H3 Home Media

Jasper70

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2016
Sequim,WA
Does anyone know if the H3 Home Media will support any video formats other than MP4? I'm thinking specifically about MKV since 4K will now be included.

The problem with MKV is there's too many variations of it (that may not be the proper, technical description, I realize). On the Hopper w/Sling, some MKVs work while others (most) do not.

Obviously, I don't have a Hopper 3 yet, but I did some testing with my sling Hopper. I've been using the m2ts format for Blu-Rays.
I decided to try for a mkv. I use DVDFab 9. Using the Blu-Ray of Avengers Age of Ultron I did a MKV passthrough. It made the file in just under an hour and the file size was 29Gb.
I use TVersity for my DLNA server. I started watching the movie on the hopper and it played fine for a while. It started to stutter but I think it may be because my computer is old and couldn't keep up with such a large file. To give you an idea of how old it is. The manual for the motherboard is copyright 2007 and the computer only has 2Gb of memory.

I know. I really need to upgrade. It's on the list but never seems to come to the top.

Most of my mp4 files are around 1 GB in size and IMO, look fine. 29 GB? What size is movie straight off the disc?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

The 29 Gb size should be the size of the movie on the disc. The passthrough mode is a lossless mode.
I typically use MP4 for DVDs and M2ts for Blu-Rays.
Age of Ultron as an m2ts is 6.7Gb.
Iron Man 1 as an MP4 is 3.5Gb.
The mkv file that I did was just for a test. I would be close to running out of room if I did all my Blu-Rays at 29Gb.
I currently have 6Tb of space for movies. And 4.5 Tb for pictures, mp3s and camcorder videos.

I just wish they would fix their Home Media player to actually support the formats correctly. I have over 3/4 of my home media library which plays on every other piece of hardware or software that supports DLNA but WILL NOT play on the Hopper or Joeys. Really makes for a sad day of trying to use this as the main "tuner" for my tv's

I just wish they would fix their Home Media player to actually support the formats correctly. I have over 3/4 of my home media library which plays on every other piece of hardware or software that supports DLNA but WILL NOT play on the Hopper or Joeys. Really makes for a sad day of trying to use this as the main "tuner" for my tv's
Try http://tvmobili.com/ :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts