H20 vs. HR20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

swampman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
South Louisiana
Between these two receivers, I have to assume the HR20 series is the "higher end" one, yet just one of my pet peevs about the HR20 is the lack of OTA scanning feature that the H20 has. The H20 scans while the HR20 uses Directv database of channels. Why would the H20 have it and not the HR20? I would love to have my missing sub-channels that my Tivo brought in. And is there something Directv can do about it?

Between these two receivers, I have to assume the HR20 series is the "higher end" one, yet just one of my pet peevs about the HR20 is the lack of OTA scanning feature that the H20 has. The H20 scans while the HR20 uses Directv database of channels. Why would the H20 have it and not the HR20? I would love to have my missing sub-channels that my Tivo brought in. And is there something Directv can do about it?

I'm not sure why D* changed to a preset database for the OTA channels, I agree it was a step backward, the older rec.'s even did the scan.
There was alot of talk about it back when the HR20's first came out.

If your actually comparing the H20 and HR 20, the major obvious difference is the DVR funtion, other than that, they should be identical.

Jimbo

I really hope he was meaning HR20 and HR21.

Well, if he did then I responded incorrectly :(
I think his main point is about the lack of being able to SCAN for OTA channels, and I agree with him, it's rediculous that they no longer do this.
He also mentioned scanning in another thread.

Jimbo

No, he meant the H20 because it can scan OTA, unlike the HR20.

Q. when you were able to scan, were you able to scan one market and then scan a secandary market without losing the first one ?
I have to reposition the OTA antenna to get the second one.

I did this years back and don't remember what I found.

Jimbo

Well from what I've read, the H20 will scan in the same manner that the Tivo HR10-250 would. Picking up all channels and sub channels in the area. If I remember correctly, it was by zipcode.

The H20 doesn't really care about markets except maybe for guide data. If you live in the middle of 3 or more markets you could get all of the channels and subchannels as long as the signal is strong enough. I wish the HR2x's used this method as well. D* doesn't carry fox in my area and it was several months before they finally added it to their list on the HR2x.

Richard

Well from what I've read, the H20 will scan in the same manner that the Tivo HR10-250 would. Picking up all channels and sub channels in the area. If I remember correctly, it was by zipcode.

I get sub channels from my OTA antenna thru the HR20-700

Jimbo

does direc require you to subscribe to locals in order to get the guide data? E* does. that's why i ask.

does direc require you to subscribe to locals in order to get the guide data? E* does. that's why i ask.

Locals are now included in all packages.

You can also decline the Locals if you want, I do, because I get all my locals for FREE with the OTA antenna.
No need to give them anymore money than nessasary.

Jimbo

You can also decline the Locals if you want, I do, because I get all my locals for FREE with the OTA antenna.
No need to give them anymore money than nessasary.

Jimbo

yes but at dish if you remove the locals they also remove the guide info.

One noticeable difference (besides the obvious lack of DVR functionality), is that the H20 has a faster response time using the remote than the HR20.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts