Grounding at a DPP44 only

lakebum431

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
Norris, TN
Is it OK or maybe I should say acceptable to only ground using the slot on the DPP44? I ask because I have a Dish 500 and 61.5 had to install the DPP44 myself but I don't have any more grounding blocks so I can't run all 3 lines through it. It seems like this should work, but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks.

I'm just curious as to why. It seems like all static electricity would follow down the grounding wire. And why did they put grounding slots on the switches if they can't be used. Not arguing with you at all, I'm just curious.

I don't know what happened with the switches. There are some DPP44 manuals that say they can be used, then they put out a revied edition that removed all that information. I believe the wording on the DPP44 manual was that the 44 could be used in place of a grounding block in the first revision of the manual.

Maybe just a cover-their-ass move to avoid any issues down the road, but I know the offical answer I got back from dish was "DP34 and DPP44 switches cannot be used in place of grounding blocks".

Yeah, that's interesting. I think I'm just going to do it and say to hell with it. I don't feel like messing with anything else.

SatinKzo said:
No, the switches cannot be used as a grounding block eventhough some of the old manuals say so.

I can repost the emails I have had on this but a search will yield the results for you.

Old manuals? I have some spanking new DP 34s and their manuals still say that the 34 takes the place of the ground block.

I was talking explicity about the DPP44 Manuals.

Here is the email again I received from Dish
edited to remove identifying information and numbers

Thank you for your recent email.

Hopefully this helps and gives you some information.

A multi-dish switch can NOT take the place of a ground block. The following instructions apply to a ground block only.

You may want to install the ground block onto the side of the building, or on some other sturdy structure near the satellite dish. Make sure that the location is stable, and that you fasten the ground block tightly to the surface. As stated in Article 820-40 of the National Electrical Code (NEC), locate the ground block as close as possible to the power entry ground.

Mount the ground block so that its connections are horizontal. This helps keep moisture from leaking into the block. Using the shortest path possible, run the coaxial cable(s) from the LNBF(s) to the input(s) on the ground block.

Put a drip loop in each cable to allow moisture to drip from the cable before it runs into the ground block.

Run the ground wire to the power entry ground of the building in accordance with the National Electrical Code (NEC) and all local electrical codes.
A ground wire must always be a single piece of wire. Never splice two wires together for a ground. Corrosion and weathering can lead to a poor connection at the splice, making the ground ineffective and dangerous. If you cut the ground wire too short, replace it with a single wire cut to the correct length.

Thank you,

Amanda

Executive Office of Dish Network

Direct:

Email: @echostar.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 2:05 PM
To: CEO
Subject: Mult-switch approved?* amanda

I am seeing a conflict with local codes and the info inte DP34 manual. The manul states that the switch can take the place of a grounding block, is this true? Also what about the DPP44

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)