H3 and OTA dongle...which USB port?

blackjackmark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Central IL
just got the OTA Dongle and plugged it into the USB 3.0 port on the Hopper 3, but can the 2.0 port be used instead for the OTA dongle? Thought I'd ask before I yank everything back out, only to find it doesn't work! :)

Also my antenna is amplified and uses a USB adapter to power it, so was thinking of plugging it into the other USB port to power it to eliminate some clutter. Any idea what power can be drawn from the USB without damaging it?

just got the OTA Dongle and plugged it into the USB 3.0 port on the Hopper 3, but can the 2.0 port be used instead for the OTA dongle? Thought I'd ask before I yank everything back out, only to find it doesn't work! :)

Also my antenna is amplified and uses a USB adapter to power it, so was thinking of plugging it into the other USB port to power it to eliminate some clutter. Any idea what power can be drawn from the USB without damaging it?
Makes NO difference. Save the 3 for a 3 EHD, if ever, whenever.

I would not use the Hopper3 to power your antenna amplifier. What is the wattage of your antenna amplifier? For several years, Dish has always recommended that external hard drives have their own power supply.

You could use a powered USB hub to supply the power.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I would not use the Hopper3 to power your antenna amplifier. What is the wattage of your antenna amplifier? For several years, Dish has always recommended that external hard drives have their own power supply.

You could use a powered USB hub to supply the power.
I just tried it and evidently it doesn't provide enough power. The specs call for 5V 1.0A output for the antenna. Looks like that's more than a typical USB, wasn't able to find the exact specs that Hopper 3 is capable of outputting.

Makes NO difference. Save the 3 for a 3 EHD, if ever, whenever.
That's what I figured, since the instructions on the Dish site didn't specify, but I tried it and it didn't work... then again, I don't think I let it reboot the Hopper, and it seems that's required anytime it's disconnected and reconnected?

That's what I figured, since the instructions on the Dish site didn't specify, but I tried it and it didn't work... then again, I don't think I let it reboot the Hopper, and it seems that's required anytime it's disconnected and reconnected?

When you set one of those up, after you do the local channel scan you have to reboot. And I set one up about a year ago and it worked out perfect on a hopper three

They're pretty nice. I did an install of one of the OTA's we sell, mounted to the mast of the Dish south of Bloomington, IL last spring and it picked up 37 channels

Only re-boot required is the initial one when first installed. Later disconnects do not require such.

1A is a pretty hefty load. I wouldn't count on a Hopper for that kinda load. Make sure any powered hub provides at least that much.

How do I tell which port is 3.0 and which is 2.0?

On my HWS I could not get the EHD to work on the front USB port. I plugged my OTA dongle into the front port and my two EHDs into the back ports.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts