Grounding Block

raylock

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
New Jersey
I have been reading about proper grounding on this BB and as a result I took a look at my installation.

Dish installed a Dish 500 a little over a year ago. There are two sets of cables, one directed to a 522 receiver and the other directed to a 322 receiver. The cables from the dish enter the house and are connected directly to the receivers without any grounding. There is no separate ground wire from the dish either. Is this acceptable? I would think it is not desirable. Let me get some input here before I go off half cocked and call dish.

Thanks
Ray

Common sense

Guess this was a no-brainer. Called Dish and scheduled a service call to install proper grounding. Thanks for the responses.

Ray

Actually, a "no-brainer' is when you DON'T ask the question! I've learned two basic precepts in these forums: 1) almost everything has been asked/answered before but there's no harm in repeating it, and; 2) don't take anything for granted...!

PS - It will be interesting to see what the installer provides as "proper grounding". From what I'm reading, there's quite a bit of variability. Don't settle for anything that doesn't look right...!

PPS - Make sure you don't get charged for that call-back.

Is it acceptable to have the grounding block on the interior wall?

Is there any limit to the length of wire to the house ground? I think I am looking at 20-25 feet.

Reading the grounding info at the Sadoun site, it says an interior metal water pipe is an acceptable ground - If the grounding block was mounted where the cables come into the building, it would be an easy connect to pipe.

Thanks

TC

Here's a stupid question... what about connecting the ground block's messanger / ground wire to the 3rd prong or electrical (common) ground? I know that there are surge supressors with coax and phone inputs and outputs, i would assume they ultimatley ground to the common electrical ground once the surge supressor is plugged in?

If you have a surge supressor with coax connections, is it still necessary to have a grounding block, aren't you just creating another break in the line and reducing your signal?

Last edited:
I live in Southern California and have had two seperate installations - one for a one line Dish 500 in 2001 and the second to add a second line when I bought a 721 in 2003. Neither installer bothered to ground the lines - is this common for So Cal installations?

I am getting a Dish 1000 installed the end of the month so I will make sure the thing is grounded this time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)