Status
Not open for further replies.

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
Well upon awakening yesterday morning, the Samsung HLN617W DLP had a blank/black screen and the three blinking lights (indicative of dead lamp).
I'd been thinking lately that I may need to have my eyes checked as some of the HD wasn't as "popping" as usual, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Also, some broadcasts seemed "dark", but it didn't seem consistent. I just blew it off as differences in network HD.
Then during one commercial Friday night, my wife (who never really critiques the pic quality) said, "that comercial sure was dark". Now I see that as an omen. Later while watching "My Name is Earl" off the DVR, the image seemed to "step down" to a slightly lower brightness. I actually saw it happen, so I backed-up the DVR to see if I could catch it again, but no luck. Hehehe...that's 'cause the phenomenon had already occured and remained constant. It's just that insidious.
So after waking to a black image yesterday, I called my Circuit City extended service company and had 'em send out another bulb. I was told the order would be processed Monday, then it would take 2-4 days after that to arrive. I asked if I could pay for expedited shipping. So $18 later, it'll be overnighted to me and should arrive Tuesday.
I've no idea how many hours were on the bulb, but we've had the set since June 2004. I leave the set on for the entire weekend most weekends, though. Then it gets at least 7 hours per day on weekdays. So I suppose it's lived its expected life span.
I sure wish I had a spare lamp, though. A while back, I told my wife that I'd like to call-in to the extended service company and tell 'em my bulb was out, just so they'd send me a spare, but she rightfully frowned on the dishonesty. I think she's re-thinking that strategy now, however.

So is the bulb covered under warrenty ?

How much would the bulb cost if not., Had you now considered purchasing a "spare bulb for the next time ?

Some of the other guys on the site can give you more accurate bulb life info, Yes it's rated by hours on, and it does look like you have yours on quite a bit

My 60"XBR LCD is on alot, usually from 5 to 11 or so week nites and most of the day on the Weekends, of course I turn it off when I leave the house

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
So is the bulb covered under warrenty ?
How much would the bulb cost if not., Had you now considered purchasing a "spare bulb for the next time ?
Some of the other guys on the site can give you more accurate bulb life info, Yes it's rated by hours on, and it does look like you have yours on quite a bit
My 60"XBR LCD is on alot, usually from 5 to 11 or so week nites and most of the day on the Weekends, of course I turn it off when I leave the house
Jimbo

Yes, the bulb is warranty. (that was an extended service plan selling point for me).

The bulb would've cost ~$200.

Yes, I'll probably purchase a spare in the near future.

I know it's rated by "hours on" but I believe cycles shorten the life more than sustained hours. (If someone has info to contradict this, then please speak up) So, my rule of thumb is that if the duration of time that I would not be watching the set would be 2 hours or less, then I would leave the set on. If it's gonna be longer than that, then I'll shut 'er down.

Once I get the bulb replaced, I'll look in the service menu to see the actual hours expended (then I'll reset it).

Last edited:
I inspected the dead bulb this evening (won't have the replacement until Tuesday). I just wanted to see how complicated the install would be. Very simple. I didn't expect to see much on the lamp since I've heard that its often useless to determine integrity based on visual inspection of the "filament" given the nature of the lamp. However, mine is pretty obvious. There's clearly shattered glass inside the actual glass housing. Guess it was its time!

I also use a 12" widescreen-TFT 'cos our energy here in Germany has damn high prices :(

But this screen and my small DVB-T-receiver can be used with 12V in my car :D And I can receive up to 24 TV channels and more than 30 radio channels with it over antenna.
At home I have more than 3000 TV channels by satellite dish ... and all of them I'm watching with this 12" widescreen :D

Only good movies I'm watching with my 29" SONY.

I don't know what happened to my post, but you really should have had a replacement on hand.

Also, the symptoms you mentioned immediately screamed "dimming bulb" to me, and probably any DLP owner, so i'm surprised you didn't diagnose it faster. Remind me to never let you drive me anywhere at night...

Chalk it up to inexperience. Get a spare bulb in the house, and don't wait for it to stop working before you replace it. When it gets dim like any other bulb, sure you can still use it but you'll get less performance.

Purogamer said:
I don't know what happened to my post, but you really should have had a replacement on hand.

Also, the symptoms you mentioned immediately screamed "dimming bulb" to me, and probably any DLP owner, so i'm surprised you didn't diagnose it faster. Remind me to never let you drive me anywhere at night...

Chalk it up to inexperience. Get a spare bulb in the house, and don't wait for it to stop working before you replace it. When it gets dim like any other bulb, sure you can still use it but you'll get less performance.

He was under the CC protection plan, so that might have made a difference. I dont think the plan will give you a spare bulb in case you wear the other one out :). More likely they either want to inspect the old bulb or the unit before they hand over something expensive like a bulb. I guess you could call them when its dimming and tell them to get ready and order a new one, not sure what thier policies are.

Its only tv after all right? :D If my bulb burns out before I get a spare, I might find myself reading one of these books I've been meaning to read for awhile!

Purogamer said:

Well, the replacement bulb for mine is $800. I think I'll seriously concider a new TV when it goes.

Anyone know a site for lower cost replacement DLP bulbs / cartriges (apparently mine needs the whole assembly).

It's an RCA if it matters.

Shawn

Purogamer said:
Yeah, I know I should've had a replacement on-hand, but as HokieEngineer mentioned, I was taking advantage of the Circuit City extended service plan (which does not just give you a spare bulb). As I mentioned, I'd considered lying to them prior to any hint of bulb failure, just to get them to send me a bulb that I would then use as a spare. However, my wife appealed to my moral values and convinced me not to lie.
Please keep in mind that my observances (dimming, fading picture) are in retrospect. Rarely, I would think that a particular broadcast seemed kind of dim, but then other broadcasts seemed fine. Given that, alone, even if I had a spare, I wouldn't have changed it out solely based on those occasional observances. Retrospectively, I think that perhaps the images that were "dimming" were basically dark programs to begin with (i.e. Law & Order), while the images that were "fine" were brightly lit, stark colored, graphics intense, sporting events. In other words the brightness (or lack thereof) was relative.
I realize that my post seemed to take anyone with basic DLP knowledge down a logical path of signs to impending bulb failure, but these signs were, in real-time, insidious and infrequent. I will probably (after about 3K hours on the new lamp) pay close attention for such signs, and as soon as I'm aware of them, I'll report "bulb failure" to Circuit City.

Rule of thumb that I use with my projector: Once it's on, leave it on for at least 2 hours and when it's off, leave it off for at least 2 hours. I am getting much better service from my 2nd bulb by doing this. My first one blew just shy of 120 days old so it was replaced under warranty. I've now had the 2nd bulb over 2400 hours and it is still going strong (cross my fingers). My bulbs run $300.

I have the HLP6163W and HLP4663W from Samsung since January and not one has bulb problems. Sears had the best price at $184 per lamp locally at the parts department. I also have protection on the TV's but with service the way it is, it helps to have one just incase. No tv and no beer make Tüjü go CRAZY!

Well, when you buy the DLP you really should have learned some of the symptoms, or had the guy at the store mention it. I realize guys at CC work on commission so if they'll sell you a protection plan, they should offer basic advice like bulb performance.

Even if they replace the bulb for free, isn't the 13" tv, and the diminished picture quality, worth the price of a new bulb?

Replaced the lamp today. All is well. When I went into SM to clear the lamp hours I noted that I'd used 6832 hours on the old lamp. I suppose that's expected. The lamps rated for 5000 hrs.

Purogamer said:

There is no way I would buy a spare. IMO that is the worst thing you could do. Buy a spare then 2 years later you need it? if it doesnt work I doubt any store is going to take anything back after that long. Not even sure a manufacturer would?? Id think you would have just lost 200 bucks plus interest. Besides you are better off waiting a few days to get the fresh bulb and paying a lower price in the future IMO.

sksatellite said:
An RCA ?? I had stopped buying RCA product for the last 25 years.
I'm learning ;) .

The original remote crapped out about 4 months after I bought the TV. I got it replaced under warranty. The new remote crapped out in all of 2 weeks.

The TV itself is pretty nice. The Tivo / Voom / Pansat remotes all work seamlessly with it. The original remote just sucks.

I think I'm going to get another replacement before the warranty is up and leave it sealed in a bag until I need to adjust the TV.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleratec USB Copy Cruiser Plus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)