Guide starting to burn-in on my HDTV, any fix?

Doppy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
My guide has been burning-in on my HDTV when I leave it open for at least a minute or so. I can see the lines from the guide on the picture, but then they eventually start to fade away and by the next morning they're gone only to come back again when i re-open the guide. It's an LCD and I've only had it for about two years. I do use the guide a lot, probably more than most people do. Is there anyway to fix this or stop it from happening?

Technically, LCD TV’s aren’t susceptible to burn-in. What you’re experiencing can be described as “pixel persistence” and sometimes called “video memory” which is I think more noticeable on lower end TV’s. This should go away on its own.

There isn't any burn-in on LCD TVs. What the OP describes sounds like what happens when a capacitor discharges slowly.

I don't have a doctorate in LCD either but everything that I've read/seen has stated that they are not subject to 'burn-in' like you are mentioning. Like kbghdg mentioned, it has happened to him also but then the TV died right after. Perhaps your TV is about to die too and 'everything' is burning in but you actually only notice the guide. ...I hope that's not the case!

I replaced our DLP HDTV with a LCD. Just before the DLP died (the 3rd time) I asked the repair man what kind of HDTVs are the best in terms of quality/not-crapping-out and he said none of them... that no matter what kind you get, there's some drawback to it and he hadn't seen many HDTVs (of any type, plama, LCD, DLP, etc., anything) that lasted nearly as long as the old standard defs.

I don't have a doctorate in LCD either but everything that I've read/seen has stated that they are not subject to 'burn-in' like you are mentioning. Like kbghdg mentioned, it has happened to him also but then the TV died right after. Perhaps your TV is about to die too and 'everything' is burning in but you actually only notice the guide. ...I hope that's not the case!

I replaced our DLP HDTV with a LCD. Just before the DLP died (the 3rd time) I asked the repair man what kind of HDTVs are the best in terms of quality/not-crapping-out and he said none of them... that no matter what kind you get, there's some drawback to it and he hadn't seen many HDTVs (of any type, plama, LCD, DLP, etc., anything) that lasted nearly as long as the old standard defs.

I've heard similar stories about HDTV. Most claim the average life of any HDTV is about 5 years.

Too bad they stopped making RP-CRT HDTV's.

With care they can last 10-15 years and if you keep the brightness and contrast below 50% they will not burn in either.

They've got us paying twice as much for a TV that lasts half as long - what a racket!

Too bad they stopped making RP-CRT HDTV's.
I'm with you on this one. I love my 57" Hitachi CRT and have never had any problems with burn-in. It's coming up on 4 years old, so it is overdue for a good optics cleaning, but other than that it has been a great TV and still rivals the picture quality of anything else on the market today.

Going back to the OP's comments, I experienced something similar when I bought my first LCD computer monitor several years ago. I left a very bright background image up without a screensaver and then when I was typing something up in Microsoft Word I realized that I could still see the background image. I thought "Oh no I ruined my new monitor!" but after a couple hours on a white screen it was as good as new.

"Sorry, honey, but we have to buy a new TV. It's been five years and Satellite Guys says we have to get one." Works for me.

I had an SD TV that was still doing well after 30 years. I kept it around because it was a wide-screen (50-inch), My current DLP is four years old, and I haven't experienced any problems with it either. Both are Mitsubishi's.

Maybe the factory just has 'good days' and 'bad days' like the rest of us.

Perhaps it is not called burn in, but I have seen this on several lower end LCD tvs in the past. Many that kept working for a long time after they developed this problem

Suprised to see it on an LG however.

I believe it's referred to as "image retention". It's a temporary situation common to LCD TVs. I haven't seen where any permanent damage has been attributed to this, but you never know......But...it could be a good excuse to purchase a new one !!!!!

I am suprised people complain about TV's costing twice as much. I know for a fact that any good TV someone purchased 15 to 20 years cost $500 to $1500. The funny thing is, those older TVs can't do anything caparable to the TVs we have now. I think people complain just for the sake of complaining.

I am suprised people complain about TV's costing twice as much. I know for a fact that any good TV someone purchased 15 to 20 years cost $500 to $1500. The funny thing is, those older TVs can't do anything caparable to the TVs we have now. I think people complain just for the sake of complaining.

No... most TV's purchased during the pre-HD era in that time (like 1985-2000) were $100-400. Yeah, some people had huge rear projection 4:3 SD sets. Some even had those huge front projection sets with the red green and blue lights projecting onto a screen. However, most folks bought 19-27" tubes. 30" or above were considered huge. I had a 19" Symphonic last for 20 plus years. I had a 13" Sanyo break after 2 years during the 1980's. My 27" Panasonic is nearly 10 years old and still kicking.

BTW, the older tube TV's do one obvious thing better than any HDTV (front projection, rear projection, CRT, plasma, LCD, etc.) out there--display SD content. Sorry, but those old tube TV's blow away every plasma and LCD out there when it comes to displaying SD content. (They do for black levels and viewing angles, too. But that's another discussion.)

Scherrman, if your HDTV lasts 10-15 years then congrats to you. I've already replaced at least one bulb w/ my rear projection DLP. I knew that going in. But the bulbs are still $100 a piece. People who bought flat panels have to deal w/ image half life that lasts 5-10 years tops. RP CRT's reliable? I've seen burn-in on those, geometry chips burned out, and a myriad of other issues. Many of these sets sold for a lot more than your $1500 ceiling. People have the right to be miffed about $3k and $4k paperweights. That's just MHO.

I don't know too many people buying 19" - 27" TVs for there main sets anymore. I myself think that a 42" TV around $1000 is a pretty good deal, and it's only getting better. I know everyone that grew up with products that lasted 20 years are getting pissed, but I don't think it will ever be that way again. I sell TVs and aplliances and it's just not the same, but I don't need to tell anyone that, they already know.

To tell you the truth, I don't think I want to hang on to a TV that long. I'd rather keep up with technology. But thats just me. It is a shame there are no longer any long lasting quality products out there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts