Ground on a Dish 500

Gray1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 11, 2005
St. Louis, Missouri
If you run dual RG6 with a messenger, with what and where do you connect
the ground? I went to the local dish store and they werent a lot of help.
They just said it went to a ground lug that they provide. Thats nice but it still
doesnt answer the question. Does anybody have a link to a picture or something that would help me? Would like to know if the lug crimps or soders to the messenger and where it attaches to the dish.

Thanks
Allen

You can buy a 5/16" machine-threaded ground screw at the local hardware store and install it on one of the small pre-drilled holes just above where the long bolt is threaded through the pipe. Don't wrap the wire all the way around the screw, just about 3/4 of the way, otherwise you'll cut the wire when you tighten the screw. The other way is to get a ground lug at the hardware store and bolt it to the mast. Yet another way still is to buy a ground strap and wrap it around the mast, though it's not as pretty.

The other end is supposed to connect to your house electrical ground. Look around your power meter to see if you can find a large copper wire attached to a rod in the dirt. That is the ideal place to ground it.

Here is a photo for you.

Attachments

• DSC02147.JPG
    DSC02147.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 405
Just to add to this topic. Messenger wire from the ground lug on the dish assembly to the ground block is acceptable but you must use at least 10 gauge ground wire from the ground block to the ground source. Also your ground block must have at least two ground points on it. One for the ground wire from the dish and the second for the ground wire going to the ground source. If you're going to go through the trouble to ground your system you should do it properly. Kudos by the way for grounding your system. :up

Here's some good stuff.

If you run dual RG6 with a messenger, with what and where do you connect
the ground? I went to the local dish store and they werent a lot of help.
They just said it went to a ground lug that they provide. Thats nice but it still
doesnt answer the question. Does anybody have a link to a picture or something that would help me? Would like to know if the lug crimps or soders to the messenger and where it attaches to the dish.

Thanks
Allen

HughesNet, Wildblue, DISH Network, DIRECTV Dealers and Installer locater
and
Grounding

Last edited:
Is that OK to use 7/16 bolts? They are aluminum that I found at a local hardware store.

I don't see a problem with it. I think Tyralak was trying to say you're supposed to use those green ground screws as oxidation and galvanic corrosion are more possible with other bondings of dis-similar metals. Water usually aids that process. You have a good mechanical bond there so you should be fine. If you're any bit concerned about it, you might put a dielectric sealant on that connection to prevent rainwater from accelerating the process.

A good example of this concept is in older homes where the electrical wiring was originally done with aluminum wiring and the homeowner replaces an electrical outlet with one intended for copper wiring. The corrosion that takes place makes the aluminum wire lose its aluminum and become gradually smaller in size. Eventually, the aluminum conductor is too small to carry the electricity and a lot of heat is produced, increasing the risk of fire. Fire has happened in that circumstance. I'm not trying to scare you. You're ground connection should never carry any amount of current capable of starting a fire or even noticeable heat.

I don't see a problem with it. I think Tyralak was trying to say you're supposed to use those green ground screws as oxidation and galvanic corrosion are more possible with other bondings of dis-similar metals. Water usually aids that process. You have a good mechanical bond there so you should be fine. If you're any bit concerned about it, you might put a dielectric sealant on that connection to prevent rainwater from accelerating the process.

A good example of this concept is in older homes where the electrical wiring was originally done with aluminum wiring and the homeowner replaces an electrical outlet with one intended for copper wiring. The corrosion that takes place makes the aluminum wire lose its aluminum and become gradually smaller in size. Eventually, the aluminum conductor is too small to carry the electricity and a lot of heat is produced, increasing the risk of fire. Fire has happened in that circumstance. I'm not trying to scare you. You're ground connection should never carry any amount of current capable of starting a fire or even noticeable heat.

OK, thanks. Was concerned more with a good tight connection. Used flat and lock washers to keep it tight. Just figured that was better than the green ground screw. Is the green ground screw the better way to go?

OK, thanks. Was concerned more with a good tight connection. Used flat and lock washers to keep it tight. Just figured that was better than the green ground screw. Is the green ground screw the better way to go?

Probably isn't anything to worry about either way. Just check on it every 6 months and see if any corrosion is building up around it. If there is, you can decide what to do about it then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)