Grounding

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MB33

Original poster
Nov 28, 2006
HD OTA Team:
I'm running a ground wire from my coax spliter and attaching it to the ground wire coming from the antenna mast leading to the rod buried in the ground....i.e.

Mast>>Mast wire>>intersection of coax ground wire and mast wire>>grounding rod

Is this set up OK or do I need separate ground wires running from each item all the way to the grounding rod?

separate wires aren't needed, but i would recommend all ground wires be atleast 10 gauge, and make sure that electric is grounded to the same ground rod. The ideal situation is all utilities and your antenna share the one ground.

see pic

Attachments

• grounding.gif
    grounding.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 238
Dodge,
We must be mistaken. I reported a NLOS to DSI because the building ground was very far away from a cx second floor apartment and there was no landlord permission to run wire or locate a dish outside the tennan's rented space.

Dsi sent another tech who got the job activated. He used magic ground source.

Joe

My antenna and coax ground block are about 60' from my power ground. I have a #6 run from the power ground to another ground rod at the coax ground location. There I have a #10 from ground block and a #6 from the ota bonded to the #6 at the 2nd ground rod. When in doubt, bond the hell out of it.

A little cornfused!!!!

According to the NEC, mast/mount grounding is to be done directly with no splices or connections between the mast/mount and the ground rod.

Yet, in the picture above it clearly shows the mast ground going to the ground block first, a run to the ground rod, then onto the whole house ground. What gives???

Or, is this simply a matter of "BONDING" the antenna ground to the whole house ground?

Last edited:
Grounding for RF:
Most people do not know how very important ground is when using any coaxial cable. You should never ever cut any coaxial cable just to put in a grounding block!. Coaxial cable works best grounded at both ends.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)