Grounding for KU Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just to throw another variable into the mess... Not all states have adopted the NEC or NYFPA or any other codes. One did not even require UL listing - do not know if that one still is an exception.
Then there is the insurance company that says nothing needs to be grounded, but everything must be bonded to a common ground point. Hmm is the bond still not grounded? "do not ignore the fpn." <<< if you do not understand the quote, it is an inside joke from NEC update class.

How do I ground a Ku Satellite dish? Is it the same way I would a regular TV antenna? Do I use a Grounding block? Or something else. A diagram or a photo of your setup would be helpful. Thanks.

Something that was mentioned in another posting about grounding which I hadn't thought about is just what type dish are we talking about, is it a small disk, a large C-band dish or something else and what type LNB/LNBF are you talking about.

The NEC now requires the Ufer system for ALL new construction, including homes.
At my workplace, the reinforcing grid is wired to a conventional copper ground rod. The 7,200VAC power transformer is also bonded to the same rod.

At my workplace, the reinforcing grid is wired to a conventional copper ground rod. The 7,200VAC power transformer is also bonded to the same rod.

The NEC doesn't require the copper ground rod in addition to the Ufer ground - but some inspectors like to see the old mixed with the new.
Bob

Since we are on the subject of grounding...

Instead of placing a coax grounding block near the house entrance could it be fastened onto the satellite dish mount instead and ground both the coax and dish at the same time? A grounding wire would then go from the grounding block to the main house grounding rod.

Instead of placing a coax grounding block near the house entrance could it be fastened onto the satellite dish mount instead and ground both the coax and dish at the same time? A grounding wire would then go from the grounding block to the main house grounding rod.
If your dish is fairly close to where your coax enters the home, or your dish is attached to your home then I'm sure that would be acceptable,

but from a "code" or inspectors point of view they like the block mounted as close as possible to where the coax enters the home, meaning a foot or two at most,

wescopc said:
The NEC doesn't require the copper ground rod in addition to the Ufer ground - but some inspectors like to see the old mixed with the new.
Bob

In LARGE commercial buildings there is a strong chance that the Ufer ground will lose conductivity as the soil under the concrete slab dries out. This is one reason why you find the old mixed with the new.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

PopcornNMore said:

I've been told that if the ground wire is longer than 8ft it is useless and considered not grounded...

I've been told that if the ground wire is longer than 8ft it is useless and considered not grounded...
Who ever told you that sure didn't have much technical training as grounding should always be done. And the only time length might come into play if it would be a RF ground and the frequency being used.

Last edited:
Sounds like a "mis-representation" of the 6 foot rule, requiring multiple ground rods to be not less than 6 feet from each other, which when bonded together constitute a single grounding electrode system .
The rule you cite has to do with "ground rings" as opposed to conventional bonding point grounds. It isn't necessary (or even applicable) for grounding individual items like antennas and weather vanes.

Did some reading on this thread and now i have a question! I have two items on my roof that require grounding!One is my weather station mounted on a tripod on the house roof and my 3 foot dish which is on the attached garage roof.Both grounds i have now are just tied to a long grounding rod drivin into the ground at the base of my foundation.At present this is the only ground since the main house ground is way on the other side of the house.My question here is!can i tie my earth ground im using now to an electrical box in my garage?I know my electrician who did the house wireing when the house was built 10 years ago new what he was doing.The boxes in the garage as well as all the electrical points in the home should be tied to the main house ground.PS my 6 ft on the main deck isnt grounded yet!i should find some time to take care of that.As a last resort i can buy around 100 feet of heavy duty grounding wire and run that from my grounding rod along the fondation to the other side of the housse and tie it to the main ground that way.Would that be my safest solution?

Last edited:
can i tie my earth ground im using now to an electrical box in my garage?

absolutely NOT !!

an electrical circuit ground can NOT be used to ground your dishes or wiring.....if you dish was ever struck by lightning that ground would burn your house down....

As a last resort i can buy around 100 feet of heavy duty grounding wire and run that from my grounding rod along the fondation to the other side of the housse and tie it to the main ground that way.

this would be best.....use #6 or bigger insulated wire....

your cables should also be grounded (if the are not now)

absolutely NOT !!

an electrical circuit ground can NOT be used to ground your dishes or wiring.....if you dish was ever struck by lightning that ground would burn your house down....

this would be best.....use #6 or bigger insulated wire....

your cables should also be grounded (if the are not now)

Thanks Mikey! Ill do a search on finding a 100ft roll of 6 guage insulated wire

There are three wires coming to my house from the power pole. Two insulated, (Hot, Hot) and one uninsulated (ground). The ground lead is attached to the meter base and then via #6 wire on down the pole to a ground rod.This ground extends into the house to the breaker box.This ground is also the neutral (white wire) connection. This common ground is what all my stuff, cables and dishes, are grounded to. As it should be.

Last edited:
There are three wires coming to my house from the power pole. Two insulated, (Hot, Hot) and one uninsulated (ground). The ground lead is attached to the meter base and then via #6 wire on down the pole to a ground rod.This ground extends into the house to the breaker box.This ground is also the neutral (white wire) connection. This common ground is what all my stuff, cables and dishes, are grounded to. As it should be.
yep! Thats what im seeing here also!this is where i will tie my grounding rod to.

But just so we are all on the same page; Proper grounding is needed for making sure our equipment functions as intended, and not interupted with stray static buildups or unwanted noise in the circuit. Lightning protection is a different consideration.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)