H20 networking with HR20?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnjroy

Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Does anyone know if the H20 is capable of a software upgrade to allow it to network with the HR20 allowing it to view the recorded content on the HR20's hard drive? I think this would be a great feature if it is software capable.

John

That would be great if DirecTV did something like that. Perhaps use the FTM module for the devices to communicate with each other. That would mean that only the one device would have to be connected to the internet connection and all of them would then have on-demand content. I think having the option of one central DVR would be great. They would have to increase the number of tuners that the central DVR had to at least 4, but isn't something like this possible in the future with the FTM technology?

I don't know much about the FTM, but I know that DirecTV was looking at using HomePlugAV to network future receivers together similar to the way Echostar's DishComm works. The difference would be a much greater bandwidth (200Mbps vs. 14Mbps) to support sending recordings from the central DVR to any other receiver in the home.

Maybe not from a HR20 but D*'s supposed to have a media center STB one of these days and one of it's functions was to be able to view content on other D* STB's in the home. A number of folks have asked for Multi Room Viewing as a feature to be added to the HR20 and the 'rumor' mill hasn't flat out said no to it, so maybe one da we will see it.

Maybe not from a HR20 but D*'s supposed to have a media center STB one of these days and one of it's functions was to be able to view content on other D* STB's in the home. A number of folks have asked for Multi Room Viewing as a feature to be added to the HR20 and the 'rumor' mill hasn't flat out said no to it, so maybe one da we will see it.

Yep. That's the one I was refering to.

Yep. That's the one I was refering to.

Not much as been said about the HMC since they showed a box at a trade show, I know a bunch of folks would like to see one. Hopefully D* hasn't decided to backtrack on that one. But if they would ad multi room viewing as a HR20 feature that would make me happy.

I know. I hate fighting with the wife and son to watch my recorded shows. As Scott said, they could be fighting it out with the content providers who are worried about copyrighted material being shared between neighbors or over the Internet. I only know that the technology for sharing between receivers is ready to go.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)