Griffey heading to the White Sox pending his approval!

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
According to FOXSPORTS.....this is a done deal depending on Griffey....:(

updated: July 31, 2008, 7:34 AM

Ken Griffey Jr. has never played in a World Series. He might be on the verge of getting his chance.

Clock is ticking The trade deadline is approaching fast. Who else will find themselves in a new uniform by Thursday's end? Ken Rosenthal has all the latest news and notes. The Reds have traded Griffey to the White Sox, pending his approval. Griffey will decide Thursday morning whether he will approve the deal, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. It is not known what the Reds would receive in return.

Griffey, as a player with 10 years of major-league service, five with the same club, has the right to block any deal. The White Sox attempted to acquire him from the Reds at the trade deadline in 2005, but the trade reportedly was nixed by Reds ownership for financial reasons.

The White Sox, leading the American League Central by a half-game, would use Griffey mostly in the outfield, the source said. However, they do not have an obvious spot for him unless they make another deal.

The Sox are set at the corners with Carlos Quentin in left and Jermaine Dye in right. They could play Nick Swisher at first to open center for Griffey, a move that would reduce the playing time of first baseman Paul Konerko. But Griffey has not played center regularly since 2006.

Griffey, 36, is batting .245 this season with a .355 on-base percentage, 15 home runs and 53 RBIs in 359 at-bats. Earlier this season, he hit his 600th home run.

FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Reds, ChiSox agree on Griffey trade, await approval

Griffey is 38 not 36 as the article stated. A Cincy sports writer has said that Griffey was seen saying his good-byes last night after the Reds/Astros game. If he wants to win he will accept this trade.

Griffey is 38 not 36 as the article stated. A Cincy sports writer has said that Griffey was seen saying his good-byes last night after the Reds/Astros game. If he wants to win he will accept this trade.

Sad AND happy day for me. Sad because he is my favorite player that went to my favorite team some 10 years ago...and happy because he is going to a team I like, the White Sox and he could win his long eluded World Series ring....:(

I'm not surprised to hear this today. Yesterday the local sportcasters here in Cincy were all over Griffey's arse and the Reds management. Good for Griffey though - now he will get a chance at a series.

Frankly, I never wish anyone to get hurt, but I'm close to that thinking. The whitesox are playing great and DON'T need more help :(

Tigers trading HOF catcher so Inge can play everyday (and bat .200) and we can have more bullpen. I don't like how August is looking.

I'm not surprised to hear this today. Yesterday the local sportcasters here in Cincy were all over Griffey's arse and the Reds management. Good for Griffey though - now he will get a chance at a series.

Sure he will get a better opportunity than in Cinci, but I don't think the White Sox will be able to overcome the Angels, Red Sox, Yankees or whoever else stands in their way in route to the WS.

Griffey has approved. Just heard the 2 players going to the Reds are Masset & Richar. Don't like losing Masset, now they do need to make the trade for Street.

sorry, jr or no jr, i don't see the white sox playing in the world series. i'm afraid he might hurt the team's chemistry. yes, i know konerko (another former red) stinks right now. but jr going back to center field is scary because of his injuries.

I hate to see him go, but am glad too. He looked like he was actually starting to get better the last few weeks. Not Dunn needs to go too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts