Status
Please reply by conversation.

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
during the week, since my installation was done, my h10 (which is in my bedroom) is acting weird. for some reason, it isn't recognizing where i live and therefore, not wanting to allow me to watch the tampa bay lightning.

the wizzes at tech support have no explaination. they have tried resending signals to the box. and i have pushed in the red reset button twice. i have to live with this problem until march 9. that's the earliest they can hook up the h20.

i have the right zip code entered. does anyone have any sort of idea what the heck is going on? all input would be appreciated. thanks.

during the week, since my installation was done, my h10 (which is in my bedroom) is acting weird. for some reason, it isn't recognizing where i live and therefore, not wanting to allow me to watch the tampa bay lightning.

the wizzes at tech support have no explaination. they have tried resending signals to the box. and i have pushed in the red reset button twice. i have to live with this problem until march 9. that's the earliest they can hook up the h20.

i have the right zip code entered. does anyone have any sort of idea what the heck is going on? all input would be appreciated. thanks.

Which channels you get has nothing to do with the zip code you enter. That tells you the azimuth, elevation, and tilt for installing your dish. The service address in D*'s database is what determines which channels you get.

What on-screen msg are you seeing when you tune to the RSN?

Are you still able to get your local affiliates?

Have you tried re-doing the entire initial setup with a "tech" (CS rep) on the phone?

Last edited:
i get a blank screen.....no message at all. i have spoken with 2 csr's in tech support. the first lady sent a signal to the receiver but since it was during the day, we couldn't tell if it solved the problem (and the games in question have been broadcast on sun sports alternate). she told me if the problem happened during a game to call.

i did last nite and i got this genius who told me to push the reset button.

btw, between him and his supervisor, they both tried to tell me i wasn't eligible to get the hockey game on hdnet because it was ``out-of-market.'' i have reported this to hdnet, who in turn just emailed d* and told them to resolve the problem.

genius......pure genius!!! i even told a csr in installation about my lightning game problem, trying to get my h20 here earlier (no luck). she told me to try tech support. yikes.

i get a blank screen.....no message at all. i have spoken with 2 csr's in tech support. the first lady sent a signal to the receiver but since it was during the day, we couldn't tell if it solved the problem (and the games in question have been broadcast on sun sports alternate). she told me if the problem happened during a game to call.

btw, between him and his supervisor, they both tried to tell me i wasn't eligible to get the hockey game on hdnet because it was ``out-of-market.'' i have reported this to hdnet, who in turn just emailed d* and told them to resolve the problem.

genius......pure genius!!! i even told a csr in installation about my lightning game problem, trying to get my h20 here earlier (no luck). she told me to try tech support. yikes.

Call D* back and ask them to call the installation company while your on the phone or to give you thier phone number, when you get them ask them about your insatall date and se if they can move it up any, if not , ask them to contact you if there is a cancellation.

I must have got lucky, cause I called them on a Tuesday and they said if I coud fit it in, they would do the install on Friday, or the next Saturday... I took Friday off, and didn't get my install done till Sunday around 4, frustrating while it happened, but worth it in the long run.

Jimbo

I think they are just applying the blackout rules. If a local station in your home DMA is broadcasting the game, DirecTV has to blackout the HDNet signal in the same DMA. It's not DirecTV's decision, it's part of the contract with the NHL. It's a mess, because of course your local station is broadcasting in only SD.

Sounds like I agree with the above assessment; although I wish they would put the "Not avail in your area" or some blackout msg up.. ICE: the next time it happens, during the game (not after) PM or post your zip and the game, I would like to look something up.

not trying to get off-topic texas...........none of the games i couldn't receive from hdnet were a blackout......even someone from hdnet told me that. she said i should have received the games and emailed my info to her contact at directv.

if they were showing the lightning, then blackout rules would prevail but they haven't. ya understand what i mean?

no, what i'm saying is that directv is preventing subscribers to hdnet the right to watch their thursday and saturday night broadcasts, saying you need to subscribe to nhl center ice.

back on topic. i still don't understand why i'm having my lightning hockey problem on just the receiver but not the hd dvr......even if they had incorrect info in their data base. but they double checked that friday and everything is correct. could it be a hardware problem? this is about the craziest thing yet!!!!!

Well I do not watch too much NHL unless a buddy wants to see it on my FPTV and I can say I have never had any issues receiving HDNet on those occasions. I too have DirecTV. I know my buddy in DFW and MEM watches as well.

I do know that HDNEt provided some area exclusive games for the Mavs:
http://www.hdnetsports.com/mavsonhdnet.html

and this is the HDNet blackout comment:

National Hockey League Blackout Information

Blackout restrictions apply to all NHL on HDNet games. Blackout restrictions are designed to protect the television rights holders in the competing teams' respective home markets. Blackouts are NOT based on arena sellouts.

An example would be if the St. Louis Blues are playing the New York Rangers, the local telecast areas of the Blues and Rangers will be blacked out on HDNet, regardless of whether the teams are televising locally.

If the teams are televising locally, HDNet subscribers can view the game on their over-the-air television station or their local regional sports network (RSN).

i understand that. however, there was no reason why i couldn't watch thursdays montreal-philly game on hdnet. i believe i encountered a very ignorant supervisor. that's okay because i emailed mark cuban directly and got a response from either him or an assistant, late thursday night. he aked the affiliate director to help me out.

but i was also smart enough to send a courtsey copy of my original email to hdnet's pr person. she has been most helpful, teling me if directv hadn't resolved this in a few days to let her know!!!!

Figured as much, thats why I said next time it happens (if it does) post ASAP so the rest of us can test it out from different markets.

okay. i notice tonites game is at 10:30, so i might be sleeping. if i don't make it tonite, thursday for sure (unless its a late start).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)