Grounding dish & system > 200 ft apart

poptart

Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Michigan
I am installing a DishTV HD system on a 6ft mast that requires a 200 ft of cable, which I was going to use RG-11 and bury it without using conduit. Do I need to run a grounding cable back from the grounding rod placed at the mast/dish back to the house and to the house ground, which will connect to the grounding block heading into the house?
If I need to connect the dish and the house grounds, do I have to run the #6 wire through a conduit? Thanks for the advice.

The wire only needs to be 6ga if you're intending to establish a remote bonding point.

IIRC, the dish itself requires a drain wire on the order of 12ga (larger than the 14ga RG11).

I would highly recommend running PVC conduit. It will not cost you that much and if in the future you have a cable problem it is easy to replace. Also with time a rocks may damage the coax. Run a conduit twice the diameter than what you will need.

RG-11 seems like overkill for only 200ft, not to mention RG-11 fittings might be a pain to fit in the LNB arm. Anyway, whatever cable you go with, use conduit and multiple cable runs

I agree with Timberwolf. Does seem like overkill and I would for sure run an extra set of lines through he conduit for future use. Nothing like having something happen to the original lines and have to run new line after the fact. Much easier to do at first.