H20 installation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dervari

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
Atlanta, GA
If I mail order an H20 w/rebate from one of the sponsors, how do I go about getting installation? If I can get the receiver for $99 + $15 installation from DTV, wouldn't I be better going that route? I'm guessing that getting someone to install the system without purchasing it from them would be well over $100.

Info needed please. I too want to purchase the H20 but have a question. :confused: I have never upgraded before.
I imagine it is easy to install the H20, just moving wires from old receiver to new.
What are the steps to then activate the new receiver and card? Can it be done on the D* website?
Also, what do you do with the old receiver? Do you need to save it?

Thanks much for your help.
Paulyme
:)

:flag:

I'm in Atlanta....

Realistically, is the H20 upgrade really of any use WITHOUT the new dish? If that's the case, looks like I'll be going the DTV upgrade route. :(

Well, I just called VE and was told the antenna was an additional $140 plus installation, so it looks like I'll be going the DTV upgrade route. :(

Just got off the phone with D* and I ordered the 5 LNB Dish w/H20 receiver upgrade. I was told the cost was $99 (+tx) and installation is scheduled for Dec 3rd. After reading all the info here at the site, I figured what the hell, might as well since I'll have to upgrade eventually. I'm in Philadelphia, Pa and have not seen any post from this city. I'll let everyone knows how it goes......, "IRONWOOD is the intall company :eek: :eek: ". I'll keep my fingers crossed.

h 20 upgrade

hey free 1..does that price include the h20, the 5 lnb, and all installation. Im in the philly market and I like that price!
thanks
paulyme :yes

Yes my friend, it does. But only for existing HD subs. New HD customers will have to pay $299(+tx) for the H20 and 5 LNB equipment w/$200 in mail-in rebate (according to D*) which will equate to $99 total. ;)

Just spoke with D* again today (11/30) and confirmed that I will get a full rebate ($99) for this upgrade. No mention of D* taking my existing HD receiver and I'm not going to mention it when install is complete. I figure I paid for this receiver out of my pocket and will keep it for future use (if any). :yes :yes

free-1 said:
Yes my friend, it does. But only for existing HD subs. New HD customers will have to pay $299(+tx) for the H20 and 5 LNB equipment w/$200 in mail-in rebate (according to D*) which will equate to $99 total. ;)

Actually this is a little bit different. I just ordered my H20 and 5LNB dish for $249. Shipping and handling is $14.99 and tax was about $20 in CA. After the $200 rebate it will be roughly $85 after tax and shipping.

I am a new HD subscriber.

You may just be right, I may have misunderstood the CSR when she quoted $299 - it may have been $249. Sorry for the slip up. :shocked

It's only $299 if you are a new HD customer, If you are a current HD customer it is only $99, but I have see people get it for free.

Can I go ahead and request the HD upgrade to the H20 even though I'm in the macon Market and won't be changed to mp4 till next year sometime??

Hey, sounds like there's all type of prices. Even some people getting it free. Must be who you talk to @ D.

yukon said:
Can I go ahead and request the HD upgrade to the H20 even though I'm in the macon Market and won't be changed to mp4 till next year sometime??
I don't think you can via D* but through a vendor (BB, CC, VE) yes

You can get the H20, but you might not be able to get the 5lnb dish yet--at least not shipped to a DMA outside the top 36. Got relatives? :)

Cheers,
Tom

When I tell D* I moved and give them the new address are they gonna ask any questions that I need to be aware of or is it pretty straight forward and quick? I'm gonna buy the Dish and H20 off of Ebay and put it up and move to Atlanta right quick I want my locals in HD pretty bad. I know its just TV, but some people like TV the right way..hehe thanks

Confused

I'm in the SF Area and I believe that the MPEG-4 rollout is underway. Can I get the H20 for free? $199 - $200 mail-in rebate? What about the antenna? It looks like the antenna has six cables out? So this will require something like the Zinwell WB68. Now this is where it gets tricky. Currently, I have 2 Zinwells 4x8 multiplexers. half of the outputs on one go to the second. This gives me 12 available outputs. I have receivers/TiVo boxes using 9 of the outputs. Does anyone know how installers are getting 9+ cables connected to the new dish?

Thanks,
Rick

Hey Rick,

The 5lnb dish has 4 cables going to any internal switches. The other two ports on the Zinwell wb68 are for the international channels and small market SD locals which come via separate dishes. You won't need for SF locals and you'd know if you sub to the other stuff. :)

Many people (including myself) are recommending you have at least 4 coax from the dish to the inside switch location, plus 1 coax for OTA.

As for providing switches for 12 ports, the installers should bring the right equipment: two switches and 4 power pass splitters to split the signals from the dish to the switches. I lived in East Bay and they did me right--tho he did have to confer with his supervisor on how to do it...

Cheers and have fun with the upgrade,
Tom

yukon said:
When I tell D* I moved and give them the new address are they gonna ask any questions that I need to be aware of or is it pretty straight forward and quick? I'm gonna buy the Dish and H20 off of Ebay and put it up and move to Atlanta right quick I want my locals in HD pretty bad. I know its just TV, but some people like TV the right way..hehe thanks

Get it all setup and then give them a call and tell them you just moved and that you already have everything in place, and don't need an installer... Thats what I did! Very simple, but since it is the new HD dish they MAY insist on an installer comming out to check it; but I don't think they will.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)