. Iam very happy with the quality of OTA signals, I would just like to have the conveniece of not having to sit and wait for the signal to lock. Not to mention, one less cord in the rats nest behind my reciever!

Mike, would you happen to know who installs for Dish down here in the Laurens area? I have the Vip 622 on order (should be here anyday), but install isn't scheduled until April 1st. I would love to talk to the installer and see maybe if the install could be moved up.

Russ

Russ,

You can call James at Satellites Plus in Inman (800) 832-5914 or (864) 472-2508. He does fulfillment installs.

You can also try Mike at Dish TV in Greenville. 864-292-3104.

Mike500 said:
I don't know where you are in the area, but I've done quite a few OTA installs in the area, and I am getting FANTASTIC OTA on 211's an 622's in this area.

Unlike many DMA's, the antenna does not have to be that large, as the stations have many translators.

On the Eastside of Greenville I get all digital locals very clearly except for Channel 13 out of Asheville.

I have my large attic-mounted antenna on a rotor but I can't get signal strength on that channel above 67 which means that when the signal dips I get dropouts. (All other locals are at 90+). This is very annoying when one tries to record a program to the DVR as one gets hiccups and the error message "part of the program was lost".

I'm not sure at what power they're currently broadcasting, but I'm looking forward to getting my 622 as anecdotal evidence seems to be that the OTA tuner is better than my 942.

If the 622 doesn't do it then I guess I'll be waiting for the HD-LiLs. Given the mountainous terrain of a lot of the DMA (at least on the NC side of the border) I think a lot of people will be looking forward to this enhancement of service.

CDH.

PS -- I second the endorsement of Dish TV here in Greenville. Their installers were very knowlegable, especially compared to the people from the company that DishNetwork initially sent out.

Last edited:
CDH said:
On the Eastside of Greenville I get all digital locals very clearly except for Channel 13 out of Asheville.

I have my large attic-mounted antenna on a rotor but I can't get signal strength on that channel above 67 which means that when the signal dips I get dropouts. (All other locals are at 90+). This is very annoying when one tries to record a program to the DVR as one gets hiccups and the error message "part of the program was lost".

I'm not sure at what power they're currently broadcasting, but I'm looking forward to getting my 622 as anecdotal evidence seems to be that the OTA tuner is better than my 942.

If the 622 doesn't do it then I guess I'll be waiting for the HD-LiLs. Given the mountainous terrain of a lot of the DMA (at least on the NC side of the border) I think a lot of people will be looking forward to this enhancement of service.

CDH.

PS -- I second the endorsement of Dish TV here in Greenville. Their installers were very knowlegable, especially compared to the people from the company that DishNetwork initially sent out.

Yeah, the main Dish Network fulfillment installer here is Surburban Services. I drive by their office often off on 290 in Duncan. I've talked to some of their installers. They have to do three or more a day. They are always pushed to rush it. So, quality suffers.

I did some work for Dish TV several years ago. They are basically a farther son operation. The father once worked for Satellites Plus, before he started Dish TV. Both are long time family businesses. So, you can really count on them.

Your problem is an attic antenna. I get 13 iout of Asheville easily in Greevville even with an unamplified Winegard GS1000/1100 used in motor homes. Do you mean 62? I don't know of 67. 62 is out of Asheville, too. The Sensar does well with 62, also.

I use a winegard 8 Bay, and I pickup NBC, CBS, FOX and ABC Fine, but I have to tweak the angle of the antenna depending on what I want to watch. Part of my problem is the antenna is mounted high, it sits on the porch in the backyard of my condo. I don't have it amplified, so if I can pick up the Greenville/Spartanburg stations you should be able to pick up WLOS. However, the nights it gets windy, you can kiss reception goodbye, its all over the place!

Mike500 said:
Your problem is an attic antenna. I get 13 iout of Asheville easily in Greevville even with an unamplified Winegard GS1000/1100 used in motor homes. Do you mean 62? I don't know of 67. 62 is out of Asheville, too. The Sensar does well with 62, also.

Perhaps I was unclear. I didn't mean channel 67, but rather that the strength of the signal reported by my 942 for channel 13.1 is 60-67 (out of 100?). Channel 62.1 comes in very clearly in Digital OTA, though I never watch it.

Although the attic mount could be a factor, I had absolutely no problems with receiving any OTA channels - including WLOS - when I used the exact same antenna and cabling on my Voom box.

I'm hoping that I'll benefit from the (allegedly) slightly better tuner in the 622 over the 942.

CDH.

I am considering moving to your area from Ohio, but I know I'm going to hate having to use a damn rotor every time I want to change the channel - your towers are all over the place!

I'm looking at the Mauldin-Simpsonville area if I do move.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)