H21-100 - what a POS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnm356

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
H21-100 - what a POS.

I had an H20 till about 2 months ago, when I had it swapped out due to its constant resetting to a blank guide (all channels would appear as 0-0 every morning).

They sent a new (or rather refurbed) H21 via FedEx, and it only took a call to swap it out. What a mistake.

This POS hasn't worked as expected for an entire 48 hour period since I got it.
Constant problems. It nearly always loses sound when switching from a SD channel to an HD one, requiring a power off to restore the sound. This thing resets to a blank guide almost every night, requiring a reset to restore the channels. Now, about every other day, it resets to NOTHING, requiring me to go through the "guided setup" from scratch every morning. Today, all my local channels disappeared, even though I get a good signal strength reading on 110, all in the 90's. Reset and go through the setup again and nothing.

Called DTV and got nothing there either, except a promise from a tech that they're "aware of the problem" and that a new software upgrade will be available "any day now" - uh huh... suuuure.

Nevermind that this refurbed POS they sent me hasn't worked right from day one. Meanwhile I have 3 add'l SD receivers in the house that haven't even hiccuped once since they were installed 3 years ago, no problems, never.

It's enough to make me go back to cable... My contract is up in August, I think I will...

He said a H21, not HR21.

If you're not getting anywhere with the CSR's send a nice, calm, clear e-mail to ellen.filipiak@directv.com which is D*'s version of the E* CEO e-mail address, maybe they can help.

BTW, I have a H21-200 and no problem with that box, it's been very stable.

Last edited:
my H21-200 works better than my hr21-100. the thing is like lightning! very fast and reliable so far.

Do what Rad suggested, and send an Email to that adress. You will get a phone call in less then 8 hours. I've done it twice, both times D* took care of it. Including sending out a Technition Free of charge, without Protection plain. I got a $200 rebate on a new HR-21, That I still haven't used yet, Plus Free Premier Pack for 3 months with HD extra pack. They went above and beyond. Very Happy!

Yep but a general statement like his claiming the series is a POS; but in reality that does not apply was my point. HIS unit may be a POS; there can be differing reasons why; even reasons that may not lie at the unit's feet. Considering he took a refurb; I would agree it lies there though. He should have the protection plan and should get another unit.

Yep but a general statement like his claiming the series is a POS; but in reality that does not apply was my point. HIS unit may be a POS; there can be differing reasons why; even reasons that may not lie at the unit's feet. Considering he took a refurb; I would agree it lies there though. He should have the protection plan and should get another unit.

The fact that he got a Refurbished one should not be a problem.
He probably didn't have an option as to a New or refurbed one.
I've had a refurbed HR20 for a year or two with no problems at all.

Jimbo

When you have the protection plan ,they still give you refurbished receivers. You get what they give you. Very rarely do you get brand new equipment. Unless a technition is at your house and he happends to have one in his van. And if that H21 is anything like the old H20. Then it is a POS. H20 was the worst receiver I've ever owned.

I still have one H21-600.

When I first got it it was as the OP say's a POS. Constant freezing, reboots, dropped audio etc. I had this box changed out 3 times, each for the same reasons.

The 4th H21 is a 100, is now 2 years old and has had no issues in that time.

It was very frustrating, at the time it was my primary box, so the frustration level was pretty high. After patiently waiting, explaining, cajoling CSR's and keeping my temper, it was finally resolved to my satisfaction.

Yesterday I sent an email to the address provided above (thanks RAD), explaining my situation, and I actually got a call back this AM.
Seems last night they sent a new update - 0x407E
Strangely though, it shows this update as being the original firmware, and NOT an update - the old version (yesterday) was 0x406a

We'll see if this one works...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)