H-20 DIGITAL SOUND OUTPUT in MONO for "ALL" non-HD channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Whew! :up

Thanks guys for trying it out! :music:
I don't feel :what anymore!

For now, only at this forum we would be the ONES with the H-20 and the "dangling insulated" L+R wire!

Just thinking of calling D* as a consumer they would probably only say "Thanks"! and maybe at best a $50.00 credit... IF THEY BELIEVE this NONSENSE...
(or maybe they know about this but are keeping it quiet...?)

Could you imagine, a HUGE RECALL of H-20's? :eek: because of this!

I had the AT-9/H-20 upgrade 2 weeks ago, and since I kept watching ONLY the HD channels, I never paid attention to the non-HD channels audio.

My bedroom still has a non-HD Philips DSX 5500 which has always been connected to the L+R channels in my stereo TV.

When I spotted the "mono-stereo" situation I kept running back and forth (living room-bedroom) with my headphones, and could not believe the Philips sounded better than the H-20!

Next natural step was to get the RCA L+R wire out of the "sealed package", and while plugging it behind the H-20, that's when I heard the difference!

But it took me hours... to post here...
I knew it would be a very skeptical posting...

jalegria11 said:
Whew! :up

Thanks guys for trying it out! :music:
I don't feel :what anymore!

For now, only at this forum we would be the ONES with the H-20 and the "dangling insulated" L+R wire!

Just thinking of calling D* as a consumer they would probably only say "Thanks"! and maybe at best a $50.00 credit... IF THEY BELIEVE this NONSENSE...
(or maybe they know about this but are keeping it quiet...?)

Could you imagine, a HUGE RECALL of H-20's? :eek: because of this!

I had the AT-9/H-20 upgrade 2 weeks ago, and since I kept watching ONLY the HD channels, I never paid attention to the non-HD channels audio.

My bedroom still has a non-HD Philips DSX 5500 which has always been connected to the L+R channels in my stereo TV.

When I spotted the "mono-stereo" situation I kept running back and forth (living room-bedroom) with my headphones, and could not believe the Philips sounded better than the H-20!

Next natural step was to get the RCA L+R wire out of the "sealed package", and while plugging it behind the H-20, that's when I heard the difference!

But it took me hours... to post here...
I knew it would be a very skeptical posting...

My H20/At-9 installation was just last Saturday. So, like you, I was sticking to watching the HD channels. They sounded great and I didn't even realize I HAD a problem with the SD channels until your post. You've done a great service in reporting this.

Sorry to say, though, that the folks on avsforum know about this now too, because I posted it there. One guy from Maine already tried it and it worked for him too. Its crazy. I would like to hear an explanation about why it works and what may be causing this. Think about the THOUSANDS of H20 owners who don't know about this!

One question, though. I did this when tuned to an XM radio channel. My left-right separation returned when I did this, but the receiver still reported receiving PCM audio (although it sounds worlds better with the separation restored). I tried tuning into other SD video channels and none of them reported Dolby Digital 2.0 - just PCM.

From your original post your receiver, I gather, immediately reported receiving Dolby Digital 2.0. Is that correct?

Last edited:
kentuck1163 said:
My H20/At-9 installation was just last Saturday. So, like you, I was sticking to watching the HD channels. They sounded great and I didn't even realize I HAD a problem with the SD channels until your post. You've done a great service in reporting this.

Sorry to say, though, that the folks on avsforum know about this now too, because I posted it there. One guy from Maine already tried it and it worked for him too. Its crazy. I would like to hear an explanation about why it works and what may be causing this. Think about the THOUSANDS of H20 owners who don't know about this!

One question, though. I did this when tuned to an XM radio channel. My left-right separation returned when I did this, but the receiver still reported receiving PCM audio (although it sounds worlds better with the separation restored). I tried tuning into other SD video channels and none of them reported Dolby Digital 2.0 - just PCM.

From your original post your receiver, I gather, immediately reported receiving Dolby Digital 2.0. Is that correct?

Disregard that "kentuck1163", I tried to get technical with that...

I wanted to call "stereo" DD 2.0 and "mono" DD 1.0 ..... :rolleyes:

My receiver picks up the signal either way in "STEREO" (dangling wire plugged or unplugged; now permanently plugged!)

Another observation, I see on the H-20 screen menu, the "DD" only shows for the HD channels (right top corner), and only a "blue octagon" and "Mini Guide" for the non-HD channels.
That's where you see the receiver switching from "DD" to "STEREO"

It seems the H-20 has only been set up for "HD video and DD audio purposes", "STEREO" disregarded.

And I always thought "optical" was BEST until this happened!

Kind of reminds me when I got my XM installed in my old Explorer. I swore up and down to the wife that it wasn't in stereo because of the lack of separation on certain songs. Sure enough, one day I remembered to check the cable into the dock and found they had used a 2 conductor instead of a 3.

Well... I did not call D*, but send them a message to "Please forward to TECH SUPPORT for H-20", and sent them a link to this thread.

It still doesn't make sense, but it has to be addressed.

Maybe it could be fixed on the next firmware upgrade?

Let's see what the reply would be.

I swear "dervari", that's the worst feeling when you think you are actually going crazy... for an irrelevant "mono-stereo" situation...

I really don't see how this could be something that could be fixed through firmware. And who I really feel sorry for is all those people who are itching to use their optical inputs on their receivers and who will miss out on stereo.

I have my TV connected to the H20 through an HDMI cable, but I run the optical cable to my AV receiver.

Its just so funny that you found this when you did, because I had just checked out the XM channels and thought to myself, "gee, these don't sound all that great - why would anyone pay for them?". Well, with the stereo separation restored, they sound a whole lot better.

Same here, H-20 goes to TV with HDMI, and optical for the receiver.
I have been using optical since I felt in love with DTS...

Never thought this could happen, since I always thought "optical" meant perfection! until now.

I hope more people test this, and actually complain to DirecTV about the H-20...
I sent them an e-mail and I know they do keep track of all your e-mails once you put your account number. When I called them for my upgrade the CSR read word by word the e-mail I had sent before.

At best, we can once again, enjoy the XM and non-HD channels the way they were supposed to, in STEREO !

Message received from D*
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 5:23 PM
Subject: Please forward to TECH SUPPORT for the H-20 [Incident: 060309-002063]

Dear jalegria11,

Thanks for your comments. We're always looking for ways to enhance our services, and customer feedback is very important to us.
I have forwarded your comments on to DIRECTV Management.
We often make changes to our service based on customer requests, and we conduct customer surveys on a regular basis to get feedback and new ideas.

We’re committed to enhancing our services with new equipment and new features like home networking, interactive TV and MPEG-4 transmission technology just to name a few. Visit our Media Center at http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutus/headlines.dsp to learn more about these and other new equipment announcements.

Thanks again for your email, and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our service.

Sincerely,

Emmanuel
DIRECTV Customer Service

---------------------------------------------------------------
Original Message Follows:

DIRECTV FEEDBACK MESSAGE

Name: jalegria11
[Account Number:]
Email Address:
[Topic Selected: Other]
Subject: Please forward to TECH SUPPORT for the H-20

I could not figure out what was wrong with the sound when listening to XM on D*. I've tried moving my speakers and even my chair. It never occurred to me I was listening to a mono signal! Well, the RCA cables fully addressed this issue. Simply unbelievably weird. I'm very grateful that you posted this information. Many thanks!

Evan

You're welcome "evanfew"!

Another satisfied H-20 D* customer! :)

Just pass the info. along and we will have a whole crowd of H-20 owners believing the unbelievable!

:up

Exploring more into the subject, there is one person at the AVS forum who actually opened the
H-20 and found out what is really happening...

INSIDE THE........ H-20 !!!!!

Thanks, "arXsaw", and "Kentuck1163" for spreading the word.

Check out Grizzly One's findings! :up

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=598538&page=61&pp=30

Do you think this ERROR... should qualify for a recall or credit in H-20 subscribers' accounts?

:confused:

jalegria11 said:
Do you think this ERROR... should qualify for a recall or credit in H-20 subscribers' accounts?:confused:

Maybe, if either, 1) They admit it publically, or 2) Someone(s) drags them into court with evidence backed by a expert witness, or 3) Enough consumer complaints get the appropriate attention.

As stated by "Grizzly One" at the AVS forum:

"Just plugging plugs into the jacks with no terminations on the other end, should not change anything, (such as resistance, impedance etc.) on standard jacks. I took the cover off my H-20 and took a close look at the jacks.

The video out jacks are standard 2 conductor jacks.

However, the audio jacks have a third conductor that acts as a switch.

When you plug in a plug it opens one of the contacts that is shorted without the plug inserted.

This is what is turning on the stereo.

I have no idea why they did this without the schematics.
Maybe someone else can figure that one out.

Having figured out how the jacks work though, I just went to Radio Shack and got a pair of RCA plugs with no wires attached and plugged them in. That way I don't have a bunch of spare wire flopping around. Stereo Optical Output works great. "

:hatsoff: to "Grizzly One"!

Interesting!
WHY would they do that....?

Hopefully, the right people are reading the post and taking this defect into account.

It sounds irrelevant, and it is an easy solution just to plug wires, or go the extra mile to Radio Shack.

But, THIS IS A MAJOR DEFECT and something must be done.

We are still LOYAL paying subscribers and deserve an explanation, credit, or even replacement.

Why should we doubt about our AV receivers, optical connections, or even chair or speakers' position?

This was found "by accident", and now is out in the clear.

Thanks, "charper1", and "damaged" for your input.

I tried all things mentioned in this thread so far and my H20 suffers the same bug. Just like everyone else, I can't believe I didn't notice this on my own. I usually don't watch tv with my stereo on, but I'm still surprised I didn't notice this at all.

Plugged in the L+R RCAs to the back of my receiver and voila! Put my ear next to the speakers and everything sounds fine. Take the RCAs out and all of the sudden no right channel audio. I hope this is fixable via a software update, mostly for the sake of others with the H20 and are unaware of this defect. I have no problem leaving a RCA cable dangling in the back but it's kind of stupid that I need it in the first place. I think the QA team needs to add this scenario to their test cases for all future receivers...

Certainly no legal expert here (nor am I a happy D* customer at the moment), but I don't think you can sue a company if you agree to settle all complaints with them through arbitration. Arbitration is agreed to by you in their contract, when you agree to subscribe to D* service.

Good grief..while this appears to be a design/build flaw in the audio jacks of the H20, its neither the end of the world nor a reason to join the "let's jump on the lawyer class action lawsuit" bandwagon.

I appreciate the time spent to simply point out this minor flaw and the easy related $1.29 RCA plug(s) Radio Shack remedy.

This is the point where Jon Stassel usually says "Give me a Break".

For those who clearly live their lives just to sue someone at any opportunistic whim.....perhaps another hobby can sooth your pain... :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Any GREAT HD DVR SUPER-DEALS? (Maybe for returning a HD reciever for refund?)

D* Lease model - Did they think about this???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts