Customer Candidate

New features
None for this release

Improved/Updated
Under the hood

Notes
This release features the new HD UI.
You may need to re-enter IAMANEDGECUTTER to send logs
This CE may remove your guide cache. Please allow up to 24 hrs to restore your full 14 day guide.
Your STB may restart during idle time within the first 24-48 hours of CE download
You will lose your guide cache when reverting from CE to national.
Please do not report sluggish issues or missing search results within the first 12 hours after download.

"Under-the-hood" and "stability" improvements are expected with every release and are not noted here.

New features
None

Improved/Updated
{CE 28:01} 0x04FD
UMightLike!
Interactive content downloads separately
{CE 28:03} 0x0552
HDGUI
{CE 28:04} 0x559
Fixed red screen issue
{CE 28:09} 0x0573
MRV Stability
Parental Control Stability

How do you force the download during the window of opp , I can't remember , I know its while your rebooting the reciever , and have to type hit some numbers on the remote , could someone give me the short version......Thx!

Well, just learned about this CE thing a couple days ago, downloaded it last night, and I'm loving the HD interface. Thanks, boys, and to the OP I enjoyed watching Michigan get crushed. Bye bye top 25.

Same here, and I'm glad I did. I just forced v.0576 on 3 HR-23's and 1 HR-24.

I love the new GUI; however, I don't understand why, just like the previous guide, it isnt wide screen all the time, rather than be based on the actual broadcast resolution of the tuned to channel (e.g. 480i)? I imagine it has to do with the PIP being shown in the upper left, but still I don't see why the guide can't be 1080i all the time with the PIP at 480i or whatever resoltion is being broadcast for the channel.

The first picture shows when I am tuned to Channel 285, which is being broadcast at 480i, and the second shows when I am tuned to Channel 11, which is being broadcast at 1080i. You can see the 6 inch wide black bars between the Picture and the TV's bezel on the 480i picture.

IMG-20111106-00003.jpgIMG-20111106-00004.jpg

You likely have your output setup as NATIVE = ON; change it to NATIVE = OFF; SCREEN FORMAT = ORIGINAL and set/press the FORMAT BUTTON to set either 720p or 1080i and ORIGINAL

I tested mine on the same channels as you and mine was always wide screen. (I had to use my local chnl)

chaper1 - Thanks for the help. I have done as you suggested using 1080i resolution + Original format (Screen format is unaltered), and yes now the menu is always wide screen, however, so are the broadcast pictures. Channel 285 has just narrow bars on the top and bottom of the screen and 246 has no bars at all. I don't understand how it is filling the full screen width now though without altering (stretching or zooming) the original format.

chaper1 - Thanks for the help. I have done as you suggested using 1080i resolution + Original format (Screen format is unaltered), and yes now the menu is always wide screen, however, so are the broadcast pictures. Channel 285 has just narrow bars on the top and bottom of the screen and 246 has no bars at all. I don't understand how it is filling the full screen width now though without altering (stretching or zooming) the original format.
Sounds to me like 1 channel is hd and is filling the Chanel correctly, while the other is a channel showing a sd program.
The smal bars at top and bottom are normal depending on the format being sent out.

Jimbo - Both channels are broadcast at 480i native. When the box is set to 1080i resolution + Original format (Screen format is unaltered), somehow the picture manages to fill the full width of the screen with no apprent alteration (stretching or zooming) of the original format. It is a welcome improvement over using Native as I have been; I just don't understand how this is being achieved. I mean how can a square image be converted into a rectangle image without alteration?

Jimbo - Both channels are broadcast at 480i native. When the box is set to 1080i resolution + Original format (Screen format is unaltered), somehow the picture manages to fill the full width of the screen with no apprent alteration (stretching or zooming) of the original format. It is a welcome improvement over using Native as I have been; I just don't understand how this is being achieved. I mean how can a square image be converted into a rectangle image without alteration?

Check the format of your television also.

as mentioned not all HD programs will be 16x9 aspect ratio and fill the entire screen; not all HD channels show "full 16x9" all the time; some will be pillar-boxed and some will stretch full-screen; make your TV setting to display "NORMAL" or "ORIGINAL"

In other words OP, currently, because the way programming is, there is not going to be any one size fits all setting that makes everything look exactly the same way all the time.

charper1 said:
as mentioned not all HD programs will be 16x9 aspect ratio and fill the entire screen; not all HD channels show "full 16x9" all the time; some will be pillar-boxed and some will stretch full-screen; make your TV setting to display "NORMAL" or "ORIGINAL"

In other words OP, currently, because the way programming is, there is not going to be any one size fits all setting that makes everything look exactly the same way all the time.

If you have the aspect ratio to pillar box on your receiver, the UI gets squished. It would be tough to have the guide be displayed in 16x9 format because the TV or receiver would have to change formats every time you pressed a button when viewing an SD channel.

I do not have mine on pillar nor did I say to set it to that; what I said is that some HD channels and programs will not always be 16x9 (or the appearance of full screen) and may appear pillar-boxed. I should also add some may appears and letter-boxed or window-boxed.

Not exactly sure how you misconstrued me to be advocating the pillar-boxed setup though.

OK, so I turned it back to the old GUI on mine (from 0576). I have to say, that although I like the effort for speed and crispness, i really felt like I was straining my eyes to see my selections. Dark print on yellow is one of the least straining color schemes and especially good for the smaller television in our room. Also, although I thought people were overboard with the status bar at the bottom of a recording, I actually find that I agree with them. LESS is more, Directv. Look at the status bar on Roku's Netflix app. It's very clean, the way it should be. I know they are probably thinking incremental steps to their full realization of this, but I hope it gets to my house later than sooner now.

I ran the updates last night for my H23-600 & HR23-700 just after 10 pm cst like I usually do. I had the new guide interface before but now I'm back to the old one on both stb. On my HR23-700, the software version reads "0x4d1, Yesterday, 10:15p" What happened???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)