Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
HD Cinema (104): The Three Stooges in Orbit **+ (1962, Comedy)​

6303442366.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Summary: The Three Stooges in Orbit has the team playing not only themselves but themselves trying to make it big on a television show. Since they keep breaking leases by cooking in their apartments, they rent a room in a spooky castle that houses not only a wacky professor (played by "the fourth Stooge," Emil Sitka, veteran of many a Stooge short) and his pretty daughter, but a pair of Martians who are waiting for him to perfect his latest invention and use it to conquer the Earth. After an old situation-device in which the craft is too large to leave the workroom, the Stooges make a trip into space that adds nothing to the plot, and finally defeat the invaders by hoisting them on their own petard. The usual chase routine is replaced here by a fairly well done sequence in which the team is outside the craft trying to thwart the two Martians locked inside the craft, while a death ray is wiping out most of California. (The use of stock footage from other monster-invasion films is unintentionally hilarious.)
The love interest, deemed so necessary in films aimed at young audiences, is brief and tinged with mild comedy. The Martian make-up is obviously based on the original Frankenstein head shape, and it is a relief to hear them speak in some babble other than English as subtitles "translate" for us. In fact, the cleverest bit in this film is Moe's reading a subtitle to learn of the proposed destruction of this planet--a gag worthy of Mel Brooks. The film reveals its age when the chief Martian bangs his boot on the table in the manner of Khrushchev and his shoe at the United Nations. But the only real weaknesses are Curly Joe's fright reactions, so much funnier when done by Curly or Shemp in the past. --Frank Behrens

HD Cinema (104): The Three Stooges Meet Hercules **+ (1962, Comedy)

6303439748.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Summary: Very much in the tradition of such Columbia Three Stooges period shorts as "Back to the Woods," the 1962 costume epic The Three Stooges Meet Hercules is 100% pure Moe-Larry-Curly Joe comedy, with the barest of a ho- hum love interest to detract from the nonsense at hand. Working at the pharmacy of an ill-tempered boss (George N. Neise) and friends of a budding time-machine inventor named Schuyler (Quinn Redeker), the Stooges and Schuyler, along with the obligatory attractive female, Diana (Vicki Trickett), are transported back to the time of Hercules. Here the legendary hero (Samson Burke) is the enforcer for King Odius (Neise in a double role), and anachronisms are rampant in an English-speaking ancient Greece.
Twice condemned as galley slaves, the Stooges see that Schuyler now has the muscles but not the self-confidence to rescue Diana and the rest of Greece from the odious Odius. Schuyler is tricked into thinking himself all-powerful and performs many Herculean labors (with many a stuffed animal and some decent backscreen projection).

Although Curly Joe seems a few notches above his namesake in the brains department (which is not saying all that much), his reactions at times of real and supposed danger are quite ordinary compared with the old Curly. In fact, it is Moe who takes on the Curly bark at a recalcitrant prop. But the old sound effects are there to punctuate blows to belly and head, although eye pokes are out, due to parental objections to the influence of the trio, newly popular on television. --Frank Behrens

FINALLY--something I will watch on Cinema 10. I sure wish they would brand 1 channel as Comedy!!!

I said the same thing like 20 times here, all the cinema channels should be genre specific like Gunslingers and Monsters, I don't care if Encore and Starz have the same idea.

We watch Cinema10 a lot more often then we do HDNet Movies and INHD2 combined! The Stooges were a welcomed treat this morning (wife didn't agree), but the experience would be much better without that annoying Curly Joe...IMO.

Just as long as the PG is FINALLY ACCURATE, the entire family will be watching A Little Princess this evening on Cinema1

NYUK, NYUK, NYUK :D

Yes, create a Comedy-HD film channel. Bring all the stooges films and honeymooners. series. Three's company is another one that was good.

I wish I had time to sit down and watch one movie end to end more often. I finally caught "The Wall" on HDNET last night, the first live movie I've sat through in ages. On the other hand, I've recorded and burned over 100 movies to DVD so I can watch them as I find the time.

Sean Mota said:
Yes, create a Comedy-HD film channel. Bring all the stooges films and honeymooners. series. Three's company is another one that was good.

Would the Honeymooners and Three's COmpany be on 16mm/32mm film that can be upconverted? Man if those hit that would be my wife's favorite Voom channel by far.

Sean Mota said:
Yes make it one of the 5 cinema channels! turn off the other 5 and run 4 more movies on each.

I consider Kelly's Heroes the greatest movie ever made. And it was a bit of a comedy. Id die to see that in HD

Clint Eastwood .... Pvt. Kelly
Telly Savalas .... Master Sgt. Big Joe
Don Rickles .... Staff Sgt. Crapgame
Carroll O'Connor .... Major General Colt
Donald Sutherland .... Sgt. Oddball, Tank Commander
Gavin MacLeod .... Moriarty, Tank crewman
Hal Buckley .... Captain Maitland
Stuart Margolin .... Pvt. Little Joe
Jeff Morris .... Pvt. Cowboy
Richard Davalos .... Pvt. Gutowski
Perry Lopez .... Pvt. Petuko
Tom Troupe .... Cpl. Job
Harry Dean Stanton .... Pvt. Willard (as Dean Stanton)
Dick Balduzzi .... Pvt. Fisher
Gene Collins .... Pvt. Babra

PLease run this movie PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll vote for this one, as well!

vurbano said:
I consider Kelly's Heroes the greatest movie ever made. And it was a bit of a comedy. Id die to see that in HD

Clint Eastwood .... Pvt. Kelly
Telly Savalas .... Master Sgt. Big Joe
Don Rickles .... Staff Sgt. Crapgame
Carroll O'Connor .... Major General Colt
Donald Sutherland .... Sgt. Oddball, Tank Commander
Gavin MacLeod .... Moriarty, Tank crewman
Hal Buckley .... Captain Maitland
Stuart Margolin .... Pvt. Little Joe
Jeff Morris .... Pvt. Cowboy
Richard Davalos .... Pvt. Gutowski
Perry Lopez .... Pvt. Petuko
Tom Troupe .... Cpl. Job
Harry Dean Stanton .... Pvt. Willard (as Dean Stanton)
Dick Balduzzi .... Pvt. Fisher
Gene Collins .... Pvt. Babra

PLease run this movie PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great choice, Vurbano! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts