Hade a great install today

boomerang

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 21, 2003
Michigan
Like others, I sometimes have a tendency to dwell on the negative. So I thought I'd relate my experiences today with an upgrade to a 722 - going to HD baby! I have a question at the end too.

I called last Saturday and was given a time between 12 and 5 today, Thursday. Last night, I received a call from the automated system confirming the appt. Today I received a call about 12:30 saying the technician would arrive in a half an hour. He showed up right on time.

I already had a Dish 500 for 110 and 119. He could not get a line of site for 129 (thank goodness) or 61.5 from that dish (on a pole in the yard). He installed a second dish for 61.5 on the house. He was neat, polite and very conscientious. He did a nice clean install. I'm very happy with his workmanship.

My question is should an HDMI cable have come with the receiver? I didn't see one and forgot to ask. I have no need for it now. The HD TV is now on order and I won't need it until it arrives. I didn't want to spend the money on an HD TV if couldn't get HD because of LOS issues.

Yes, thanks to you both. I seemed to remember reading here that they did not come with a cable, but wanted to make sure before I ordered one.
you can order real solid hdmi cables from ebay real cheap. i've bought from monoprice and i really don't see the difference. make sure the cables are thick with gold plated ends.

Jeesh, I just realized I fat-fingered an "e" on the end of Had in the title. Looks like I can't change the title. I'm embarrassed!

Last edited:
Jeesh, I just realized I fat-fingered an "e" on the end of Had in the title. Looks like I can't change the title. I'm embarrassed!

Don't sweat it. Misspellings and bad grammar are an art form around here — from the top down! Lose & loose, half & have, the list is long indeed. ;)

Glad your install went well.

Hmm.. That's interesting - when I upgraded to two 722s about a month ago, the installer gave me 2 HDMI cables and connected each 722 to the HDTVs that I have with those cables. It definitely wasn't in the box, but he had them in the truck. I figured that that was standard with the HD installation given the fact that you had the HDMI ports available on your tv?

This is how new netspeak is created! Feel proud to know that some future netizen will use your misspelled word intentionally!

LOL!!!!1111!!!1!!! :D

The RSP I'll be going to work for again in a couple months in this area now provides HDMI cables on HD installs and upgrades. We did not provide them free of charge until 3 months ago or so.

Of course, your experience will vary. :)

I should have posted before, I had a tech come out monday and setup a new VIP 612 DVR, not only did he set it up quickly, he changed the setup nicely so that my VIP 622 only needs one line comming into the house so I dont need an extra wire and he cleaned up the cables outside that the previous guy didnt do too well. I was very happy he was from Italy, that is the third guy I have had from Italy and they have all been really nice.

Dish Network now charges for HDMI cables. In-house techs use to be able to give them away and order them as "expendables" but they are now considered sellable, for $20, paid by Credit Card over the phone (assuming the tech stocked his van properly)

If you received an HDMI cable for free you either had a really nice sub-contractor or retailer do your upgrade/install, or you had a uninformed DNS technician.

dish actually does offer an hdmi cable for an extra 20.00 dollars when an hd reciever is being installed for new connects or for upgrades. its a shame it was not offered to you at the time of your order, but at least now anyone on the forum knows they can ask if they too are not offered.

p.s., glad your enjoying your new hd.
Well, I will when the HD TV arrives. But thanks!

Boy does that 722 get hot! Hope that's normal.

Much, much more to it than the 721 I had. I'll be messing with this for a while until I figure it all out.

Well, I will when the HD TV arrives. But thanks!

Boy does that 722 get hot! Hope that's normal.

Much, much more to it than the 721 I had. I'll be messing with this for a while until I figure it all out.
You will need to read this thread about keeping your 722 cool. Congrats on the good install. You can't go wrong with monoprice.

I too just upgrded to HD. What a difference in the picture!!!!!!!! I read prior to my upgrade, that with HD you would watch things just because they were in HD............that's been pretty much what I have been doing

I too just upgrded to HD. What a difference in the picture!!!!!!!! I read prior to my upgrade, that with HD you would watch things just because they were in HD............that's been pretty much what I have been doing

this is why I went with Dish and the HD only package (just got in before the metal packages started in August). I don't really miss those other channels, although I do wish I had a way to get NBC/CBS/FOX/ABC in HD through dish, Reno isn't on the list HD available markets

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts