Grounding Q...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jlong27

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
Katy, TX
I have had dish network installed since 2006 with 2 dishes. My brother just gave me a 1000.2. So I did some research on the benefits of switching out my 2 dish setup for 1 dish. My conclusion is there is no major difference between a 2 dish setup and 1 dish but I uncovered something. My dishes are improperly grounded.

Here is where my questions come in. My dishes are installed near the top of my roof in the back corner opposite to my electric meter / ground point. I noticed that my dishes are grounded to my water heater which is in my attic. My house has cpvc pipes and the water heater has a converter from cpvc to copper which is where it is grounded. Not only that but my water heater is gas, not electric so there isn't even a ground to the electrical service.

From all I read, it's not acceptable to ground to copper plumbing that far from the point of entry into the house much less grounding to PLASTIC PIPES!

Driving around my neighborhood about 3/4 of the dishes are installed in the back of houses near the upper part of the roof and the rest are installed just above the electric meter at the bottom of the roof.

What should I do about this?

if you can , run the coxial from dish to electric meter, ground it on the meter( within 20 feet, shorter the better), run the coxial back from ground block to the dish.

or ground to the cold water pipe on the water heater

or relocate dish

Grounding, though required to pass installation, is not as important as they say. Depending on the distance from one side of the house to the other, the signal loss from adding cabling may not be worth the ability to ground it.

On a side note, why is your water heater in your attic? That just sounds like a really bad idea.

Grounding, though required to pass installation, is not as important as they say. Depending on the distance from one side of the house to the other, the signal loss from adding cabling may not be worth the ability to ground it.

On a side note, why is your water heater in your attic? That just sounds like a really bad idea.

I guess I'll leave it grounded the way it is.

Not sure why it's in the attic. The home builder put it there and I bought the house from the 1st owner. I kinda like it there, doesn't take up room in the garage.

jlong27 said:
I guess I'll leave it grounded the way it is.

Not sure why it's in the attic. The home builder put it there and I bought the house from the 1st owner. I kinda like it there, doesn't take up room in the garage.

Thats gonna be hassle to change out when wears out.

And on your grounging note. If it hasn't caused a pronlem not being grounded thus far i woudnt worry so much about it.

Thats gonna be hassle to change out when wears out.

And on your grounging note. If it hasn't caused a pronlem not being grounded thus far i woudnt worry so much about it.

I'll probably leave it up there and just drain it. I'll replace it with a tankless unit. I did a little research and saw that quite a few people with newer homes have the water heater in the attic. One suggestion I saw was to install a water sensing shutoff valve. I will be doing that ASAP.

I will leave the dishes grounded the way they are. When I replace the shingles I may move them and install a single dish next to the electric meter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)