h24-700 hook up problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

71trstag

Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
canton, georgia
use to be a direct subscriber and then went to dish...now back to direct, where i use to take my receiver and connect with ease when i was on the road.... had the idea of taking my h24-700 in my rv when i travel...but it won't work! putting a signal meter in line does not even get a signal. however when hooking up an independent signal meter, direct to the lnb's produces a good signal. the dish i'm using is a slimline 5 ...I have reviewed several post that mention a "power inserter" what is this? is it necessary to put it in line between lnb/dish and the h24-700? I would point out that the receiver works perfectly when i'm at home and have it hooked to it's regular position.

use to be a direct subscriber and then went to dish...now back to direct, where i use to take my receiver and connect with ease when i was on the road.... had the idea of taking my h24-700 in my rv when i travel...but it won't work! putting a signal meter in line does not even get a signal. however when hooking up an independent signal meter, direct to the lnb's produces a good signal. the dish i'm using is a slimline 5 ...I have reviewed several post that mention a "power inserter" what is this? is it necessary to put it in line between lnb/dish and the h24-700? I would point out that the receiver works perfectly when i'm at home and have it hooked to it's regular position.

Welcome to the site.

Are you using the SAME dish in both locations ?
The Power inserter is only used with a SWM set up, is this what your using at home ?

The Slimline 5 does NOT use the power inserter, it gets it's voltage from the recvr.

You will also need your BBC's for the HD portion of the H24, but that won't effect the signal, you should be peaking on the 101 when setting up the SL5

Thanks, Jimbo. it is not the same dish..at home it is the new swm8 and that dish is connected to 5 receivers, including the one i took in the rv,which works at home. on the road i used a slimeline 5 and directly connected it to the h24-700...nothing, no signal...yet when i attached a self powered sat finder meter to the dish, it instantly found 101 with a 90% signal! I changed rg6 3 times and still nothing....

Last edited:
Thanks, Jimbo. it is not the same dish..at home it is the new swm8 and that dish is connected to 5 receivers, including the one i took in the rv,which works at home. on the road i used a slimeline 5 and directly connected it to the h24-700...nothing, no signal...yet when i attached a self powered sat finder meter to the dish, it instantly found 101 with a 90% signal! I changed rg6 3 times and still nothing....

Easy fix.

You need to go into the Sat set up to reconfigure the dish set up when you change locations.

When your home, the LNB gets the voltage from the Power Insertor thats tied into the SWM set up. If you go into your menus you'll see the DISH settings say SWM when your home.

When you go to the other location, the recvr is still set on SWM and it doesn't see the same voltage (no power insertor) so it searches.

You need to go into the Repeat Sat set up section and make the change to the one that says Slimline 5.

Go to :
Menu- Set Up-System Setup- Sat and Antenna-Repeat Sat Set Up - dash-

Once you get the recvr set up on the SL5 dish you'll have access to change this setting.

Highlight the Dish Type and hit select and it will give you a drop down to find Slimline 5
Also change the Switch Type to Multiswitch

At this point continue thru the process and you should be good to go.

IF your wanting HD , you will need your BBC's when on the SL5 set up, but NOT for the SWM set up at home.

I'd have a similiar situation.

I'm looking to upgrade to HD24-700 for my home & also use occasionally in my RV; RV has a non-HD dish.

Will the HD24 work fine in my RV & will just not have HD.

I'd have a similiar situation.

I'm looking to upgrade to HD24-700 for my home & also use occasionally in my RV; RV has a non-HD dish.

Will the HD24 work fine in my RV & will just not have HD.

Yes, but you too need to run the Repeat Sat Setup and change it to the correct dish type before you'll get a signal.

DVR Question

If I purchase a HD Receiver,
am I required to have DVR Services on my account?

Or can I elect not to use the DVR function & not pay monthly fee?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)