Half-Life 3 is in development, says Counter-Strike co-creator

I'd argue that the bigger news is that there's a new Left 4 Dead game coming. I mean it's pretty obvious that HL3 is in development. It's just been taking FOREVER. Quite frankly I don't care. Hell I'd have to go to Wikipedia to see where the hell the story left off. I mean HL2 was good, but I don't think it's the mecca of gaming like many others seem to claim it to be.

I'd argue that the bigger news is that there's a new Left 4 Dead game coming. I mean it's pretty obvious that HL3 is in development. It's just been taking FOREVER. Quite frankly I don't care. Hell I'd have to go to Wikipedia to see where the hell the story left off. I mean HL2 was good, but I don't think it's the mecca of gaming like many others seem to claim it to be.

Yep, I'm far more excited for more Left 4 Dead than Half Life 3. Between Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 I probably put 200+ hundred hours in on Xbox Live. I bought them again after I built my PC so I could get into all the mod support but I haven't tried it out yet. Rumors that a sequel might not be that far off make me want to get back into it.

They have waited so long for Half Life 3 that I think they are going to be disappointed at the response when it finally does come out. I think it's pretty tough for most franchises to go 10 years between sequels and still expect people to care. Plus, I'm still playing video games as an adult but a large chunk of the gaming audience that was really into Half-Life 2 might not even be playing video games anymore. Then you have to rely on selling Half Life 3 to people who may or may not have played 1 and 2.

Then there is the Duke Nukem problem. The longer you keep people waiting for a sequel the better it has to be to make the fans happy. With every year that goes by Half Life 2 becomes more and more sacred. People who have been asking for Half Life 3 for the last 10 years have built up Half Life 2 into the holy grail in their mind. It's almost 100% certainty that these people will consider Half Life 3 a disappointment that isn't as good as Half Life 2 was no matter how good of a product Valve puts out.

Yep, I'm far more excited for more Left 4 Dead than Half Life 3. Between Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 I probably put 200+ hundred hours in on Xbox Live. I bought them again after I built my PC so I could get into all the mod support but I haven't tried it out yet. Rumors that a sequel might not be that far off make me want to get back into it.

They have waited so long for Half Life 3 that I think they are going to be disappointed at the response when it finally does come out. I think it's pretty tough for most franchises to go 10 years between sequels and still expect people to care. Plus, I'm still playing video games as an adult but a large chunk of the gaming audience that was really into Half-Life 2 might not even be playing video games anymore. Then you have to rely on selling Half Life 3 to people who may or may not have played 1 and 2.

Then there is the Duke Nukem problem. The longer you keep people waiting for a sequel the better it has to be to make the fans happy. With every year that goes by Half Life 2 becomes more and more sacred. People who have been asking for Half Life 3 for the last 10 years have built up Half Life 2 into the holy grail in their mind. It's almost 100% certainty that these people will consider Half Life 3 a disappointment that isn't as good as Half Life 2 was no matter how good of a product Valve puts out.
I think that there's still a big contingent of players who played HL2. It was released on basically every system and the worldwide gamer base is arguably larger now than it was back in 2004.

Also I don't think this can be compared to Duke Nukem Forever. By the time that game came out, I don't think anyone was realistically expecting the game to be worth a 15 year wait (Christ, that game was in development half of my life), because most educated people realized that that wasn't delayed so long so they could fine tune it, but because the project was headed by a complete control-freak/perfectionist. Hell I remember reading stories about how it was a big deal that DNF switching game engines after the first big trailer had been released. I can't imagine how awful it must have been for those developers, knowing how much of their work had to be scrapped, and constantly stuff scrapped and redone again and again, not because what they were doing was wrong, but because they had an insane boss. I would easily pay $100 for a tell-all book from the people who worked on DNF.

Half Life 3 on the other hand is being handled by Valve, who have a pretty damn good reputation behind them. Honestly I think the delay isn't so much to be perfectionists, but because Valve is developing something very special and unique. HL2 introduced the Source Engine, which is still being used today (although with Unreal out there I'm not sure why.) And Valve has proven with games like Team Fortress 2, they don't mind changing things up to do something different.

Still, like I said I'm not waited with baited breath for Gabe to come out and formally announce HL3, but I think that as long as they do it before 2020 and make it half way (no pun intended) decent then it'll be considered a success.

I think that there's still a big contingent of players who played HL2. It was released on basically every system and the worldwide gamer base is arguably larger now than it was back in 2004.

Also I don't think this can be compared to Duke Nukem Forever. By the time that game came out, I don't think anyone was realistically expecting the game to be worth a 15 year wait (Christ, that game was in development half of my life), because most educated people realized that that wasn't delayed so long so they could fine tune it, but because the project was headed by a complete control-freak/perfectionist. Hell I remember reading stories about how it was a big deal that DNF switching game engines after the first big trailer had been released. I can't imagine how awful it must have been for those developers, knowing how much of their work had to be scrapped, and constantly stuff scrapped and redone again and again, not because what they were doing was wrong, but because they had an insane boss. I would easily pay $100 for a tell-all book from the people who worked on DNF.

Half Life 3 on the other hand is being handled by Valve, who have a pretty damn good reputation behind them. Honestly I think the delay isn't so much to be perfectionists, but because Valve is developing something very special and unique. HL2 introduced the Source Engine, which is still being used today (although with Unreal out there I'm not sure why.) And Valve has proven with games like Team Fortress 2, they don't mind changing things up to do something different.

Still, like I said I'm not waited with baited breath for Gabe to come out and formally announce HL3, but I think that as long as they do it before 2020 and make it half way (no pun intended) decent then it'll be considered a success.

I'm not saying it will be a bad game like Duke Nukem was when it finally came out. I probably shouldn't have used that comparison because I do think Valve will do a much better job than that. My point was, after 10 years the legend of Half Life 2 continues to spiral farther and farther from reality. Every year that people ask for Half Life 3 and don't get it the hyperbole that gets used when describing Half Life 2 gets a little more extreme. At this point it will be almost impossible for them to make a game that can live up to the impossible expectations people are putting on them.

I don't get nearly as excited as I used to for these nostalgic followups for the most part.

I am more excited for Evolve, from the L4D team.

I'm looking forward to this one too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)